1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Church discipline

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, May 11, 2012.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are excuses that I have heard for a church not confronting sin in the assembly and in the staff.

We can't address the problem, they are good tithers ...

Christ said to let the tares and wheat grow up and He will separate them.

What will it take to keep this quiet

How dare you destroy the unity of the assembly.

His parents are ... and this must be dealt with through them.

I don't have time to deal with this right now.

What if they ask for their donation to the building fund back.

How dare you bring accusations against a man of God.

Those without sin should cast the first stone.

We've all made mistakes, can't we just forgive and forget...

Well, this is certainly unfortunate, but considering what the congregation has already been through we need to keep this quiet.

Our team is in first place, and we don't need to rock the boat.

Why don't you just move on to another church.
    I could go on, and on, and on ....

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting list. I was actually on the receiving end of "how dare you bring accusations against a man of God" once; and have seen way too many of those "let's keep this quiet" situations.

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wouldn't that violate God's commandment not to take matters of the church before pagan authorities? (I Cor. 6)

Don said it well...
    peace to you:praying:

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  5. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Here's something that I've often wondered about concerning withdrawing from someone who has been the subject of church discipline: To what extent is the spouse of someone who has been the subject of church discipline to withdraw from that person? Is he/she supposed to have little or nothing to do with him/her until that person is restored to fellowship (assuming he/she does see of error of their ways and repents)?

6. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The spouse is not to take part or any side other than that of the marriage.

The marriage was before the church, and anything that would violate the marriage done by any person or organization outside of the marriage is not Scriptural.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

At our church, usually our "church watch" will prevent someone from coming back but so far we have only had one individual try to come back and once he realized he couldn't even enter the building, he left for good.

8. Ryan.Samples

Ryan.Samples New Member

Paul tells us we are to expel the immoral brother in I Cor 5. If someone is living an ungodly lifestyle, then they are supposed to hit the road. Perhaps the pain of imposed absence, the missing of true fellowship with believers, will so grieve the offender that he will correct his actions.

Paul goes on to say that individual members should not associate with the immoral person who claims to be a Christian. I again gather that the imposed absence is designed to demonstrate the seriousness of his offense.

I don't know about anyone else, but I take a pretty high view of God's word. In other words, my opinion doesn't matter here because God has offered us clear instructions. Total "rejection" of an immoral brother or sister sounds extreme to me and in the flesh I would suggest it is too drastic a step, but that's the whole point! God wants his people to police their own according to his dictates. I've yet to meet a congregation that does church discipline well--and some don't do it at all.

I don't think I Cor 6 has anything to do with church discipline. Paul states we are to rely on the church, not outsiders, to handle our affairs. If someone has been expelled from the fellowship then the church has handled its business itself. I don't see how using the God-provided structure of government somehow contradicts chapter 6. Using your logic, you wouldn't cause the police if five "Christians" are beating another believer (for whatever reason) and you think they might kill him. The church should handle that matter, not the pagans.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That is only because you do not understand the church. The church is no different then someone home. People are invited but anyone can be refused. If a person has been put out they can be arrested for trespassing if they refuse to leave.

10. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The OP is about someone who disagrees with the stated doctrine of the church, not someone living an immoral lifestyle.
    Just so you will know, just about everyone who posts on BB takes a pretty high view of God's Word...we just don't always agree on what God's Word says... which is the point of the OP. If someone disagrees on a point of doctrine..should we kick them out of church and call the police if they dare to walk through the doors again.

I'd say that is an extreme position, and inconsistent with scripture.

peace to you:praying:

11. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Yeah, we wouldn't want to be extreme and drive them out of the church with whips or anything.