1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church discipline

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Judith, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should a member be put through church discipline if they open support abortion and refuse to change their view?

2. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Depending on their position, yes.

If they are a pro-choice advocate,
    vocally championing the cause, and arguing/ debating those who are pro life, due to party affiliation, than you have a political convert, and this can get hairy.
    If they have murdered a baby, and defend the act, yes.

Some people claim to be for a lot of things, which they have never perticipated in, because of societal pressure. They will grow in the Lord, and out of this. It will do no good to try to convert them from the outside in. They will resist, especially if they view you as a "Right Winger".

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends on who they are and what you mean by "support".

If someone is not in a position of leadership in the church, but just a rank and file member, then I think we can allow that they're ignorant or just plain wrong, or not mature in the faith or not well discipled. I personally don't see how anybody can justify it, but I also acknowledge that sometimes, some people are just at different places in their walk with Christ. That being the case, I would try counseling before discipline.

If they're in a position of leadership, then for the sake of protecting the integrity of the church, then I would say remove them.

4. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

This makes sense to me. But to the OP if you attend a church that loves enough to practice biblical church discipline be thankful. The purpose of discipline is restoration, and if we say we love people to much to discipline them we must love them more than Christ because he commanded it.

John L. Dagg once said "“When discipline leaves a church, Christ goes with it.”

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this part of the church covenant or membership agreement? Is it in writing somewhere that to be a member of your church you have to be pro-life? If not then I would say no.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, lets ignore what scripture says on this matter.

7. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am of the mind that they should be put through discipline. If you noticed I said if they refuse to change their view. That means they were confronted with scripture and explained the error of their way. It would be no different than if they supported homosexual marriage. There is no need for something to be in a covenant since we have the word of God although I do believe it is a good idea.

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haven't defined "openly support", what does that mean? How they vote, financial support.....?

Not ignoring, recognize that not everyone thinks like me. Would sure make things easier, but not the case.

9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    yes....church discipline is a mark of a true church

10. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry. "openly support" is to openly make known their belief and stand with those who support abortion.

11. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. To allow members to openly hold views that contradict the teachings of the bible is not a formula for a healthy church and I am of the mind-set that our churches today for the most part are not healthy because of the many who hold to unbibical/sinful doctrines.

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, who they vote for then? Nope

13. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unity is not conformity. Different people have different opinions about things that are not essentials.

14. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Ones position on abortion is essential. That being said this is a difficult issue. After the Roe v Wade decision the position of the Southern Baptist Convention was ambiguous and improved with time. It was several years before the Convention adopted a strong pro life position. {See Below.}

Following the Roe V Wade decision Religious News Service quoted W. A. Criswell as saying:
    Criswell later changed his position on abortion, becoming a staunch opponent of the procedure.

We have some on this BB who support abortion though they claim to be pro life. My immediate family and my extended family have all been pro life. I have a nephew who is strongly pro life, his wife was not. After many years she announced that she was pro life because she felt a Christian could not be otherwise. In fairness to her she had been raise among liberal Methodists.

As for disciplining a member who is pro abortion I would have to say that unless that persons views become disruptive within the congregation, or they bring reproach on the name of Jesus Christ through public activity, exclusion would be unwise. There are, however, many issues where I believe exclusion is necessary.

#14 OldRegular, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2014
  15. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Supporting murder is an essential error and sin.

16. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How long do they have to change their minds? As has been mentioned, church discipline is about restoration. Are they being divisive about it? Is there an effort to recruit people to their way if thinking? Or did someone just ask them what they thought and they honestly answered?

BFM 2000 says there should be a speaking on behalf of the unborn and that life begins at conception, very clear pro life stance. Though it leaves "speaking on behalf" undefined. But it also says in the resolutions that abortion should be allowed in the case of the mothers life in being in danger. A position many conservative folks would reject. So even here there exceptions, places where disagreement would exist.