1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Church distinctions

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Herald, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Herald

Herald New Member

All Christians are part of the body of Christ. But we can also refer to a local church as the body of Christ. That is what is meant by the invisible Church.

2. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Yesuahi

You posted...

Excelantly put! You hit the bulls eye! :thumbs:

3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh,... and PUHLEASE!!! I know, that you know (getting A's in logic), that Butler's conclusions here are COMPLETELY invalid... ROF:laugh:

4. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

You are in great error.

The universal church does ALL of the things that you say it dosnt...only with exceedingly greater numbers.

(((PRAISE GOD))) for His wonderfull, powerfull, planet encompasing UNIVERSAL church !

#24 Alive in Christ, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2013
  5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The confesions of faith use this language,and I understand how they use them.
    i have come to see that there is an issue that comes from this discussion, because of this:
    From a Baptist Catechism with Commentary...pg 290,291

I believe any "universal assembly" will be both -universal- and assembled.....ON THE LAST DAY.

The word ...church ...is used very loosely, like the word..."the jury"....which jury? the OJ jury?...
    an invisible jury?

#26 Iconoclast, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2013
  7. 12strings

12strings Active Member

1. See trinity analogies and other arguments.

2. Consider, a man stranded on an island finds a bible, reads it, believes it, becomes a Christian. If there is no universal/invisible church, you have a few questions to answer:
    -Eph. 5 says Jesus died for "the Church." Did Jesus die for this man, or must he find a group of other believers before that blood is applied to him as part of "the church."
    -Is this man part of "the body of Christ." ...as in "there is one body." Does this passage not apply to him because he is not part of a local church?

8. Herald

Herald New Member

I tip my hat to you, sir.

9. 12strings

12strings Active Member

1. There are local churches that are fractured and filled with heresy...and yet may have true believers, and may even be a true church depending on the preaching going on there.

2. My appendix has no reason to exist, but it does...go figure.

10. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Scripture tells us not to forsake the assembly of ourselves together. I don't believe technology has nullified this command. If anything, it is obvious that although we are more connected than ever before, most people are more isolated than ever before.

There is no substitute for real interaction with a real person who is really in the same room with you. It can't be faked. God knows we need spiritual encouragement from others, and so provides us with "the church."

Primary reason to assemble: God Commands it...because he knows we need it.

It's true that I can listen to sermons from the greatest preachers online...but that is no substitute from hearing a sermon from a godly preacher who actually knows me, and can preach with me in mind.

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

If anybody can tell me where the next assembling of the Universal Church will be held, let me know. I'd like to attend. Who's gonna preach?

12. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

#32 HeirofSalvation, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2013
  13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

There is a universal church, in eternity, of all believers. You are correct, there is no invisible church. It is really a proposterous way to describe a local or universal church. Denominations with hierarchies like to use the "invisible church" to keep hidden how useless their layers upon layers of bureaucracy are totally worthless in carrying out the Great Commission. A bunch of people sitting in offices and dictating their ignorance to others does not help tell others about Jesus. A cardinal, bishop, presbyter, pope, archbishop, etc, in all their robed glory and wasted resources of the Lord does not knock on doors and tell others the Good News.

We are here to do His work, and His work is telling others, to go, teach, and baptise. The only person I want to see in their robed glory is Jesus Christ.

Good post on your part.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No it does not. The universal church on this earth is nothing but an excuse for laziness, and to waste time during Sunday morning service saying creeds and chants. To even imply that the Lord accomplishes His work outside the structure of the local church is about the most illogiical thing that has been posted. So how does a person who is a Catholic who is really saved working in harmony with a Methodist who is truly saved to add a third element of a Baptist who is truly saved, in three churches, maybe at great distances, accomplish the work of the Lord, when the local church is right there?

If you are so stuck by the importance of a universal church here on earth, then why on earth would you be a Baptist, when the Catholic church and mainline Protestant churches want to cram the universal church down your throat, both visible and invisible, take your choice.

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Yes, he hit the bulls eye and now the bull has a black eye. What on earth does the percentage of saved within an assembly of people have to do with carrying out the work of the Lord? It is a given definition that the universal church has 100% true believer rate. It varies in the local church, depending on the local church. That fact has nothing to do with the fact that the Lord uses the local church to carry out His work. Using an obvious fact that the universal church is 100% saved to give credence to the myth that the universal church as some kind of function here on earth is about as lame as it gets.

16. 12strings

12strings Active Member

17. 12strings

12strings Active Member

It has already started, people have been arriving for years, and will keep arriving until the end of the age. There might not be preaching, though, but we know there will be music.

18. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

:laugh::laugh:I literally laughed out loud at these parts. You have a real talent for visual imagery :applause::applause:

"Dictating ignorance"... HA!
    "Robed Glory"...Hilarious!

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this church visible or invisible (unseen)?

Hebrews 12
    22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
    23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect.

HankD​

20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What has been amusung to me is the concept that a person could be part of the Universal church, be saved and part of the body of christ and be heaven bound, yet because they do not meet all qualifications to be a member, might not be a member of a local church!