1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Church distinctions

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Herald, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the Universal church is NOT demoninations, not kust a local church gathering etc

it IS the total number of the saved of God, all who have been redeemed by the Cross, and they also here on earth meet and assemble in local churches..

This easter Sunday, those who belong to that Church of christ, His own, will be gathered in churches labeled baptist, methodist, Nazerene, etc...

2. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Saturn neptune, you posted....

The universal church on this earth is nothing but an excuse for laziness, and to waste time during Sunday morning service saying creeds and chants.

Me...

What on earth are you talkin about? The universal church is nothing more than ALL of the christians here on earth, or in heaven. And why are you bringing up "laziness, creeds and chants???

You...

To even imply that the Lord accomplishes His work outside the structure of the local church is about the most illogiical thing that has been posted.

Me...Im sorry, but that is just pure sillness.

You...

So how does a person who is a Catholic who is really saved working in harmony with a Methodist who is truly saved to add a third element of a Baptist who is truly saved, in three churches, maybe at great distances, accomplish the work of the Lord, when the local church is right there?

Me

Because one..single..local...church can not possibly minister the to the entire earth

You...

If you are so stuck by the importance of a universal church here on earth, then why on earth would you be a Baptist, when the Catholic church and mainline Protestant churches want to cram the universal church down your throat, both visible and invisible, take your choice.

Me..

I attend a Baptist church because I agree more with thier distinctives than others.

And some of the others you listed i would not attend because they are filed with heresy and cultism

#42 Alive in Christ, Mar 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2013
  3. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

That's not amusing to me, but instead sad.

4. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Its both amusing and sad

5. Herald

Herald New Member

I never cease to be amazed at how a thread can devolve so quickly.

The invisible church (really the universal or catholic church) is an essential recognition that there is one body of Christ. Those that are pompously thumping their chests and bellowing, "Show me where that is in the bible!" need to understand that theological terms often describe what the Bible teaches in a manner in which all can understand. Words like transcendent, ineffable, and immanence each describe some aspect of God's being. The hypostatic union describes God taking on flesh. Perichoresis describes the intimate relationship, and corresponding roles; of Father, Son, and Spirit. All of these words and terms reflect biblical truth.

There are references to the universal (or catholic) nature of the Church in Acts 2:39; Hebrews 12:23; Colossians 1:18; Ephesians 1:10, 22-23; 5:23, 27, 32. Because people hardly ever take the time to look up references for themselves (instead they ignore them and make believe the poster never provided biblical support for their argument), I will provide the full scripture references below:

Acts 2:39 "The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

Hebrews 12:23 to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the Judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect,

Colossians 1:18 He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything.

Ephesians 1:10 with a view to an administration suitable to the fullness of the times, that is, the summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens and things on the earth.

Ephesians 1:22-23 And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.

Ephesians 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body.

Ephesians 5:27-32 that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless. So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself; for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ also does the church, because we are members of His body. For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and shall be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh. This mystery is great; but I am speaking with reference to Christ and the church.

There is a difference between substance and administration. The Church is the body of Christ. That is the substance of the Church. The Church is universal in nature because it includes all believers through out all time. The administration of the Church is through local assemblies, with Christ still as the head.