1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church goals

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Harold Garvey, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

You say that the pastor has a vision for a debt-free church. But is that the church's vision? Was anything done to cultivate a sense of ownership for this objective? Did the leadership discuss it and think of ways to achieve it? If it is the idea of the pastor only then of course he is paddling mighty hard to sail upstream.

2. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I wouldn't expect you to understand MP. Anyway, thanks for the insult.

3. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

That's where the level of how "big" people live and what they consider the quality of life is.

When one is doing without what the other considers the necessities of life just who is giving until it hurts?

4. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Mostly the church's vision is to follow the pastor as he is led of God.

Too many times the pastor knows how to manipulate the poeple in aiming towards his goal as he claims this is God doing the leading. Of course this could easily be looked at as a cut towards the pastor assuming he was out for his own popularity and using God as an excuse to accomplish his own agenda.

You can make people do accordingly as you fit them for a guilt complex by inserting speculation that "they're are some who aren't on the boat" kind of thinking.

I get so tired of psycological mind control. Always laying a guilt complex on people eventually causes emotionalism which too often ends up in suicides, marital distress and other negative things as a result to it.

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I really do believe that George Muller's autiobiography should be required reading for every seminarian.

Debt isn't a bad thing. In fact when kept in proper margins it can be a great boost for continued, vibrant ministry. That said when abused and taken out of margin it will crush a ministry's ability to grow and be sustained.

When we, I'm speaking of pastors, leverage too heavily on giving and neglect the rest of the proper teaching of Christianity we damage our people.

6. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

I couldn't agree more and why I started this thread.

I start threads to gain undertsanding, not as so many here presume to start an arguement and then play a martyr.

Why is it the BB seems to want a reputation for "telling others to leave" or "soon I hope to see them banned"?

Thank you for your much appreciated insight and i have read George Mueller's autobiography. It's a great lesson is trusting God for everything!

Been awhile since I read it, probably ten years ago.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What would be even better is if they were required to live like George Mueller did for awhile and what Jesus told His disciples to do when He sent them out. I think we would see a lot more praying and a lot more giving.

I take a different position on it in that I believe there is enough money available among God's people if they are willing to give and sacrifice. I was in a church that never borrowed money and there were times when it was the talk of the town because some of the buildings took so long to build. Many in the church sacrificed their time and money to build the buildings. Many contractors participated in building and donating their time. Quite a number of families came to do what they could. I know some businessmen who sold properties they owned so they could give money.

A few years ago a pastor friend of mine told me that he suspected that had cancer but the doctors were unable to find anything wrong at the time. Awhile later they did detect cancer. That man had given his life to the church people and so many countless others in the city. Shortly before he died the people in the town (not just those from the church) built he and his wife a new brick home. They bought a nice lot and built the home with no cost to him. By the time he died his wife was set for life financially by the town's people.

I believe that God is bigger than we ever give him credit for.

8. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

If they were "required" to live as G. Mueller then God would be making robots out of us and He didn't.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is impossible for anyone to live like someone else. We know that God has given each a measure of faith. Are you saying that God does not require the righteous to live by faith?

10. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you also read Muelller's biogrphy you'll know that he worked with others very closely who did not follow his views of not asking for finances. Just because a great believer like Mueller or Hudson Taylor live that way doesn't mean that others have to OR that they have any less faith.

11. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Where did you dig that up from to make that assumption and who's dunghill were you digging in?

12. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Amen!

I live just the way the Lord shows me to live.

I haven't given as much as some expect according to their "burden".

I give the most towards missions. God has richly blessed that!

I just took inventory and "cooked" the books.

My tithe was more than a tenth, my missions giving was more than my tithe!

The numbers will not "add up" except my bank account is bigger than it was last month, substancially I might add, even though I took in less money!:godisgood:

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you not read your Bible first before making comments.

14. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

read it everyday and very familiar with the passage you refer to, you made a convulsive remark and it looked like it came from some "different" place.

Now if you want to examine my faith, well, let's begin!

It all starts with Jesus Christ and ends there, well, not exactly ends there, but continues there and forevermore!