1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church History is for Pastors

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Ruiz, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

This sounds a lot like previous posts I have made (but the article expresses itself better), and I agree. What do you think about this article from Credo Magazine?

THis quote sums everything up, "According to Lucas, church history is a fundamentally pastoral discipline, one that no pastor should be without."

2. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Ruiz, I think I agree with you unless you're suggesting that church history should be the exclusive purview of pastors.

Of course you always have the problem of whose history we should believe and whose we should reject. There have been quite a few discussions right here about this issue.

For the curious and uninitiated, which I tend to be not having any seminary training ever, I really like Church History in Plain Language by the late Bruce Shelley of Denver Seminary. He covers all eras and nearly all topics in each era. Most of all, however, he doesn't have an axe to grind with any one group. Good reading.

3. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I think Church history should be a part of other subjects taught and studied by Pastors. I think the best Historic Theology produced recently is by Dr. Allison of SBTS.