1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church History Questions

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This topic doesn't belong in the Baptist History department . I hope this is the appropriate arena to post this .

I have some questions . How many know the correct answers ?

1) Who was the only 16th reformer to preach in the 17th century ?

2) Who was Zwingli's Tetzel ?

3) What Bible version was considered more literal than Luther's in the 16th century ?

4) What Reformer at 58 , married a 16 year old young woman ?

5) Whose sermons in Geneva were more popular than Calvin's ( in Calvin's time ) ?

6) Who followed Beza as the leader of the Church in Geneva ?

7) What commentary did Calvin write in 1539 ( the same year as his second edition of The Institutes ) ?

8) In what numbered thesis ( of his famous 95) did Luther condemn those who condemned the practice of indulgences ?

9) Who wrote the first statement of the Reformed Faith in the 16th century ? What was it called ?

10) Okay , this is a give-away . I have repeated the same answer many times . You should know the answer by now . In what year did john calvin become a citizen of Geneva ?

11) In the early 19th century there was a revival in Geneva . What Calvinist was the human instrument that the Lord employed ?

2. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

I'm assuming that you are touting Calvinism. I'm wondering how that fits with "church" history, since "church" is the baptized body of followers of Christ. Maybe titling your entire piece "Presbyterian History Questions" would have been more appropriate.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No DQ . And a hint -- question # 11 is not Presbyterian , since you mentioned it .

4. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

OK .. Dutch Reformed? :laugh: Ulster Scots? :laugh: Neo-Calvinism? :laugh:

http://tinyurl.com/2o8bxv

I still have a question about touting Calvinism.

God employed a whole lot of stuff between 1 and 33 a.d., and during the writings of His followers thereafter. He didn't need then, and doesn't need now, an interpreter other than the Holy Spirit. If one needs an interpreter, one is leaning upon that person rather than upon God through Christ Himself. Forget Calvinism, Lutheranism, Arminianism, Catholicism, Billy Grahamism, John McArthurism, Chuck Smithism, Adrian Rogersism, Darbyism, Scofieldism, and all the other isms, including most pulpitisms. Go directly to The Word, the One and Only Word.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So , DQ , you're not much of a history buff . Why don't you participate in threads that hold more of an interest for you ?

6. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

I trust others will participate in your thread. I just wonder why the history of Calvinism is important -- unless it is a tool you intend to utilize in a debate. But go for it!

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OKAY ! It's an open-book quiz . Have at it .

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bump . Hey , 98 views and no answers ?!

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Beza?
    2. Samson
    3. Tyndale's
    4. Knox
    5. Viret
    6. Goulart
    7. Romans
    8. no thesis?
    9. Melanchthon, Augsburg Confession
    10. 1559
    11. Haldane?

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I believe John Knox was 50 and married a 17 year old woman, in response to question #4, actually. Personally, without looking them up, the two that I know are correct are #1, as Beza was the only reformer from the 16th century to preach in the 17th. And #9, for Philip Melanchthon did write the first 'great' confession, the Augsburg Confession, I believe.

Ed

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for participating Ed and Jerome .

1) Yes , both Ed and Jerome got the right answer . Theodore Beza was the only 16th century reformer to preach in the 17th century .

2) Jerome got it right again . Bernhardin Samson was Zwingli's Tetzel . BTW , Martin Luther wrote a letter of comfort to Tetzel in the latter's final days in 1519 .

3) The Swiss Bible mainly translated by Leo Judd was considered more literal than Luther's version . But it was based on Luther's version I think .

4) John Knox at 58 years of age , in 1564 , maried a 16 year old young woman . William Farel at 69 years of age , in 1558 , married a much younger woman . But I don't have the specifics on that one . Both Jerome and Ed pick up more points . But Ed , Knox the ages you stated were not correct .

5) Peter Viret's ( 1511-1571 ) sermons were more popular than Calvin's in Geneva . That's not to say that Calvin's messages were not well received .

6) Diodati ( 1576-1649 ) following Beza's death became the leader of Geneva . Diodati was an accomplished schoar and preacher . He also was a participant at the Synod of Dort ( 1618-1619)

7) Jerome , you rascal , right again . Calvin wrote his commentary on Romans in 1539 -- the same year that he released his second edition of The Institutes .

8) Luther's famous 95 statements contained this line for #71 : "He who speaks against apostolic pardons let him be anathema and cursed !" Not exactly the stuff of biblical theology at that stage of his life . But his theology became clearer year-by-year . I think the best years of Luther's life were between 1523-1533 . BTW , in #47 he said it was up to the "free-will" of folks if they wanted to buy indulgences or not . That was a bit before he wrote his well-known " Bondage of The Will."

9) Zwingli ( 1484-1531 ) wrote the first Reformed statement of the faith of the 16th century . It was entitled The 67 Conclusions . But , so far , I can find the year of their publication . The Augsburg Confession came out on June 25,1530 . I'll have to research that one , or someone can help me .

10) Yes , Jerome , Calvin became a citizen of Geneva in 1559 -- 6 years before his death .

11) Jerome , you machine , yes , Robert Haldane ( 1764-1842 ) was the instrument the Lord employed for His own ends in Geneva 1815-16 . It was known as The Haldane Revival - it was Calvinistic to the core . Being independently wealthy Haldane was able to instruct some seminary students into a right understanding of the scripture . Many were actually converted through his ministry . Haldane simply went through the book of Romans with them in-depth . Those meetings later became the substance of his commentary on Romans . It is one of my top 5 favorite books outside of the Bible itself . Haldane's ministry in Geneva hads lasting and powerful results . Among the more famous men who influenced were Cesar Malan , Monad , Merle d' Aubigne , Bonifas and Gaussen . And ... Haldane was a Baptist -- he and his brother -- Alexander --both switched from Presbyterianism .

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Might not be, on the ages. I did not study up on it but found it by accident on the internet in an article. I assumed the article was correct for it seemed to be more in line with the dates of Knox's life.

http://www.greatsite.com/timeline-english-bible-history/john-knox.html

Ed

#12 EdSutton, Apr 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2007
  13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There seems to be some disagreement about his birthyear among historians . The "traditional year" has been 1505 . But these days his birth year is considered somewhere between 1513 and 1514 or so . He was enrolled at the University of Glasgow in 1522 . Knox may have been bright , but not that bright to have been enrolled before age 10 . He also enjoyed studying at the feet of John Calvin in Geneva ( " The most perfect school since the time of the Apostles " , he said ) though Knox was an older man . Calvin was born in 1509 . Knox had to have been born before that year .

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm , 197 views now . That's 99 more than yesterday at this time . Church History may hold interest for more than a few here -- even if many don't actually post . I'm encouraged .