1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church in the U.S. Capitol

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by 2 Timothy2:1-4, Oct 31, 2007.

1. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Many people are surprised to learn that the United States Capitol regularly served as a church building; a practice that began even before Congress officially moved into the building and lasted until well after the Civil War. Below is a brief history of the Capitol's use as a church, and some of the prominent individuals who attended services there.

http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissuesArticles.asp?id=90

2. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Interesting. I had no idea. Still, I'd have to say that capitol shouldn't bave beeen used as a church but that's just me. :)

3. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's because you've bought into the corrupted version of the separation clause.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

There is NO separation clause. There is a free-exercise clause and an establishment clause in the First Amendment. One states our freedom to freely exercise any religion or none, while the other builds Jefferson's "Wall of Separation". In other words, one secures the freedom of religion, the other secures the freedom from religion.

5. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Just so I know:

1) Do you still think the capital should be used for a church?

2) Do you think atheists should be forced to maintain a church through taxation?

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I think it clearly shows we are misunderstanding the intent of our founding fathers when we do things like remove the 10 commandments from a government building or changing the words of pledge to our flag.

I see no reason the capitol shouldn't be used as a Church if we so desire. This story shows our founding fathers and authors of our constitution agree with me. Atheist are free not to attend the service.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I thought this was real interesting...

Jefferson attended church at the Capitol while he was Vice President 5 and also throughout his presidency. The first Capitol church service that Jefferson attended as President was a service preached by Jefferson’s friend, the Rev. John Leland, on January 3, 1802. 6 Significantly, Jefferson attended that Capitol church service just two days after he penned his famous letter containing the “wall of separation between church and stateâ€￾ metaphor.

8. Magnetic Poles

LB, I wouldn't place any stock in the article. It is from David Barton's website.

9. Magnetic Poles

The pledge was not instituted by the founding fathers. It WAS changed to ADD "under God" in the 1950s, during the McCarthy era.

10. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

Come on MP, it's a widely know fact, easily verified, by many sources.

11. Magnetic Poles

Then give me some that aren't ultimately from Barton's revisionism. Sure, there were many Christians among the founders, but also many who were not. Even many of the Christians believed in separation.

12. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

The govt shan't establish a religion, nor prevent the free exercise of it. Allowing a religious organization to conduct services in a govt. building could not be construed as "establishing a govt. religion" but the corrupter's have deemed it so. The founders had not an inkling of the distortion we have wrought.

13. Magnetic Poles

So YOU are the authority now. Hmmm.... :laugh:

Anyway, I assume then if a group of Islamic citizens desire to hold services in the capitol in praise of Allah, you think that's a great idea?

14. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

many signatories of the first amendment, went home to start STATE sponsored churches. In that day do you suppose they were in violation? No of course not. But today it is unthinkable. The liberal bastardization of our religious heritage is rampant, but not yet fully completed. But many (ACLU and others) are working diligently on it. And that goal seems important to many on here.

15. Magnetic Poles

Like who? What state sponsored churches did they start? And the First Amendment wasn't signed so much as passed by Congress and the state legislatures. Signing an amendment has no standing.

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Two answers, here.

1.) Certainly!! Why should there not be a church in Washington, D.C., or in the seats of government or capital in all the 55 states and territories that are part of the USA??

2.) Our local church is currently involved in building an additional building with a larger auditorium/gym and classrooms. That takes a goodly amount of capital, as well, and in our case, about $1M.

So yes!

Now as to whether the capitol of the 56 above political entities of the U.S.A. should be so used? That may well be debatable. But not by me, this A.M.. I'll let some of the rest of you work on that, for now.

(Sorry, C4K! Language Cop says he needs to earn his salary, by sometimes making necessary distinctions.)

Ed

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Great idea, NO!

Shoud it be allowed, YES, as long as we Christians can have our day.

I think this is the intent of freedom of religion, the government would not endorse any one religion over the next. You are free to choose your God or god which was a switch from the mother land.

18. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

No it's a terrible idea, but should be allowed, under the founders intent.

19. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

hmmm, maybe you should let me think for you, like sort of your authority, for awhile, till you get better.

:thumbs: