1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Membership: What are the Biblical Requirements?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Tim, May 18, 2003.

1. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Tim, you said:
    I just don't see a biblical requirement for membership beyond salvation and baptism.

OK, let's say that that is exactly right (and I'm not saying it isn't). What is salvation? We have many different views of what it is and some of them are contrary one to another. What is baptism? We have just as many views. Go back and reread carefully Peter's sermon in Acts 2:14-47. In it he lays out the basics of Christianity (A statement of faith) so that everyone understood exactly what was involved in this new undertaking. The audience wasn't free to decide for themselves what to believe. Peter told them, here is what the truth is, you can accept it or reject it. The audience accepted it, the were convicted, repented, and were baptized scripturally. The same can be true today. We, as Peter, need to know that the person knows what the truth is and accepts it. Peter actually presented a great deal more information to the prospective Christians than any of our statements of doctrinal beliefs contain. Once everybody was "on the same page" they were received into the church. As far as voting is concerned that is merely the already established members acknowledging and recognizing that these prerequisites have been met and the new person or persons are like minded.

2. christine

christine New Member

Teachers are normally members, and so are the church officials, sundayschool teachers, pastor, pianoist and anyone in a leadership position. Do I need to be a member to clean, buy flowers, fix a bus or pick up people? NO
    Only because I am not in the position to influence someone in their beliefs. It is a silent service which does not hold the possibility of (mistakenly or otherwise) allowing me to mislead or quote something wrongly.
    An example is this board, we are all Baptist, but see how different we believe.
    I believe OSAS, so I would never want one of the people who don't believe (OSAS), to teach/counsel my children or anyone else their belief in my church.
    Comonsense tells you that we want "our" way taught. (Which I believe is the "right way", of course)
    Christine

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

HI Christine, in our church you do have to be a member to teach, serve in the nursery, etc. but anyone can volunteer to help in the kitchen, etc. In fact, a family joined a few weeks ago that had been in our church for so long that everyone thought they were already members! God uses and blesses the time and talents you give back to him, regardless of your membership status.

BTW... not every member / poster is Baptist. My friend Laura is not Baptist but non-denominational. There's also a Catholic member who posts on that thread. I'm not sure of others but I invited Laura because of her wonderful insight and need for a good place to ask questions and share.

Diane

4. Michael Estes

Michael Estes New Member

Becoming a "member" of any local congregation is not a Biblical requirement for a Christian. Meeting together regularly is. It is a man-made doctrine. All of us are already a part of Jesus' church. What else should we want?