1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Membership

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Kathy, Mar 5, 2004.

1. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Can you toss me a specific verse where Jesus condemns the tithe?

Matthew 23:23 Jesus says "...you pay tithe of mint [etc.]...and have neglected...justice, mercy and faith. These ye ought to have done, WITHOUT LEAVING THE OTHERS UNDONE." (NKJV)

Why would a Christian donate to the work of the Lord less than what the Hebrews tithed?

We are to give God 100% of our heart, soul, mind, and strength. does this exclude income?

To Christians, every day is holy, not just the Sabbath. If we are not under the OT law, but under a higher law of Christ, why do less than the OT law that was of less glory?

A major issue is how the tiny minority of church members tithe or "cheerfully give" while the rest just reap the benefits of the buildings, hymn books, pastor's salary, heat, other expense related items for running a church and a ministry.

Non-tithing, or non-"cheerfully giving" members don't care if the pastor and his family starve to death. They are hypocrites of the lowest type. But I'm not saying tithing saves a soul.

This topic is somewhat new to me, so I'm open to any comments on it.