1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Music Policy?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Jeremiah, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Howdy All,

Had an interesting service last night about 20% of the people in our church don't like me right now ... why? because I followed our "unwritten policy" on performance (who), the music (stlye), and the service (where).

So ... I have to write a policy for our church music and worship. I am looking for ideas/examples of what your church/organizations/schools are using for Music policy on both style and performance.

-- Jeremiah Griffin

Hello, Jeremiah. Welcome to the Music Ministry Forum. Just a note to let you know that the webmaster does not allow URL's in signatures because of the amount of bandwidth the consume after many posts. Aaron.

[ September 30, 2002, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who me related to Dr Bob? Who would want to be related to that guy ... but as they say.

You can pick your friends, you can pick your friends nose but you can't pick your relatives.

Ok, ok, so maybe the humor didn't pass down through the genes ... at least the stunning good looks did. :cool:

I am Dr Bob's #1 Son and desperately looking for help on writing a music policy. I am not worried about style or beat but I am worried about appropriateness’ and participants.

Thanks for the link … I will check it out.

-- Jeremiah Griffin

[Deleted advertising. Also, you can update your profile to include an email icon. ;)

Your friendly co-moderator,
    Aaron]

[ October 01, 2002, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Aaron ]

4. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would my URL mean your bandwidth? The bandwidth for the text on the Baptistboard end would be the same as me adding 5 returns at the end of my signature

[​IMG]

or in the middle :) Just asking.

-- Jeremiah

[ October 02, 2002, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Jeremiah ]

5. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is what we have drafted so far.

# # # # # # #

Church Music Policy:For the Sanctuary

Use of Instruments in sanctuary prior to or directly afterwar Worship.
    </font>
    • Instraments will not be used until the sanctuary has emptied unless it is used for:
      1. Prelude (scheduled)
      2. Postlude (scheduled)
      3. Rehearsal for worship for choir, vocal, or worship
      Controlled Access of Instruments
      Instruments will be locked immediately following each service to prevent possible damage. They may be unlocked and used only by music department personnel for worship service or rehearsal for church services and other official activities.
      Exceptions may be allowed for weddings, funerals and events.</font>
    Use of Instruments by non-Music Department Personnel
    </font>
    • Church members may request to use instruments for other reasons. They must contact the music director or the Pastoral Staff.
      There are other pianos located throughout the church specifically for practice or casual playing.</font>
    Special Music or 5th Sunday Sing </font>
    • 1. Member must sign up upon deadline time.
      2. Must be a member of Bighorn Baptist Church
      Exceptions for Membership requirement are as follows.
      a. Non-members participating with a Big Horn Baptist Church member as accompanist
      b. Non-members participating with a Big Horn Baptist Church member as non featured vocals
      c. If called in as a featured musician by church council & brought to vote at a church business meeting
      d. If invited by Music Director or Pastor</font>
    Worship Preparation</font>
    • Worship preparation time is as scheduled if you participate in a worship service you must meet for practice with the music department or make special arrangements with the Music Director</font>
    Acceptable Music for Sanctuary</font>
    • Following Scriptural guidelines. As stated in John 4:24 and throughout God’s Word.
      If there is a doubt about the beat or style of music please contact the music Director and Pastor to arrange a meeting prior to Wednesday Evening worship preparation.</font>
    # # # # # # # # #

Thoughts ... opinons ... flames?

-- Jeremiah

[ October 02, 2002, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Jeremiah ]

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some people are not in doubt about the beat of their music, but others will still be against it. We had this controversy a few years back when a visiting group brought drums into the service and played them particularly loud. Drums of various types have been gradually brought into the worship service but loud and garish music still is unacceptable. You may want to write in a sentence that states that a preview of all outside groups that perform special music will be done to determine beforehand that the performance is acceptable.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is how the webmaster explained it about a certain signature that included the following URL:

www.spurgeon.org "

This signature is approximately 500 bytes (with the 3 lines and URL coding).

500 bytes x 50 posts per month = 25,000 bytes (roughly 25KB)

25KB x 1,000 views/month (very conservative) = roughly 25 MB

Signature added by 100 members as a result of allowing signatures results in 25MB x 100 = 2.5 GB of bandwidth/month.

Your friendly co-moderator,
    Aaron [​IMG]

8. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well the Policy passed it's second reading in the business meeting. After a month we have had mixed results.

The issue in our church is not so much style. But who is allowed to lead in Worship. By mixed results I just found out that two or three of our members are leaving our church over this policy.

Although the members chose not to raise opposition in the vote, they feel that a church shouldn't have to have a music policy ... I agree, but I am not leaving.

Although I agree, seeing the Music Director crucified after making a decision based on discussions with the pastor and unwritten policy, an Official Church Policy becomes a must to help protect the leadership. Ahh ministry would be so much more fun if it wasn't for the people! [​IMG]

Has anyone's thoughts changed over the last few months on Music Policy in the church?

-- Jeremiah