1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Church Music: Traditional or Contemporary?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Why don't you post ANY Scripture that shows "consuming fire" as used in any other manner than I stated?

You can't.

The Scriptures don't support your view. There is note one unless taken out of context and/or distorted of intent.

Yet, you have the audacity to doubt my veracity!

Prove that "consuming fire" is NOT the judgment of God upon the unrighteous, a judgment that the believer will never experience much less should desire to experience.

Paul states: 13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

Such judgment is NOT the "consuming fire" as found throughout Scripture which portrays God's consuming fire directed toward the unrighteous.

That YOU have taken my posting as unbiblical is astounding!

I would expect such out of lesser folks, but not you.

Perhaps you are just being "tongue in check" in your posts, and I have missed the humor.

If I have, then I apologize for responding in the harsh temperament of this post.

If I haven't, and you persist in your view of God's consuming fire, then you are obligated to start a thread on that topic and show conclusive Scriptural evidence to support your view.

Your just saying so, no longer resounds as being of sound judgment.

Why not start with these verses:

Exodus 24:17 And to the eyes of the sons of Israel the appearance of the glory of the Lord was like a consuming fire on the mountain top.

Deuteronomy 4:24 For the Lord thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God.

Deuteronomy 9:3 Understand therefore this day, that the Lord thy God is he which goeth over before thee; as a consuming fire he shall destroy them, and he shall bring them down before thy face: so shalt thou drive them out, and destroy them quickly, as the Lord hath said unto thee.

Isaiah 29:6 From the Lord of hosts you will be punished with thunder and earthquake and loud noise, With whirlwind and tempest and the flame of a consuming fire.

Isaiah 30:27 Behold, the name of the Lord comes from a remote place; Burning is His anger and dense is His smoke; His lips are filled with indignation And His tongue is like a consuming fire;

Isaiah 30:30 And the Lord will cause His voice of authority to be heard, And the descending of His arm to be seen in fierce anger, And in the flame of a consuming fire In cloudburst, downpour and hailstones.

Isaiah 33:14 Sinners in Zion are terrified; Trembling has seized the godless. “Who among us can live with the consuming fire? Who among us can live with continual burning?”

Lamentations 2:3 In fierce anger He has cut off All the strength of Israel; He has drawn back His right hand From before the enemy. And He has burned in Jacob like a flaming fire Consuming round about.

Joel 2:5 With a noise as of chariots They leap on the tops of the mountains, Like the crackling of a flame of fire consuming the stubble, Like a mighty people arranged for battle.

Hebrews 12:29 for our God is a consuming fire.

You can claim "proof text" is also used, but when such a claim is made, then one is obligated by default to show in CONTEXT the truth of the Scriptures.

I wonder if fear does not drive part of your statements.

If you admit my post as being factual in this area, then you are afraid I just may be right in the rest. Does fear drive your bias?

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Not quite and actually I did.

You? Well, you've conveniently left it out of the quote. God lead His people as a consuming fire.

I also quoted the songs lyrics you hate, and nothing in the lyrics is anyhting CLOSE to what YOU make it out to be.

Yes, we get it, you hate CCM and those who sing it.

Also, NOTHING in the passage you've used supports your PERSONAL disdain and PERSONAL agenda against music you don't like. You're attempting to apply Scripture to your subjective beliefs in order to support them. Stop 2 Cor. 4:2 and do 2 Tim. 2:15 instead.

Like I said, it's your job to go around and determine who is not filled with the Spirit and who is only concerned about 'how they sound' because you can see hearts all of a sudden.

3. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's some lyrics from a few songs of some of the bands mentioned here:
    "Steal My Show", by TobyMac:
    "Lose My Soul", by TobyMac:
    (Cotin'd in next post.)

4. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Please Don't Let Me Go", by Group 1 Crew:
    "Forgive Me", by Group 1 Crew:
    "Death of Me", by Royal Tailor:
    "Give Me Faith", by Royal Tailor:
    (I already covered Red and Skillet.)

Yeah, guys, these lyrics are sooo unChristian.

Now if you have any reason to dislike the message in the song or happen to believe that for whatever reason the music is unGodly--or for any reason feel like it's not for you, then it's all well and good that you don't listen to it. I would hope that you would abide by your standards and convictions.

But face it, not everyone is going to agree with you. Some of us can worship to CCW and CCM because some of us see little to no problem with it.
    Either way we're still brothers and sisters in Christ. Just because we disagree on something so trivial as music choices shouldn't be a cause for bitter words and feelings.

#64 evenifigoalone, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2013
  5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Guess no one is going to take up the challenge. Show me the worst lyrics in the modern, contemporary music, and I can show much worse in the non hymnal Gospel type songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO5Y1OuQIxo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j0iu9S6740

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v7YIgitW9g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL91-Q-AYuY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gdPyGbI8RA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW8mm00f_k8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uloaEY81hOQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY88tnXZWOQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY88tnXZWOQ

This is pure theological garbage, and the very ones who condemn modern contemporary music are listening to this. Show me one lyric from contemporary that matches this trash.

I still contend that most church members are not giving the lyrics a second thought. It is the beat of the music and the instruments that the on their way out generation does not like. Also, they just gotta hold onto them there hymnbooks. And lest we forget, Amazing Grace and Rock of Ages were Divinely Inspired.

#65 saturneptune, Nov 10, 2013
  6. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

This is a joke, right?

You really can find that statement (God lead his people as a consuming fire) in the Scriptures?

Preacher4truth - There is NO verse that has that statement pertaining to believers.

Perhaps you are attempting to use Hebrews. But the context of the "consuming fire" is removing this world and worldly systems which reside on "sand" in contrast to the solid unshakable "rock" He has provided.

That has NOTHING to do with God leading his people as a consuming fire.

When was fire used to lead God's people and what did it mean?

It was used by God during the exodus from Egypt to the Promised Land.

Fire by night was a practical meaning of warmth in the terribly cold conditions of wilderness nights, but Spiritually it has the application of providing warmth to the believer in the dreaded darkness of the word and assurance of the light burning within as His light and not self generated pretended illumination.

I don't know a bible scholar that does not state that the pillar of fire and cloud were not only a testimony to BOTH Israel and non-Israel that God was with them throughout the journey (as He is with us in this journey) but also a statement that "He will never leave or forsake." For that whole journey was shows in reality the direction and protection by God being in front of them. The believer has the same "type" of guidance of God being IN us, showing direction and protection in the dread of night as well as the heat of the day.

This fire NEVER is portrayed in Scripture as "consuming" in the sense of "bring" righteousness. Such preaching is inappropriate and misdirected and frankly presenting God no better than that presented by the serpent in Eden.

The word "consuming fire" is always used toward the unrighteousness of the world and the unrighteous people of the world. NEVER toward the believer.

The "consuming fire" is to bring fear and dread to the unrighteous and unrighteousness.

However the believer does not dread and our fear is not of judgment but of a holy reverence. God's perfect love removes all fear and dread for we are not ordered to wrath but to promise - Just as was those of the wilderness wandering - a type (picture) of the believer's state in this world and promise of the land to come.

That some would misdirect this theological point and use it as something for the believer to embrace is at best deceitful.

Again, no better than what the serpent used in Eden - misdirecting the Word of God, and presenting half truth.

That some would do the same musically shows even more how deceit is the hallmark of the enemy of Christ.

It is troubling that YOU do not see the theological aspects in this matter, but embrace the deception, thus making your two verses apply to yourself.

If you think I am wrong on "consuming fire" then open a thread to that end and prove it. Show that I have used proof text. That the Scriptures do not present consuming fire as I have stated they do.

If you cannot present the truth in this matter, then you need to change your handle or change your presentation of what you embrace as truthful.

Just so you don't miss it, when you reread my posts, please note that I directed it at ALL forms of music in ALL settings!

7. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not talking about "lyrics". I'm talking about behavior!! Just because you say "Jesus" somewhere in a song doesn't make it a Christian song. Benny Hinn talks about Jesus too. You wanna defend him also? The "way" these bands behave on stage, screaming, jumping up and down, lewd dancing, fire and laser beam light shows.............c'mon now. I LIKE a LOT of the modern Christian songs, but those videos are a whole 'nother story. I'm sorry, post all the lyrics you want, you'll never convince me God is pleased with that stuff.

http://www.babylonforsaken.com/crockexposed.html

http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Psychology/rockm/satanic.htm

http://www.northsidebaptistchurch.o...istian-rock-music/117-music-in-the-bible.html

http://www.squidoo.com/christian-rock-music-praising-god-or-the-world

#67 Baptist4life, Nov 10, 2013
  8. preacher4truth

Deuteronomy 9:3. I've already given it to you once. Praising God in song as a consuming fire judging enemies. This is His glory revealed. It's called an attribute. You simply don't like ccm and your arguments are huge out of application stretches. The truth there does in fact pertain to Gods people.

Then there is this nonsense from you and no shame where there should be shame. You judge those who sing CCM infer they aren't filled with the Spirit, and say they only do it to sound good. So tell me when you got put on a pedestal and throne and were gifted to read hearts and infer upon ones spiritual state something negative because they sing and play music you hate.

The rest of your post was pure conjecture and subjective use of scripture and unfortunately drivel laden. You simply don't like ccm. We got it.

9. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, now stop this right here!

Your mess'n with the Chuck Wagon Gang! They were good people.

:)

Ones who know me know I do and historically have shown and compared - as I suggested in a previous post as applicable to ALL music.

Seriously, if folks who pervert doctrine for showmanship were not and ARE not condemned as presenting half truth and failed doctrine, then it is truly shameful!

Too often, preachers and fine arts folks have been "excused" from being held accountable for sound doctrine.

Such isn't a "modern trend" but excuse of behavior has been around sense God confronted Adam.

Too often folks get by with what is not Scriptural because they are "good."

Such is wrong - no matter what the "showmanship" or being labeled as "good people."

That is so very true!

That has been the center of my own discussion of music with the assemblies for well over 50 years!

I disagree.

The "elements" of music have little to do with the impact. Rather, it is how the elements are put together.

Using beat as an example. I will present a brief music lesson.

Beat must occur in all music - it is the unheard feeling of keeping time. When you hear "the beat" it is called rhythm.

Now before anyone starts on my case about the "common term" meaning, please - I've heard it all before - doesn't change the facts.

A repeated rhythm set to a steady tempo causes the brain to respond with movement.

The stronger the rhythm (more dominant) to the steady tempo the more tension and more overt the movement.

This is why you see in one of the clips posted earlier the head and leg movements becoming more and more overt.

The questions must be raised:

If in fact the body is controlled to this extent by the music of rhythm and tempo, how much more should it not be controlled by the Holy Spirit?

Are the two (as shown in that video clip) consistent as presenting the believer as worldly or not?

These are questions each believer must account in their own walk, and not to be ignored - which is historically such examination has NOT been consistently taught or even a consideration of the typical believer.

Also, a matter to consider is the intended focus of the performers.

If one desires to incite the crowd, then quoting "Mary had a little lamb" at Christmas can be used. It matters very little as far as what is used, be it traditional, modern or blended, be it sacred or secular. Crowds are dumb when it comes to being duped into a lie. Example - look at the youth movement in Germany during the mid to late 1930's.

This is NOT a generational issue.

It is an issue of how the enemy of the believer can distort, disunion, and destroy.

This issue wouldn't even be an issue if folks would determine to follow what Paul said to the Thessoalonians:
    14 We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15 See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another and for all people. 16 Rejoice always; 17 pray without ceasing; 18 in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 19 Do not quench the Spirit; 20 do not despise prophetic utterances. 21 But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good;22 abstain from every form of evil.
    I understand your disgust, but think it is an over reach.

What song has been recorded more, performed more, and sung by more professionals of note more than any other?

Amazing Grace.

Not to say it is inspired in the sense of rising to the level of God's word, but one must admit that there has been no greater song written to date.

And to think Newton wrote the song to be sung for his assembly only, and it was not until much later he included it in a hymnal.

Folks,

There is a common test given to all "great art" by those in the fine art business.

First, is it elementally solid - that is by structure and design is it "put together" in a way that makes sense. For example one does not recognize as great anything that is filled with nothing but discordant sounds of no purpose but randomly thrown together as a child might "bang on the piano keys."

Second, is it lasting. Does it have staying power. The art of "great artists" remain great - not because of the artist's name recognition, but because the art itself is great art. Examples can be recognized in the work of any notable fine arts book.

Note: Fine arts does not mean just drawing and painting. Fine arts is ALL the arts - music, sculpting, painting, acting, performance, dance, ...

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stryken, 'Crush the Head of Satan':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxTOKwOQqmc

"There he goes!
    Take him away!
    Crush!
    Crush!
    Crush!

He roars like a lion, seeking whom he may devour
    Oh yeah!
    But think for a minute, who gave him the power
    Oh yeah!
    I know, you know, it’s time we all choose
    Jesus - Satan, you win or you lose

Crush the head of Satan! Under our feet
    Crush the head of Satan! Lord God of Peace
    Crush the head of Satan! Don’t let him breathe
    Crush him!
    Crush him!. . . "

11. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The members of Stryken all used stage names to conceal their true identities. One of the members of Stryken, stage name, Stephen Streiker, (birth name, Stephen Hopkins) has gone on to repent of his career in "Christian rock", which he now refers to as, "a contradiction of terms". Today Hopkins serves as an elder and pastor of a "family-integrated" reformed Baptist church in Burnet, Texas, and is the father of sixteen children. He also authored the book, The Cult of Jabez, and the falling away of the church in America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stryken

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, now he's 'Founders Friendly':

http://www.founders.org/misc/chlist/TX.html

LOL I don't imagine the spandex/cosmetics/caterwauling schtick would go over well in his new crowd.

13. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are so very wrong:

Look at these commentaries to see why.

This passage is not presented "in song" but as prophecy of why God is going to destroy the folks ahead of Israel.

The people are not praising God "in song" but listening to how utterly failures they are, yet God is faithful to destroy the wickedness despite what His own are like.

That you don't recognize this is quite troubling.

But your use of this as an excuse is more proof of why you are not really reading my posts on this thread accurately.

A biased assumption unproven, unfounded, and shown repeatedly untrue.

I have seen nothing of substance from your post that I wouldn't put in the place of a person who grabs any verse thinking they prove the view valid when they have not.

As it applies to the "consuming fire" issue - which this discussion between us is supposed to reflect, unless you can show that the Scriptures do in fact teach that the words are used to enhance, or even at all applicable to the believer, you will remain fatally wrong.

I gave you a list of all the verses in which the words are used, and you have come back with one attempt and that was with rational that is foreign to the actual intent used in any use of the words in Scripture.

You tolerate from yourself, what historically on the BB you have not tolerated out of others!

You are so beyond wrong!

Show me were I have blanket judged all "those who sing CCM" and "infer they aren't filled with the Spirit."

But, then what have you offered for actual proof of your view of "consuming fire" being presented Scripturally?

• You have attempted and failed to put my posts into an inappropriate alignment.
    • You have attempted and failed to use Scriptures to bolster and validate your own scheme.
    • You have attempted and failed to scorn my own use of Scripture, fatally trying to refute the Word with inaccurate statements not only about me but the Word, too.
    • You have attempted and failed to show how the "consuming fire" referenced in the posts above are doctrinally sound and should not be openly rebuked.
    Yet, you would consider my "post was pure conjecture and subjective use of scripture and unfortunately drivel laden."

I conclude that, unless I read differently, you are destitute of true wisdom when it comes to the topic of "consuming fire;" also, I am certainly disappointed with your discernment of my posts - for it is apparent you have not read with any display of understanding and without assumption of bias.

14. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the links:
    Totally subjective.

Question begging, innuendo, unsupported allegations.

Innuendo, leading questions, false choices.

Totally subjective.

15. preacher4truth

You have serious reading comprehension problems my friend.

I never said the VERSE was about the people of God singing a thing. I implied the song you hate IS and that it can Scripturally use it in support and by way of application to the believer today as well as it was for the people of God then. Get it now?

Remember though, it is your job to tell us who is spirit filled, or to cast doubt that others are, and to tell us who only does things to sound good -- yes, all who sing music you don't like fall into that camp, right?

Learn to own up, learn to comprehend and put an end to misrepresenting me.

You said there is no Scriptural basis for singing about God a consuming fire, or some drivel like that, and/or that it is not for God's people. Dt. 9:3 shows it IS in FACT FOR God's people and is for them in that it is against God's peoples enemies.

You're ridiculous. I've already done that and showed you it was for His people. The OT is written for us as well and is applicable. Go see Paul on that one. 2 Timothy 3:15ff as well. Also in one of his other epistles explicitly says it is for US. Go dig into your Bible and learn for once and where it is. No matter how you try to dismiss clear evidence and application you cannot and have not done it.

See above my friend and admit. I've given you a passage that was for God's people and it is clearly stated as such.

So you're hysterical and historical. Calm down. You're angry and now getting personal. I've seen your anger for some time now. Just admit your error and that you missed a passage that shows it is for God's people.

Dream on! :smilewinkgrin: :laugh:

You've done it in this thread way back. You're trying to bury it. You both judged AND condemned ALL CCM singers and told us the intent of their hearts and judged them about being filled with the spirit, casting doubt on that. We all know what the intent of doing that is. Don't play dumb. I know EXACTLY what you meant. You've also claimed others are deceived by them, implied they are &c. That's foolishness on your part. You've gone too far.

You know what you did after that? You ASSUMED then that I use CCM music or that it is my fav (something similar) and you went on a little tirade over that. Ridiculous behavior on your part agedman.

It was. It is again.

You who has judged CCM persons are going to come out and attempt to condemn another's 'discernment'? That is getting hypocritical bro. Wow, just wow!

More personal attacks. I've given clear evidence the passage was IN FACT for God's people. I never claimed the VERSE was a song. Ever. You added that then attacked it. I implied it is a justifiable verse for singing about our God being a consuming fire FOR us against our ENEMIES. The NT also supports as I've shown above that the OT is in fact for us.

Keep your personal attacks out of this, you've used it on many godly singers and condemned them and their spiritual state, now you're turning that on me as well. Put an end to it and accept the fact that you misrepresented me (I never claimed the verse a song) and that God a consuming fire is applicable to believers today as it was to them as well. Your hatred for the CCM people has blinded you with anger and you've been on an attacking tirade since. We get it, you disdain them as people and their music.

16. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, list 5 CCM songs you like.

17. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But THAT is the point - the intent AND the direct statements of the song are not Scriptural.

THAT is what you contended in this discussion, and I have shown it as totally false.

If one is presenting what is unScriptural as Scriptural and statements are made of them having the Holy Spirit direction and making truthful statements, how is that presenting what is righteous?

How is that not exactly the same as done in Eden.

What you SHOULD and this group should have done was modified the lyrics to refer to God's "Refining fire."

See this example:
    Psalms 66: 10 For You have tried us, O God;
    You have refined us as silver is refined.

Jeremiah 9:7 Therefore thus says the LORD of hosts,
    “Behold, I will refine them and assay them;
    For what else can I do, because of the daughter of My people?
    In both of these, the people are not "consumed" but refined. A huge difference because God does not "consume" those of His name.

Rather, he purges them, prunes them, but never does he utter destroy them as "consuming fire" used in EVERY case means.

This is a point of doctrine, and sloppy doctrine leads to sloppy Christianity in practice and discernment.

Sloppy interpretation on your part does not mean I am obliged to agree.

Correct you interpretation, and perhaps there may be agreement.

Deuteronomy 9 specifically gives the reason for the consuming fire. It was not for His people. In fact, there was absolutely NO REASON related to the Israeli, that God went before them as a "Consuming fire."

4 "Do not say in your heart when the LORD your God has driven them out before you, ‘Because of my righteousness the LORD has brought me in to possess this land,’ but it is because of the wickedness of these nations that the LORD is dispossessing them before you. 5 "It is not for your righteousness or for the uprightness of your heart that you are going to possess their land, but it is because of the wickedness of these nations that the LORD your God is driving them out before you, in order to confirm the oath which the LORD swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. 6 "Know, then, it is not because of your righteousness that the LORD your God is giving you this good land to possess, for you are a stubborn people.

Only as dementia overtakes me as a thief creeping about destroying what I once commanded in strength. Covering me over with shadows long past.

If I missed the passage you would have been able to show it. But you haven't, and what I have done is show you in error.

Are you so confident in your own wisdom that you automatically can see what is only Spiritually discerned?

I stated what the Apostle John states needs to be a practice of the believer.

As already pointed out on the thread the deceit and slight of hand is no "modern" phenomena, but is typical from Eden.

More than 50 years ago, I stood encouraging believers to use discernment and as Paul states to sift everything by Scripture and Scripture principle. Especially those who proclaim the Scriptures be it preaching, writing or in the fine arts.

If this group sings a song that is based upon a Scriptural view that is false, then the discernment of the believer needs to reject not just the song, but the spirit behind the song.

Again, it is alarming that you don't support such as basic to practice by the believer.

Oh, pooh.

Your posts have been nothing but supportive of CCM and CCW.

Don't be like Adam and try to shift the blame for your lack of discernment.

When it is shown in sloppy handling of Scriptures (as you have done) and in supporting what is clearly presented as unScriptural (as you have done) it is not hypocritical to be called out for the error.

Nope, as I have given example from Scripture there is NEVER a time when "consuming fire" is used other than applying to heathen.

My personal attacks?

Do you read your own posts?

If you think I have misrepresented you, or your statements, then perhaps you need to print your posts, and spend some time in reflection.

You claim what is not Scriptural as related for God's own. You have been shown wrong.

You claim that I am taking Scriptures and "stretching" them to some view that supports my own bias. You have been shown wrong.

You claim that I am proclaiming judgment on a specific style of worship. There is no foundation in my posts on this thread to support that reflection.

Perhaps that might not be a waste of time.

Like I stated, you are at the point to where you will either have to change your handle or change your post views on this matter.

18. preacher4truth

You said there is no such passage for God's people, and I showed you one that is specifically for the people of God. You're being dishonest and won't own up.

Here is the verse which you claim does not show God as a consuming fire for His people:

"Know therefore today that it is the LORD your God who is crossing over before you as a consuming fire. He will destroy them and He will subdue them before you, so that you may drive them out and destroy them quickly, just as the LORD has spoken to you. Deut. 9:3

You falsely stated I claimed the VERSE a SONG and I did no such thing. But you don't talk in facts, you talk in straw man arguments and even avoid things you've stated clearly in this thread and deny you've said them. Hmmmmm. Interesting.

The LORD. A consuming fire for His people. It's plainly in the text. Deny it all you want.

I've pointed out your personal attacks both upon all CCM groups singers and on me. If you have something specific other than some generalization about me attacking personally then go fetch it. I've shown you to do this in the context of this thread.

You say God is not a consuming fire for His people and used that fabrication to condemn a group that sings. I've shown that He in fact is such. It's plainly in the Scripture above.

You have right here and here is the quote and there is more:

You condemned CCM music and others called you on it as well. Now you're being dishonest.

There you go getting personal and inflammatory again. I've shown clearly how the passage works and it is plain to see. You don't WANT to see it as it proves you are wrong.

I find it actually saddening that you deny your attack on a specific form of praise music, that you personally attack me with unnecessary derogatory comments and deny this, that you'e condemned CCM and have judged them and that you continue your personal attack here. Not only this, but you also deny the clear application of Dt. 9:3 for and to the people of God, what He would do for them, and that He is such for them.

#78 preacher4truth, Nov 10, 2013
  19. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God did not cross Jordan "for his people" as you keep insisting.

He did it because he was bringing judgment upon the heathen.

That he used Israel to bring judgment is not doing it FOR his people.

In fact, The Scriptures state that very point.

Deuteronomy 9

9 “Hear, O Israel! You are crossing over the Jordan today to go in to dispossess nations greater and mightier than you, great cities fortified to heaven, 2 a people great and tall, the sons of the Anakim, whom you know and of whom you have heard it said, ‘Who can stand before the sons of Anak?’ 3 Know therefore today that it is the Lord your God who is crossing over before you as a consuming fire. He will destroy them and He will subdue them before you, so that you may drive them out and destroy them quickly, just as the Lord has spoken to you.
    4 “Do not say in your heart when the Lord your God has driven them out before you, ‘Because of my righteousness the Lord has brought me in to possess this land,’ but it is because of the wickedness of these nations that the Lord is dispossessing them before you. 5 It is not for your righteousness or for the uprightness of your heart that you are going to possess their land, but it is because of the wickedness of these nations that the Lord your God is driving them out before you, in order to confirm the oath which the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
    6 “Know, then, it is not because of your righteousness that the Lord your God is giving you this good land to possess, for you are a stubborn people."

You can claim to your last breath that God did it for Israel.

IN CONTEXT, God stated nope - not so.

God did it for the sole purpose that the folks residing there were wicked.

God used Israel, but not for any reason for Israel - and God states the exact reason why.

You are in error.

And by application so was the song.

20. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that's fine. But not all Christians share your opinion.
    Aside from the fact that your description of the goings-on in those videos is very subjective (lewd dancing? I don't see any)...
    I think few if any would agree that you need any of that stuff to worship or that it's part of worship at all, but as it IS a concert it is fun to have. I personally don't have a problem with it. You go to concerts to have fun. Since it is Christian music and bands, worship can be involved. But that doesn't mean Christians can't have fun, too.
    As a bonus, you might be able to persuade a non-believer who may not agree to attending an actual church service to come and he might learn about Christ while there. Because they do have a time of prayer and mention the gospel message if I remember correctly.
    Would I approve of all the lights and other entertainment factors in church? No, because church is a time of worship and learning, not a time to be entertained.

Being separate from the world doesn't mean avoiding things just because they are popular. It doesn't mean Christians should never use laser lights or wear popular clothes or dance for joy or use clean slang just because "that's worldly", it doesn't mean we need to be stuck in the past just so the world can look at us going, "oh, they're different and so righteous!"
    It means we don't take on the attitude of the world, we don't change according to the world's standards of right and wrong.
    Wouldn't it be better if the world recognized Christians as being different from everyone else in regards to kindness and charity, sticking to our morals, and the other things we are commanded to be? If "being separate from the world" simply means following a set of rules simply for the sake of appearing different, then you fall into this mindset of "oh, I follow all these rules, I'm such a good Christian", when in fact we may be lacking in the qualities that matter such as really reaching out to the world in grace and love.

#80 evenifigoalone, Nov 10, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.