1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church of Christ Debate

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Apr 16, 2008.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Until we have Scripture for "water" referring to physical birth, it becomes like "a book" in Scripture is like our book today.

Scripture is the order of the day.

2. Whowillgo

Whowillgo Member
    Site Supporter

I cannot give you one my friend nor can I give you scripture reference for the gospel being a pearl except in Mt. 7and 13 but it is there for the first time and no time after. I can accept there are various ways of viewing the use of water in John 3 and I certainly would not want to build a doctrine on my understanding of it. I do believe that the inherent danger of baptism for salvation is a lack of complete faith in our Lord.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

To compare or contrast against "pearl" is not new to Scripture (see Job 28:18; Ps 19:10).

Now I'm not a baptismal regenerationist.

I just believe in proving things from Scripture.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

For many years, the only interpretation I was taught was that being born of water referred to physical birth.

Then someone pointed out Ephesians 5:25 "Husbands, love your wives even as Christ also loved the church and gave himself for it, that He may sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water of the word.

Here, water is the word, presumably the word of God. Would that apply here? We have to be careful, because the "word" was the Old Testament at the time Jesus spoke this to Nicodemus. And "water" was used on several occasions to mean "cleansing," either actual or ritual.

Any thoughts?

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Compare John 3:5 and John 3:6

6. Whowillgo

Whowillgo Member
    Site Supporter

I too believe in proof from scripture but I do not believe that everything in scripture has the same symbolic meaning everytime it occurs. Again I would reference the pearl, it is used in Job in comparison to wisdom but in Matthew in reference to the gospel. Yes wisdom is inherent in the gospel but that is not the meaning Christ had. I spent most of my life believing that the reference of water was referring to the word but I have come to feel that Christ was trying to give this educated man a basic lesson He could understand. See V.12, Christ explained the demands of salvation in 3, 5, 7 water only being used in 5 after stating in 3 that we must be born again. Is He not carrying on the thought from V.3 about rebirth. I highly respect and value your understanding and truly enjoy this discussion.

7. Whowillgo

Whowillgo Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, husbands are commanded to wash their brides as Christ washed the church in the word. John tells us the word is Christ himself (John 1:1) existing from the beginning before the Old Testament was written. Again I certainly would not want to try and find fault with another's understanding but I feel the washing is in Christ Himself, through scripture certainly but also through the enviroment of a home dedicated to following Christ's example. Thus surronding our wives with Christ.

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

John 3:12 reads:

"I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things?" (TNIV).

I'm not sure I understand your point from this verse.

Nicodemus is the one who made reference to physical birth.

So I find Jesus' reply in the next verse to be quite odd if "water" refers to physical birth.

What does physical birth have to do with entering the kingdom, if a person is already birth and grown, in the case of Nicodemus?

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Since baptism was not ever something Jesus taught in any of the other times that He spoke of the Kingdom of God and entering the kingdom, then why would He speak of it in this case? Nicodemus brought up the natural birth - and Jesus agreed with the natural birth - but that it was not the only birth to occur for someone to enter the kingdom of heaven. You need to be born physically AND born spiritually. Just the physical birth is not enough. Since we know that one can give their life to Christ on the cross and on their death bed and be with Christ that day, then how can we say that baptism is necessary and that Jesus said it was? Yes, He commanded that believers be baptized, but it is not FOR salvation - but representing our being buried and raised from the dead as Christ was. It has no special powers to help save us - but it IS a command and so it is right for us to follow.

Jesus said "Unless a man be born again, he cannot see kingdom of God". He did not say anything about baptism so did He lie?

10. skypair

skypair Active Member

TC, did you take your thinking cap off, bro? Nicodemus IMMEDIATELY asked Jesus if a man could go back into his mother's womb. Isn't that good enough for you to say that the water is the physical birth??

Besides, what I understand of your theology, you would agree that only the Spirit was necessary for regeneration. The "washing of the Word" would merely "inform" the fact that you are saved. It would have NO bearing on the rebirth as you understand it.

skypair

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Skypair, I think you're the one who took off the thinking cap. :) Or may the discernment cap?

Cal and non-Cal alike agree that salvation is all of God. The new birth has nothing to do with the physical birth. It is all of God (not the will of man) and all Spiritual.

If one of the requirements for the "new birth" is physical birth, then what happens to babies who die in the womb? They do not qualify for eternal life? See? That's what you end up with when you try to make Jesus statement of "being born of water" mean the physical birth.

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

skypair, I'm just interested in what "water" meanins in John 3:5.

The distinguished Don Carson use to believe that "water" referred to amniotic fluid, but then a student did some research that caused him to change his position.

If Scripture makes it obvious that "water" refers to physical birth, then I'll go with Scripture.

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Amy, you have raised some good questions for us all to answer. :thumbs:

14. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Jesus is referring to water baptism in John 3 but the main point is that one must also be born of the Spirit. He is contrasting John's baptism with baptism in His name which is somehow connected with receiving the gift of the Spirit. Remember the folks in Acts 19 that hadn't received the Spirit and knew only John's baptism. After they were baptized in the name of Jesus they received the Holy Spirit.

#54 lbaker, Apr 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2008
  15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Cornelius and company received the Holy Spirit before being baptized in water.

Act 10:44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word.
    Act 10:45 And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also.
    Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God. Then Peter answered,
    Act 10:47 "Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?"

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I had 2 babies die in my womb and they still were born. One of them came by a natural birth (miscarriage) and the other was born by a doctor's hand. But in both cases, there was the water that was in the sack that was born with them - so even children who die in the womb are physically born.

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ann, I am truly sorry for your loss. :praying:

But how far do we go with this? When does life begin? Is that embryo a person? If it dies, what it born? I say yes, it was a person, but no, death does not mean birth. But I don't want to argue with you. I believe when the Bible speaks of birth, it's talking about natural birth. Not c-sections or whatever means modern medicine uses to remove the baby.

I guess we will just have to disagree on this one. I do not see the new birth having anything to do with physical birth. It is 100% spiritual.

But that is just my opinion.

God Bless

18. lbaker

lbaker New Member

True. And the folks in Acts 19 received the Spirit after being immersed. So, which was the rule and which the exception?

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The rule is this:
    Acts was a time of transition in which the Gentiles were now becoming part of God's family. I think the reason that the Holy Spirit delayed in coming to some Gentiles was so that the Jews and the apostles could have absolute proof that God had also accepted the Gentiles.

20. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Or . . . maybe the Holy Spirit came to Cornelius and his household as proof to Peter that they could be baptized. Do you think Peter and company would have allowed these Gentiles to be baptized without a sign, such as the coming of the Holy Spirit on them?