1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

church of Christ

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by JSM17, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Tom, the Scripture you point to is indeed true, BUT it speaks to the grounds of salvation. It is absolutely true that nothing man can do is meritorious in salvation, neither is anything that man does considered in the sense of ‘that for the sake of,’ or the grounds of salvation. The grounds of salvation is none other than the mercy and grace of God. The sacrifice of Christ, by the life and shedding of His blood are the only meritorious works involved in salvation.

So again, speaking of the grounds of salvation, the verse you quote is indeed true and correct. That does not preclude the notion that indeed God has mandated conditions for man to fulfill that involve the will of man, ‘without which’ none shall be saved just as the prison illustration illustrates the principles involved. It can be said that salvation is apart from the will of man, again referring to the grounds of salvation, while at the same time salvation indeed does involve the will of man thought of in the sense of ‘not without which.’ We are not saved for the sake of our wills, but neither will any be saved apart from our wills involvement in the fulfilling of the conditions of salvation, which are; faith, repentance and continued obedience to the end.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Works come FROM the salvation - it does not cause it. Belief happens because God causes it - not man.

One repents when God opens one's eyes to the truth. No man can do it on his own.

1 Corinthians 2:14 clearly addresses this "The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned." Man CANNOT read the Word and believe. God needs to reveal it to him.

This is in clear contradiction to Scripture. Ephesians 2:8-9 is lying if what you say is true.

You are completely wrong in this. Baptism never saves.

The baptism for repentance was a Jewish practice. It did not make one justified in the eyes of the Lord.

No one struggles with what Jesus said. It always took blood to cleanse the stain of sin from a person. The blood of Christ was shed to satisfy the necessity of the shed blood once and for all.

Because it's not the baptism that saves.

How did the water save Noah? If water comes and floods your home, is it the water that saves you? Or might it just be the boat that you climb in to? It was not the water that saved but the boat. In the same way, it's not the water that saves us, but the resurrection of Christ.

Baptism is an ordinance - a command of the Lord for us to follow. It has no saving powers in and of itself. If it could, then Jesus didn't have to die. It is only by the shed blood of the Lamb of God that we are saved. We are saved before we go down into that water and we are saved when we come up.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

salvation by works is 'another gospel' foreign to scripture, a 'salvation' obtained by works is no salvation at all.

4. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Are you judging the salvation of those holding to COC doctrine, even if it is in error in some ways? If not why not?

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If a person is going to stand before the judgment seat of Christ and if asked why they would get into heaven, they say "Because I was baptized for the forgiveness of my sins", is that a true salvation?

6. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: When you deny the involvement of man’s will in faith, belief, repentance, continuance there remains but one alternative with its necessitated end, i.e., God is the sole cause of both those that receive AND those that do not received this causation from God. If that is the case, double predestination is a necessitated consequence of such beliefs. I for one find that to be a most wicked blight to place upon the character of a Holy and Just God.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, I certainly don't believe in double predestination but I know that sinful man can NOT choose God on his own. It just can't happen. No man comes to Jesus unless the Father draws him. 1 Cor. 2:14, as I posted earlier tells us that the natural man cannot accept the things of God because they are a folly to him - that he can NOT on his own understand the Gospel and come to Christ. That's pretty clear in Scripture from what I've seen.

8. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

I will just go back to the start.

To believe and to repent cannot be separated. A person who believes simultaneously repents.

Hebrews 11:1 describes “faith” as “an assurance of things hoped for, a conviction of unseen realities” (NBV). Acts 16:31b says “‘Believe on the Lord Jesus|, and you will be saved’” (ASV|NASB). If a person truly has a conviction that Jesus Christ is Lord, then s/he will immediately repent of living however s/he sees fit.

People who think that faith and repentance are distinguishable things have a low view of faith. If they have such a `faith' then it is no wonder that they think faith is worthless.

Confession and baptism are separate deeds done after faith. There is not one passage of Scripture that teaches that those who fail to make oral confession or fail to get baptized will be condemned.

There is, however, this:
    Ephesians 2:8-10 “for by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may |boast himselfe. For |in Christ Jesus, God made us new people| unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them” (ESV| GenB| ICB| KJV). ​
    It is not complicated. We are not saved due to our works. However, after we are "saved through faith," the faith that we have in Jesus Christ as Lord will motivate us to live accordingly "unto good works."

Jesus Christ forecast the same.
    John 6:28-9 says “The people asked Jesus, `What are the works God wants us to do?’ Jesus answered `The work God wants you to do is this: to believe |on him whom he hath sent” (ICB|ASV).​
    When these people asked for a plurality of “works” to “do,” Jesus had just one -- belief on Him. In Paul's terminology, he does not classify "faith" as a work, which was a license given to him by the Lord. Still, the teaching is the same: a person who believes on Jesus Christ as Lord fulfills what the Lord prescribes for salvation.

There is yet another clear statement in Scripture about this: As Peter was preaching about Jesus Christ, he said
    Acts 10:43b “everyone that believeth on him |receives| remission of sins” (ASV|ESV|ASV).​

Oral confession and baptism are obligations of every capable and rightly-knowing believer. They should never be taken lightly. Responsible Christians should be very serious about new converts making confession and being baptized. New converts should feel an immense obligation to do these things if they are not mute and if they have a known opportunity to be baptized. Still, the Bible is clear -- as believers, they are assured of salvation.

I will close with Matthew 28:19-20a where Jesus Christ said
    “Go, therefore, and make disciples of all the nations|. Baptize them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach them to obey everything that I have taught you” (NASB|NCV).​
    Per Acts 11:26, "Christians" renames “disciples” in that “the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch” (NASB), and Greek rendered “baptize” means “completely submerge,”* so we are to “completely submerge” people who are “disciples” = Christians. If people are not Christians until after they begin to come up from baptism, then we would not "completely submerge" "disciples" and so it would be impossible to obey this passage. This would be only one Bible contradiction of many Bible contradictions if believers are not saved until after baptism.

It is best to simply accept the plain statements of Scripture: believers on the Lord Jesus Christ are saved for their faith, and assured of salvation.

______
    *Stamatis, Catechetical Handbook of the Eastern Orthodox Church, page 191.

#48 Darron Steele, Feb 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2009
  9. Heavenly Pilgrim

Could we possibly need to be reminded of this verse? 1Jo 5:12 “He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.” No where does it say ‘he that hath right doctrine hath life, and he that does not have right doctrine hath not life.’

I am of the opinion that one can be saved in spite of erroneous teachings such as water baptism as being condition of salvation. IF one is truly trusting in water baptism to save them, they well may found not in Christ in the last day, but it is also entirely possible that they, in spite of their false belief, have trusted in Christ by faith to save them and as such be truly saved. By the fruits of their life, not always by the doctrines they hold to, will it be evident that God has indeed done a good work in their heart.

Just as Wesley found his heart strangely warmed by the Moravian brothers and sisters, he still instinctively knew that he could never be part of that group due to clear doctrinal differences. Wesley showed us a good example of Christian charity in his love and acceptance of the Moravians as true Christian brothers in the Lord. I believe it our Christian duty to show charity, kindness, and yes even acceptance of others with different doctrinal positions as fellow believers, if in fact they show fruits in their lives of Christian character. The fruits of the spirit are what? Doctrine? Scripture tells us the following. Ro 6:22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. Ga 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
    20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
    21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
    22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
    23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
    24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
    25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
    26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

10. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: With that I concur. Bear in mind that God’s dealings with man are passive, not coercive in salvation. He draws, not coerces. He knocks at our hearts door, not simply forcing or coercing His way in. Man is required to anser the knock and voluntarily open the door in order to be saved. That takes an act of the will.

HP: I agree. Jesus sia, “If I be lifted up I will draw all men unto myself.” That does not say that all that are drawn will be saved, or all would be saved. I know neither of us are universalists so we must conclude that the disconnect in some being lost is not a failure on God’s part to draw, but on man’s part in rebellion against God’s drawing. Man can indeed resist the drawing of God.

HP: Agreed. The Holy Spirit must indeed enlighten the heart of man, but again that enlightenment, that drawing, is passive and can be resisted by man.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Darron - I remember reading somewhere that believing and repenting are the opposite sides of the same coin. When you believe on Jesus Christ, we change our mind from the way we were going - we "repent". It doesn't mean to be sorry for our sins since God repented too and we know He's sinless. It is to change our mind from where we were going to a new direction. I know so many say that we don't need repentance to become Christians but if we turn to Christ, we change our course of direction. As you said, you can't separate the two.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So we're on the same page.

It's from here that maybe we differ - but I'm not fully certain of things yet. I know that God wishes for all to be saved but not all are. I do believe in predestination - but I also believe that there is in some way man's will involved here too. I agree with Spurgeon that we CAN have both in place and not understand it - that God's ways don't always make sense to us in our finite minds. So I'm a Calvinimian. :) Or is that an Armivinist?? Not too sure. What I DO know is that man cannot come to God without God. And those who come to Christ are truly His. To God be the glory!

13. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Right.

Some people are `sorry' but they will not change: they refuse to submit to Jesus Christ as Lord. To repent means to decide `I have been living wrongly, and that will change: I have decided to follow Jesus, He is now my Lord, and I will live accordingly.'

14. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Repentance is not simply the necessitated results of belief. Man is called on first to repent, then to believe. The prophets of old came preaching repentance. Jesus first message ever recorded was, “Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” Paul and the apostles preached repentance, not as merely the necessitated results of belief, but rather as an action of the will that must be taken, without which no salvation is possible.

The greatest revival of religion this nation has ever seen was founded on a clarion call to repentance, again, as an act of the will as opposed to a necessitated result of belief. God calls upon men, and that in the form of a command, everywhere to repent, then believe, and to remain faithful to the end.

15. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Certainly we all can have uncertainties in our theology, but we should never entertain absurdities, to say nothing of placing absurdities upon God in the name of ‘His way are higher than our ways.’

It is an absurdity to believe that God is the sole cause of mans salvation and deny double predestination. Double predestination is the logical end, and the only logical end, of that position.

I am glad, none the less, that you see the error of that which Calvin admitted was the logical and inescapable end of his theology, i.e., double predestination.

16. THEOLDMAN

THEOLDMAN New Member

Grace Trumps !!!

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

IF God was responsible for man's sin, then He would be responsible for their punishment. But He's not - so it's not double predestination. He does not predestine some to hell and some to heaven. All are headed to hell - it is just that some are saved by His grace. I do think that it is God's calling and just maybe not all are called. But "double predestination" means that He chooses the destination of people twice and that's not what happens.

18. BD17

BD17 New Member

More absurdity from HP there is no double predestination.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If you were to die right now, and stand before God, and He were to ask you: "Why should I let you into my heaven,?" what would you answer?

20. sj

sj New Member

Morgan, I can't help but ask, when you go back to visit your Mom, do they let you take communion?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.