1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church of the Nazarene

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by evangelist6589, May 1, 2016.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True or false? I hear they are quite legalistic but that alone does not make them not sound. Thanks..

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See this dissertation that examines Canada's Methodists and Nazarenes, Free Baptists and Reformed Baptists (as well as the Salvation Army). "Each of these five groups was adamant that God’s offer of salvation was extended to all of humanity.":

pdf see Chap. 2 Theology p. 44 ff.

On baptism:

"Methodists and their progeny, Pentecostal Nazarenes. . .made no issue over mode of baptism, accepting sprinkling, pouring and immersing as suitable methods. They also considered baptism as appropriate for individuals of all ages"

"Free Christian Baptists and Reformed Baptists, on the other hand, believed that baptism solely symbolised one’s own faith. As a result, they baptised only those able to profess personal conversion. Furthermore, they insisted that baptism by immersion was the only acceptable method"

On holiness:

"Reformed Baptists and Pentecostal Nazarenes embraced radical views concerning entire sanctification, ideas which a large number of Methodists and Free Christian Baptists did not accept."

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I will just email and chat with a pastor and look more closely at their website. Problem is after looking at a few churches I am just not finding much doctrine. 2/3 of the churches I visited did not even have a doctrinal statement. This sets off a red flag.

#3 evangelist6589, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
  4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe I missed it, but I did not see anything on the site about losing ones salvation which I bet is a doctrine that they hold too being 5-Pt Arminian.

Oops...

We believe that all persons, though in the possession of the experience of regeneration and entire sanctification, may fall from grace and apostatize and, unless they repent of their sins, be hopelessly and eternally lost.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, the Duggar clan opted for a Nazarene church during their lengthy stay in Little Rock while #19 was hospitalized after a premature birth.