1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Orchestras

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by FR7 Baptist, Aug 17, 2010.

1. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

Does your church have an orchestra? My church has the 50-member Chancel Orchestra, which accompanies the Chancel Choir, our vocal ensembles, and does orchestral pieces sometimes.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it would be great if we have 50 in attendence in our church

3. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett New Member

Our church, 1500 strong, has a worship leader who plays the piano, and leads me in worship of my Jesus. I'm personally not a big fan of the performance worship style, where folks sit and listen to orchestras and choirs and specials. To me, worship is a very active thing, not something that you clap for when the song is over.

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Yes, a rather small but wonderful one, especially considering my daughter plays violin with them. :thumbs:

5. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I've been a part of churches that have run the gamut from an old lady plunking one-fingered on the (poorly-tuned) piano to churches with full orchestra, pipe organ, etc., to full-on indipendent-style rock.

There is something commendable in each facet of the different worship styles, and I have fallen on my face before the Lord in each venue. Psalm 150 seems to say a lot concerning the use of music of different varieties in the worship service, and it is a heart attitude rather than the style or type that brings worship rather than entertainment.

I have noticed that the trend is away from the more formal expressions, however. Even the music school at Southern Seminary has revamped its program to be somewhat more contemporary in expression.