1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Planting in So Cal

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by aefting, Dec 30, 2004.

1. aefting

aefting New Member

We recently returned from a Christmas visit with my folks who live in Southern California. While there we had the privilege of fellowshipping with Tim Lovegrove and his family. Tim has just finished his first year of church planting in the Menifee area. They have a very interesting website, www.lahope.org, that gives insights into their vision and the challenges that face them. There are very few fundamental, expository preaching, non-KJVO, traditional music churches in Southern California. It is encouraging to see a very talented and well-prepared young man, who could really go anywhere, work in relative obscurity in such a needy area.

Andy

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The area you're referring to, Menifee, is in the low desert area, and has a fledgeling population. It's the perfet area for church planting. I'm glad to hear your trip went well.

However, you said that there are very few fundamental, expository preaching, non-KJVO, traditional music churches in Southern California. On the contrary. There are many. In my area (the OC), which is a highly populated metropolitan area, there's a church on practically every corner. Many are as you describe, and of those, several are Baptist of one flavor or another. Menifee is about 1 1/2 hours away from me if I recall. I used to have friends there, who have since moved to San Diego.

3. aefting

aefting New Member

John,

My understanding, from talking with a pastor who has a church in OC, is that very few churches in Southern California use traditional music exclusively in their services and if they do, they are normally KJVO/Hyles-type churches.

I also have a different understanding of what it means to be fundamental than what you do. So, while there are many conservative evangelical churches in So Cal, I think the number of truly fundamental (using a definition that includes the idea of separation) churches in So Cal that are also expository preaching, non-KJVO, and use traditional music is quite small. Of course, I would be happy to be wrong. [​IMG]

Andy

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Moderator note-
    A short series of posts were delted in this thread. There is a thread for KJV issues - all posters are asked to use it.
    Thanks,
    Roger
    C4K

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If you're referring to traditional music "exclusively", then perhaps your'e right. The OC is a mix of large young populations as well as large older populations. CHurches that I've known that use mostly "traditional" music will, at least on occaision, include soloists or praise teams that use more contemporary music on occaision. Also, many churches that have "strictly" traditional Sunday am services will often have a Sunday PM service that consists of more contemporary music. So perhaps you're right when referring to churches that use "exclusively" traditional music. Mostly traditional, there are many. But exclusively traditional, probably a lot less.

BTW, KJVO/Hyles-type churches are few and far between in the OC. The fact that a good percentage of the people speak more than one language tends to blow a hole wide in KJVOism.

Well, if you consider all of those factors, perhaps you're more right than I. But I think there are many churches that consist of many or most, but not necessarily all, of those factors.
    Feel free to come for a visit any time. Despite the problems that are inhierent to large-population communities, I absolutely love life in the OC. Plus, the weather is to die for!!! (which explains my hefty mortgage payments :eek: )

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having visited a large SBC church in southern Orange County (think there were 23,000 that day) I was amazed at how MANY churches were there in addition.

I just talked to a staff member there about Christmas - they had 55,000 in attendance. He said that SOUNDS like a lot, but in reality it is a 'drop in the bucket'.

Los Angeles county has 10,000,000
    Orange county (suburb) has 3,000,000

That makes 55,000 only 1 out of every 235 people in the immediate area!

(A comparable church ratio in MY area would be about 250 people on Christmas Sunday)

7. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

My nephew is doing a work in San Diego.They started up about a year age.His name is Chris Chadwick.Good kid.Well he's in his 30's now so I suppose he's not a kid anymore.His dad is a good pracher so I imagine Chris is too.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Andy,

Just curious
    If not KJVO - why would traditional music be necessary? The music you are calling traditional is much newer than the KJV?

Having helped with some church planting out there ... it is a difficult environment for foreigners ... (Non Californians)

9. aefting

aefting New Member

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Andy