1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church plays

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Dec 14, 2002.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I am not sure how many of your churches do plays for the general public as a way to evangelize. But I helped to usher at a church production at the Blumenthal in downtown Charlotte last night.

I must make a statement here.

1.) Always start on time. Starting late does not look good--especially if it is a half hour late.

2.) Don't compromise the message of the gospel or change things from the Bible for the sake of dramatization. This is great error.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen all around, Tina. EVERYTHING in a church should start exactly on time. Even one minute late sends a message to the congregation and the public that is a sloppy, slovenly, sluggardly, lackadaisical [sp] and not all that concerned.

I go to the semi-pro baseball game that is to start at 7:07. That means the song is at 7:03 and brother, at 7:07 the team is out on the field and the umpire throwing out the game ball.

Should a play at church or tomorrow's worship service be of less concern than a baseball game?

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I agree totally, Dr. Bob.

4. Pete

Pete New Member

I dunno about plays, but my puppet Charlie Chimp is starting to get around a bit. No big (or small) public shows yet, just letting word of mouth do it's work. Can't do too much at the moment anyway, mum is having all sorts of trouble with sciatica, and she operates Jenny Bee Goode, teaches Charlie God's truth from his errors.

Always on time??? What sort of Baptists do we have here?? In Oz we used to have "Baptist Time", which means 15-30 minutes late for everything ;) I think most are on time now though [​IMG]

Pete

5. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

I never heard of a woman usher.

My church puts on a musical for the purpose of sharing the gospel...Christmas, Easter, and we just started doing a Patriotic one too.

Funny thing is that when Pastor gets up to share the gospel...he does it in the midst of the musical...and you should see people run out of the auditorium...it's a shame really, he only speaks for 5 minutes or less, and then we sing and dramatise for another 20 minutes or so.

A half an hour late huh? I've seen something start 5 minutes late...but not often. And we never compromise the Bible...We would be anti what we believe if we did that.

By the way... I just finished performing in one...and my feet still hurt. I counted that with practice, two performances on Saturday and one on Sunday... I was on my feet without much break for a total of 12 hours in two days. Yeoooow! Not complaining...complaining would imply that I regret doing it...and I don't.

[ December 17, 2002, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: WisdomSeeker ]

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

In many black churches, women usher.

BTW, I volunteer usher at the Blumenthal theatre.