1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church politics

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TaterTot, Jul 11, 2006.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus said to let the dead bury the dead.

What you have stated is exactly the reason why so many young people do not want to be pastors but yet reach people for Christ. Many young people are going to seminary with the intent of reaching people but the numbers wanting to be pastors is on the decline.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You couldn't get one of um to work the shovel :smilewinkgrin:

3. savethebaptists

savethebaptists New Member

what karen said about many people following their pastor unquestioningly is true. i think that this unquestioning is what has led many churches down the road to liberalism and deadness spiritually. there can be a balance of trust and seeking the Lord on our own as well. our pastor is not the final authority he's there to help guide us on the strait and narrow, but he also needs accountability as well.

4. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Karen writes:
    "could y'all clarify more about this? LeBuick SEEMS to be saying and others seem to be agreeing that a TRUE believer is one who follows the pastor unquestioningly. That seems to me potentially full of problems, too.
    That 60% actually sounds like a pretty good group to me.
    I work if the pastor needs me. I work at what I think I am supposed to do, regardless of him asking me. But I don't just do stuff to keep busy so the pastor will think I am not lazy."

I have seen the 20% who "unquestionably follow the pastor" cause problems for other christians. If the other 80% have questions about the pastor's ideas or a difference of opinion (heaven forbid), the 20% think the others are rebels, hateful, evil, etc. This tends to disscourage the 60% from getting too involved; and the 20% uninvolved to withdraw from any leadership activity in the church. They decide they don't need this. I have seen this many times.

If you want more people to get involved, the pastor should keep reminding us that we are all human and that it is okay and many times helpful for people to ask questions and even disagree.

5. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] I've seen this too. And yes, questions should be welcomed.