1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Succession, Campbellism and Landmarkism

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Mark Osgatharp, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is obviously the other key passage.

Both Baptists and Catholics agree that Peter was given these "keys" metaphorically and that binding and loosing refers to the Jewish metaphor for lawful prohibiting and permitting.

However, I would say that the implication that this promises the authority for Peter's successors to be perfect in their binding and loosing to be beyond what the text actually says.

2. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You must not be one who would say: Amen.

Mt. 28:18--The Author of divine authority established that fact. He then gives authority to the eleven(of vs.16), so they would be authorized to carry out the commission which He gives them in 19 and 20. The promise is to be with them always, even unto the end of the world.

This promise was fulfilled on the Day of Pentecost, when The Spirit, The Holy, Third Person of the Trinity, indwelled the first assembly--another Comforter--to lead in all Truth. He continues to indwell New Testament Assemblies even today--they are the pillar and ground of the Truth.

Theere are a lot of spirits out there--most of them are not of God--only two kinds--Christ and Anti-Christ.

That is the crux of the issue: if you don't have the authority, you don't have The Spirit, The Holy either. That makes all the difference--guaranteed.

Selah,

Bro. James

3. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No disagreement from me about the above.

I disagree with this. Christ indwells in people, not assemblies of people.

4. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Where ever two or three of ye are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst." Jesus said that.

Right, it is not a building, but rather an assembly. The Spirit, The Holy, the Third Person, indwells the assembly--much the same as the shikinah glory indwelled the Holy of Holies in Israel, until the veil was split from top to bottom the day that Jesus died.

Selah

Bro. James

5. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I stand corrected. [​IMG] Excellent passage to bring up since it also refers to binding and loosing.