1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Vandalism

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by chipsgirl, Dec 15, 2004.

1. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

A few churches in our area just got vandalized, one of which is my boyfriend's father's church that he's the pastor of. Another one of the churches is Catholic and the vandals spray painted red paint on the Virgin Mary and painted an upside down cross on her. What would posess anyone to do such horrible things! Makes me sick. [​IMG] :mad:

2. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Drugs
    Alcohol

In my case it was the latter. I stood by in a drunken state while a drunken friend vandalized a church.

3. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I'm just going to guess it was a bunch of kids thinking they were being cool although I shouldn't assume.

4. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

Could have been anybody for any number of reasons. That is a perfect example of the sin nature at work. We may want to think it is impossible, but it could have even been someone who new Christ. It is the flesh that is at war with God and all things that represent Him.

5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How very unfortunately true.

(Remember Peter's little fiasco?)

6. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

People want to feel like they are rebelling and the church is an easy target for self gratification. :rolleyes:

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

In one church I pastored one of the youth vandalized part of the church. I phoned the police and it turned out to be one of the youth whose parents went to church there. The dad told mer he was having troubles with the boy. He was caught stealing on a military base and caught being truant several times from school. But when the police caught the boy the parents came unglued on me.

Then I saw the real problem. That boy gained respect for me until he knew the parents didn't approve of me calling the police. Too many babies raising kids today.

When I was a kid my dad let me know which end of the belt he used when I got in trouble. If I got in trouble at school it was worse when I got home.

But I have never been in trouble with the law at any time in my life. My parents curbed my tendencies for mischief early in life.

8. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

This is so true. :(

9. Heide

Heide New Member

I agree that it was some kids trying to act cool.

That is one thing out of my crazy childhood my parents made sure I had resepct for other peoples things.

10. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

These kids had some nerve to becuase all of the churches are on main roads right in the open.

11. joyfulkeeperathome

joyfulkeeperathome New Member

When our church was vandalized, it became a federal case b/c it was considered a hate crime....they tried to set the church on fire. It was really sad and really shook us up to think that someone would do such a thing....

12. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

That's horrible! Did they get punished by law eventually?

13. PastorLynn

PastorLynn New Member

About 14 years ago a man broke an $800 stained glass window at our church, climbed inside the sanctuary, sat down on a pew and waited for the police to arrive. When asked why he broke in he said he couldn't handle life on the outside and wanted to go back to prizon. He got his wish. But why an $800 stained glass window? He could have broken in through an office or class room window with the same effect. Btw the window that he broke faced a major street.

Not all vandals are kids.

14. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Well they caught the bad guy! Apparently it wasn't a teenage group (shows us not to assume I guess) but instead was some crazy man. He snuck a razorblade into his cell and started cutting himself. It took 6 cops to take him down! What a wacko.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Most likely, it's a bunch of kids who think they are being cool. It's still sickening, though.
    Oops! I spoke too soon! Sounds like the guy needs some psycological attention. Pray for him.

I went with the assumption that it was probably a bunch of kids because my cousin's church was vandalized a few years ago ... and they caught it all on security video. Ane here's the kicker. The kid returned a few days later to do it come more, and he was arrested, fined, and jailed.

16. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here in Southern Ohio, and in Huntington, WV, just across the Ohio River from me, a man and his live-in girl were busted for a series of church break-ins done for the purpose of theft. Among the items stolen were electronic equipment and money from a collection box to purchase Christmas presents for needy kids.

Both those people have long histories of criminal activity and it appears they're both gonna go the trip for repeat offenders. Several of the pastors of the victimized churches tried to talk to the couple, but they both laughed at them. Looks as if they're gonna get plenty of contemplation time.

Most of the stolen items were recovered from local pawn shops.

17. Servent

Servent Member

We just had to install an alarm someone broke in awhile back and stole all of the sound equipment.