1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Churches, Christians, and the Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Alcott, Jan 19, 2006.

?
  1. Keep our normal schedule of meetings and services—no change

76.3%
  2. Cancel our regularly scheduled evening service or other meetings because of SB

5.3%
  3. Change the time of one or more services or meetings to accommodate SB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Make SB viewing available for small groups at rooms at the church

5.3%
  5. Make SB viewing available on a large screen in a big room at the church

2.6%
  6. Have <i>SB parties</i> for Bible study or other groups at members’ homes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Have a big <i>SB party</i> for members and guests at church facilities

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Have a big <i>SB party</i> for members and guests at other reserved facility

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Have a Bible message during halftime of SB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Have a Bible message by minister using sports or competition as an illustration or subtext

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Have a Bible message by guest speaker using sports or competition as an illustration or subtext

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Something different from any of the options listed

5.3%
  13. I <i>assume</i> our church is doing nothing ‘special’ just because of SB

5.3%
  14. I don’t know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. No answer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the Sports forum there is a divisive thread about churches canceling meetings or doing something to incorporate or accommodate the Super Bowl (SB) on its featured Sunday, which has become something like a quasi-holiday in the USA. This poll is about what your church does on that afternoon/evening and how we personally feel about it. This is posted in the Poll forum because polls in the Sports forum do not get many responses; besides this being an issue that transcends sports.

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Living in Alaska, the SB starts after the morning service and is over before the evening. But, while I don't think a church should change its schedule for the SB, if one does, I don't hold them in lower esteem because of it.

3. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I'm curious, is anyone in a church where you would like to see some sort of outreach or event done around the Super Bowl, but the "powers that would be" keep it from taking place?

in HIS grip
    bobbyd

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Does the following Scripture have any bearing on the results of this poll?

2 Timothy 4:1-8
    1. I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
    2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
    3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
    4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
    5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.
    6 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.
    7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
    8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your post is obviously a declaration disguised in the form of a question. I don't see any valid application of the passage you cited to the results of the poll.

6. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

It seems to me to be a matter of priorities. The NFL places a very low priority on Church going people and I place a very low priority on the NFL. Fair enough.

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Taking the opportunity!!!!