1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

churches dropping the word "Baptist" from their names

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jprieto, Oct 15, 2009.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I agree 100%. If our church ever did that, it would be without me or my family.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

And there's nothing wrong with marketing per se. If marketing were categorically wrong, then we should all call for churches to remove the signs outside their churches, regardless of what they say. In the very least, we should remove the marquees that display service times, and/or the title of next Sunday's sermon.

Recently, a local church, Yorba Linda Friends Church, renamed itself to Friends Church. The presumption here would be that they're doing so to hide the name of the city they're in. BTW, they're a Quaker church. Their name doesn't have the name "Quaker" in it either.
    So you'd leave a church over the triviality of what's on the shingle?

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Richard Nixon was a Quaker and he was associated with that town. Is there any connection? Anyway, maybe each local church is a different story. In the case of our local church, the name identifies what we believe. The churches locally that have dropped the name Baptist have done so to attract new people, in my opinion, giving up some of their core beliefs. That may not be true every where, so maybe one cannot paint this issue with one brush.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes, Friends Church is the very same church that Nixon's parents helped establish. Been there many times. Great church. My best friends go there. It's grown quite a bit since those early days. In any other part of the country, it would be considered a megachurch, but here, it's typical of long established congregations (1000+ members is not unusual here). Friends church is a stone's throw from the Nixon Library, where I occaisionally volunteer to give tours.
    I'm willing to bet that the core beliefs were abandoned long before dropping the name "Baptist". In your case, I can see the concern.
    That's my point exactly: That each instance of name changing should be discerned on its own merits.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Just a side note, I thought a lot of his Presidency, and actually shook hands with him once. He was one of the most capable leaders of my life time. I am a definite minority on this, but everyone elected to the office after Reagan is pathetic.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

So you support Westboro Baptist and their local authority? What is local church authority if it is a synagogue of Satan?

For example: In Houston, Texas which local church and Baptist faith are you referring to?

#166 gb93433, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2009
  7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If you ever come out to So Cal, I encourage you to take a trip to the Nixon and Reagan libraries. It's not a partisan thing, they're just fantastic sites of educational importance.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The nail now has a migraine...exactly!
    For those who hate the idea of any kind of marketing, be sure to tell your congregation that word of mouth is the best form of it...don't tell anyone which church you go to!

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Actually, the formal name of the Quakers is the Society of Friends. So, they're not hiding anything. Don't see a problem here as it relates to the OP.

I'm not opposed to my church advertising, or marketing, itself. Call it outreach. The debate is over the strategy The question before the house is over the merits of omitting the name Baptist from the church, which is a marketing strategy.

Let's don't deny what it is.

#169 Tom Butler, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2009
  10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Good point. But as far as Baptists go, there usually isn't a formal name like there is with formal denominations. And even in formal denoms, the denom is often not on the shingle. Many RCA and CRC churches say "community church". Foursquare churches usually don't say Foursquare on their signs. Etc.

Baptist is a faith and practice system, and not a denomination. It's also a faith and practice system that's incorporated by many nonbaptist churches. This fact indicates that its appearance or ansence from a shingle is irrelevant either way.

11. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Jpreito said...

Oh, my goodness. I dont know how anyone could come to such a conclusion.

Look, I'm very comfortable with...and very proud to be...a Baptist.

But there are many other groups, churches, denominations, parachurch ministries, etc etc who proclaim salvation by grace alone and justification through faith in Christ alone.

We certainly are not the only ones.

12. Sakuras

Sakuras New Member

Hello,

Jpreito said "but WHY deny who we are? did not Peter did the same?"

Peter! He was afraid for his very life. Changing the name of a church is just that, name change. Sure, people can get upset over it, but that would already contribute to more division between Christians.

I don't have an issue with churches changing their name, they are self governed.

However, I could be very wrong and not seeing the big picture here.