1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

churches eliminating "Baptist" from name...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Alive in Christ, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Earlier today I found out that a church I used to attend...Morningside Baptist Church...is changing their name to Morningside *Community" Church.

This seems to be a trend these days, and I dont care for it.

Are they ashamed of the name "Baptist"?

Is it a "marketing" thing? They think it will bring more people in?

I thought it was God who brought people in?

I just dont like this trend. Why not be up front about being a baptist church???

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't like it either, but I understand it.

Don't know. I am starting to think that having the descriptor of "Baptist" in my church's name is more of a liability than a help. I have enormous appreciation for my Baptist heritage, but the actions, public statements and perception of other Baptists make it difficult for our church to minister to people who do not yet know us. On several occasions I've had people who were visiting our church suddenly stop coming because of something the Westboro "Baptist" cult has done. The only way I found out about it was because I often follow-up with visitors with whom I have had the pleasure of meeting on Sundays.

Once I explained the difference between Westboro and our church, we have usually been able to resolve the concern, but I always wonder about how many people who reject us before they even come in the door based on something Westboro has done, another Baptist church has done, or some recent public statement made by an alleged "Baptist."

For me, it would be a way of leaving behind a lot of baggage and making a fresh start. It is also a way of announcing a different focus. For instance, with your example, the church is stating that the church is not just for Baptists, it is for the community.

God does bring people in. We also work in cooperation with God to make the fellowship inviting.

No one says we have to be evasive. The most important thing about our church is that we are a community of faith, empowered by the Holy Spirit, who are expending effort to be faithful disciples of Jesus.

The fact that our understanding of the Christian faith follows historic Baptist principles is secondary to that main emphasis.

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    what's in a name ?

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

There are some churches here that have done that. They either eliminate it or put the name Baptist so small in the title one cannot see it just driving by. I have no idea why it is done. It seems like across the country. I never heard of a Methodist or Presbyterian church doing so. It must be something about the word Baptist I cannot figure out.

#4 saturneptune, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2011
  5. Alive in Christ

Seriously?? :tonofbricks:

Gosh, that is very sad, to be honest about it. One would think that anyone in posession of a mind would know that those westboro people are a bunch of nuts and fruitcakes.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Westboro being all over the news spreading their hate to a "baptist" label does not help. It matters not what is on the name of a church, it's what's contained therein. Traditionalists don't like it, but so what.

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

It's marketing.

Assuming that some folks are put off by the Baptist name, I wonder what happens when a family joins a "Community" Church, only to find out that they're really Baptist?

I understand it as a marketing decision. I understand re-packaging the product. I'm just wondering how masking the true nature of a church is not deceptive marketing.

My beloved wife also pointed out that the SBC is partly responsible. What used to be the Baptist Sunday School Board is now Lifeway. And what were Baptist Book Stores are now Lifeway Book Stores.

This really irks her. The same way she gets upset because the editors of the 1991 Baptist Hymnal changed the words in the hymn "Alas, and Did My Savior Bleed." The verse with the words "...for such a worm as I" was changed to read "for sinners such as I." Can you say hot button?

#7 Tom Butler, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2011
  8. mandym

mandym New Member

I agree:wavey:

9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Maybe we should now refer to John the community organizer, instead of John the baptist.:laugh:

10. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm absolutely serious.

The people I'm talking about are folks who do not come from a Baptist background has have been largely unchurched. They imagine that Baptists are like a mainline denomination and each Baptist church officially holds the same views as the next.

11. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John the Plunger/Dipper.

12. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Hallelujah, something you and I can actually agree on. :) That was a great funny.

13. Alive in Christ

Tom...

I can tell you what happens. They would probably be bit ticked off to some degree.

"They sort of decieved us"

"Why werent they up front about it"?

"Whats going on here?"

"What else are they hiding"

etc etc etc...

14. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sometimes you just have to laugh, it is good for the bones and countenance.
    Other things we can agree on;
    God is HOLY ,JUST , and Good...all the time.
    Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus
    1Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

2Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

14Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

15Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;

21Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

22What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

23And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

See, we can agree with many things:laugh:

15. Ed B

Ed B Member

The Assemblies of God churches are way ahead of Baptist with this trend. Many have dropped the denominational label for "XXXX Community Church" or "YYY Family Church". For them I think marketing played a role as they began to distance from their Holiness, clothesline-doctrine past to look more like the independent charismatic Churches.

There is one prominent Church in my area that was once Southern Baptist. They changed their name from "First Baptist Church X", to "The Church at X". They were already accommodating to Charismatic’s, though the Pastors did not manifest speaking in tongues and it was not part of the Worship service. Still, they evolved into an independent Church unaffiliated with any Baptist fellowship.

When I see a historically Baptist Church removing Baptist from their name I assume they are moving toward a more Charismatic church model in style and substance.

16. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Maybe they visited the Baptist Board and decided that the Baptist version of loving the brethren is something they can do without.

17. Alive in Christ

Could be, but I dont think that is going on at the Baptist church I am referring to.

The Pastor is the same on that was their when I was with that church.

He is VERY much against speaking in tongues and other "charismatic" manifstations.

18. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

We can always agree on the "essentials" of our cherished faith in Christ.

19. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

I have to disagree with this statement! Would you go to a church that had this sign up The Church of Satan ? I don't think so! So a name does mean something.

20. mandym

mandym New Member

It matters a great deal what name is on the church. It communicates something about the church. Non-traditionalists don't like it but so what.:1_grouphug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.