1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Churches from NIV to another

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TomVols, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No, I'm saying that there are many regional factors which dictate church size, which don't paint an accurate picture when applied globally.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Understood. But your region's data is still consistent with the whole. Aside from the concentration of mega churches, the other data remain consistent with the whole.

I would also question whether density and real estate prices are requisite factors for megachurch size. That doesn't hold in other areas, certainly not in Texas, for example, which has a megachurch concentration nearly equal to that of CA.

Oh well....the data is what it is, and it's certainly off topic in here :)

3. JTornado1

JTornado1 Member

My church switched its pew Bibles from the NIV to the ESV a year ago and the public Scripture readings are in the ESV. I think the ESV, which is based on the RSV, is more formal than the NIV.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

What prompted this change?

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

The church I was attending also switched pew Bibles from NIV to ESV. I wasn't involved and we weren't told exactly why.

6. JTornado1

JTornado1 Member

Our new hymnals are in the ESV, so it was decided to switch the pew Bibles from the NIV to the ESV to be more compatible. Our old hymnals used the NIV.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We don't have pew Bibles. :) So no big changes here. :wavey:

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'm sure some churches don't have pew Bibles who have made an "official switch" to one version or another.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

True. I suspect there are other factors there which may or may not be in play here. Off topic, indeed, but interesting conversation. Thanks for indulging me.

10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I'm a little surprised that a church would switch from the NIV to the ESV. My wife works in a Christian bookstore and although they have both the NIV and the ESV on the shelfs, I don't believe they have sold a single copy of the ESV, while they have sold tons of NIVs. I don't have anything against the ESV, this is just how they have not sold well here at all.

BTW, they also sell a lot of KJVs and probably the best seller currently is the NLT.

11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Each to their own, but to state as a reason for switching to the ESV is due to changes that won't even be out until 2011 is WEAK. That the NIV is more choppy is an opinion which is fine, but most bible reviewers wouldn't agree.

Dr. whatever your name is, wouldn't it just be better to say, "we think the NIV is liberal, not accurate or whatever so we aren't going to use it anymore" instead of making up excuses to mollify the folks in the pew and justify your preference?