1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Churches Gear Up for Super Bowl Sabbath

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Rufus_1611, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Churches Gear Up for Super Bowl Sabbath

Football's faithful will file into house parties and bars and, of course, Dolphin Stadium on Super Bowl Sunday to observe their holiest of holy days. But they'll also be turning out in force at churches across the country, which are tapping the popularity of sports in hopes of saving souls.

Organizers of such Super Bowl events see them as a departure from the formality of organized religion - the type of gatherings that could make someone who doesn't typically attend services feel more at home in church.​

2. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

I didn't realize the Super Bowl was played on the Sabbath ;) :tonofbricks:

Seriously, I don't have a problem with the idea that churches could use the pouplarity and culture of Superbowl Sunday to preach the gospel. It's not all that different from how we use the two Sundays we know people will be here: Christmas and Easter. That being said, I have not seen much benefit from these attempts. In my experience, Superbowl events at church generally fail for a few different reasons:

1) They don't appeal to the lost who already have plans. Instead, only the church folk show up, grateful that they can watch football at church.

2) In all the excitement of a superbowl party, the church event forgets or only half-heartedly presents the gospel.

If a church feels lead (by the spirit, not by the congregation that just really wishes they could skip church to see the game) to hold a superbowl event of some kind, I think they need to take a long hard look at how willw e get the lost there? And, How will we effectively present Christ?

I haven't seen this done well with only a few exceptions, but maybe someone else here on the BB has?

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Me neither! It's now going to be Saturday!!! NOOOO!!!!!!:eek: