1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Churches of Christ

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Erin, May 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erin

Erin New Member

Can anyone please tell me about this church? Not to be confused with ICC or UCC. They claim to be the New Testament Christians. This is on their main website:

"We are undenominational and have no central headquarters or president. The head of the church is none other than Jesus Christ himself."

Any thoughts?

2. mman

mman New Member

I'm sure there will be many negative comments, for a variety of reasons, but that is not important.

The plea of the churches of Christ is to return to the bible, do bible things in bible ways and call bible things by bible names, speak where the bible speaks, and be silent where the bible is silent, having a direct command, approved example, or necessary inference for all things done in worship.

It was not founded by Alexander Campbell or any other man. There were churches of Christ preceding Him. He was however involved heavily in the restoration movement, i.e., restoring the church of the New Testament. We can read about the establishment of the Church in Acts 2 and we become a part of that same chuch just the way they did, by believing and doing what they did.

Each congregation of the church of Christ is autonomous, or self governing. There is no "main webpage", earthly headquarters, or hiarchy in government. A plurality of elders who meet the qualifications found in scriptures rule over each congregation. Deacons, who also meet the biblical qualifications serve as special servants over a specific work. Ministers preach the word of God.

Churches of Christ reject all man-made creeds and the such like. The bible is the all suffient word of God.

Churches of Christ worship God by singing without the aid of mechanical instruments of worship, because they are not authorized in New Testament worship. The church of the first century did not use them and they were added several centruies later. They give as they have been prospered. They partake of the Lord's Supper each and every Sunday. Prayers are offered and preaching from God's word can also be expected as part of the worship service.

3. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Many Churches of Christ have gotten a bad rap over the years because they tended to insulate themselves, and often believed that they, alone, had it right and were going to Heaven. Recently I've been blessed by several different Churches of Christ who are reaching outside of themselves and becoming involved in the Christian community around them.

Many will tell you that the lack of music is part of their tradition, for the reasons mman cited above, but that they do not condemn others who use music.

All in all, the Church of Christ as a denomination is very conservative, very Fundamentalist, and their members are a lot of fun to be around, and I mean that in a very good way.

4. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

Doesn't the Chuch of Christ generally believe that Baptism is necessary for Salvation?

5. mman

mman New Member

It's not what the church of Christ believes or doesn't believe that's important, the important question is what does the bible say on the subject.

Mark 16:16 - "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved, he that believeth not shall be condemned"

The Church of Christ believes Jesus when He made that statement. Jesus was not being deceptive, just kidding, or lying, but rather was speaking in plain words that are easy to be understood.

The Church of Christ believes that baptism is for the remission of sins as clearly stated in Acts 2:38. That is the same remission of sins that Jesus' blood was shed for (Matt 26:28).

The Church of Christ believes Acts 22:16 which states that baptism washes away sins.

The Church of Christ believes that baptism puts one INTO Christ as stated in Gal 3:26-27, Rom 6:3-4.

The Church of Christ does NOT believe that there is any power in the water. The power is all in God and the blood of Jesus. Baptism is by faith (Col 2:12, Gal 3:26-27). We are saved by grace through faith. The bible does not contradict itself or negate itself. One scripture is in complete harmony with all others. Eph 2:8-9 is in complete and perfect harmony with Mark 16:16 and Gal 3:26-27.

Rom 6:3-8 "Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life. For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his. We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. For one who has died has been set free from sin. Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him.

6. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

The short answer is "yes."

7. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

Yes it is, because the OP was asking about the Church of Christ. This isn't a thread on Baptism.

But I see you posted what the Church of Christ believes that the Bible says about Baptism. So I'm confused by your statement.

8. Erin

Erin New Member

Uh...yeah there is. It's called church-of-christ.org Under yahoo's sects and denominations page there is a section on the church of christ.

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

Church of Christ's aren't entirely monolithic in some aspects. There are some who are willing to work with other Christian churches, or at least affirm their validity, and then there are others that believe everyone else BUT the Church of Christ people are going to hell.

We have both in my town.

10. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I wrote this in another forum as my summary explanation of the history of the different "Restorationist" churches.

I should also add that the Baptist Landmarkist movement can also be seen as a product of the Restoration movement.

11. mman

mman New Member

Uh...yeah there is. It's called church-of-christ.org Under yahoo's sects and denominations page there is a section on the church of christ. </font>[/QUOTE]I'm sorry, maybe you misundertood. Each congregation is autonomous. There is no central governing body or agency. Many congregations and individuals have websites, however, there is not one "official" website. The website that you referenced was started and mantained by an individual, not the "church of Christ". Hope this helps.

12. mman

mman New Member

Yes it is, because the OP was asking about the Church of Christ. This isn't a thread on Baptism.

But I see you posted what the Church of Christ believes that the Bible says about Baptism. So I'm confused by your statement.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Would you have been happier if I had answered that the church of Christ believes what the bible says about baptism?

My point is that each church is autonomous and is governed strictly by the bible. There is no creed, confession of faith, manual, etc, only the bible.

While most congregations that wear the name "Church of Christ" are in harmony with each other, (and all should be according to I Cor 1) not all are.

Since there is not a creed, or manual, etc., you cannot say this is what the "Church of Christ" teaches. The bible is the only source of authority, therefore, it is what the bible teaches that is of importance, not what one congregation believes.

13. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

My point was, the OP was about the Church of Christ and I made a comment about the CoC. Then you commented that what they do or do not believe is not important and proceeded to tell me what they do believe about Baptism; thereby, contradicting your statement about what they believe being not important. That's all. ;)

14. nate

nate New Member

That was an interesting summary of an interesting group thanks GD.

15. atestring

atestring New Member

The Church of Christ can trace it roots to the Cane Ridge Revival of 1801 in Paris Kentucky.
    The Discples of Christ and The Cmberland Presbryterians can also.
    This revival was known for its manifestations such as dancing, swooning and shouting.
    There was a split over the use of musical instruments in Church.
    They have never had a preacher to run off with the piano player.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, the poster wanted the OP, as stated, answered. You deliberately avoided that. You answered as David Koresh or Jim Jones would have answered. Afer all "they believed the Bible too."
    The fact of the matter is: You do not believe what the Bible says about baptism. Thus simply state your beliefs as a member of the COC instead of beating around the bush.
    DHK

17. atestring

atestring New Member

In America there is a flippant attitude toward water Baptism. People break fellowship with each other over the way it is done but then act as if water baptism is a take it or leave it type thing.
    Go to other countries and you will find that Water Baptism marks you a Christian.
    People loose ther inherritance and are ostrcized by their families as well as being persecuted from the time they are baptized in water.

something happens inwardly when one is baptized in water if done in the spirit of trusting Jesus as savior and after repentance.

I commend the Church of Christ for the importance they put on water baptism.

p

18. mman

mman New Member

No, the poster wanted the OP, as stated, answered. You deliberately avoided that. You answered as David Koresh or Jim Jones would have answered. Afer all "they believed the Bible too."
    The fact of the matter is: You do not believe what the Bible says about baptism. Thus simply state your beliefs as a member of the COC instead of beating around the bush.
    DHK
    </font>[/QUOTE]OK, DHK, let's see who really believes what the bible says about baptism and who doesn't!

Mark 16:16 - He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved.

I believe that.
    You reject that. You believe "He that believeth and is saved shall be baptized".

Acts 2:38 - Repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins

I believe that.

You reject that baptism is for the remission of sins (Just like Jesus' blood was shed "for the remission of sins. You can understand the meaning in Matt 26:28, but the same exact phrase used in Acts 2:38 must be twisted to mean something else.)

Acts 22:16 - Arise and be baptized and wash away your sins

I believe that.
    You reject that baptism washes away sins.

Rom 6:3-4 - Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.

I believe that.
    Your reject it because you think a person believe INTO Christ.

Gal 3:27 - For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

I believe that.
    You reject it. You believe, "For as many of you as have put on Christ by believing, were later baptized."

Col 2:12 - having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead.

I believe that.

You reject that. You believe man works during baptism not God.

I Pet 3:20-21 - ... eight persons, were brought safely through water. Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

I accept this.

You reject it. You believe that baptism, which corresponds to this, now DOES NOT save you.

Eph 4:5 ... one baptism

I accept this.
    You reject this saying there must now be two baptisms, one in water and one with the Holy Spirit, because if baptism in all these verses is really water baptism (which I can show), then my position is totally blown away, therefore it must mean something else.

You reject and twist every passage dealing with baptism. I accept them for what they are saying.

Now, answer this question that you have repeatedly refused to answer.

Was Jesus just kidding, mistaken, lying, being deceptive, or telling the truth when He said, "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved"?

19. mman

mman New Member

I very much appreciate your comments!!! My personal feeling is that God placed the importance on baptism and we are just trying to help others see the importance also.

20. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

So which is it? Is it by Baptism or the Blood?

So Baptism washes away your sins, but it's not Baptism that saves you because there is no power in water, it is the Blood of Christ which saves, but wait, no, it's Baptism that saves you????? :confused: :confused: Makes perfect sense :rolleyes:

Matthew 3:11
    "As for me, I baptize you with water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.