1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Churches 'subverted, dumbed down'

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, Jul 9, 2010.

1. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kupelian to CBN: Churches 'subverted, dumbed down'

In a televised interview on the popular Christian Broadcasting Network show "Newswatch," "How Evil Works" author David Kupelian didn't hold back in identifying one of the institutions most responsible for allowing evil to flourish in America: today's churches.

"Hasn't the church in America done a poor job of explaining what sin and evil really is?" "Newswatch" anchor Lee Webb asked Kupelian.

"The churches have very much fallen down on the job," responded Kupelian, who said they "have been subverted and dumbed down just like everything else: Our schools, our colleges, our major institutions have really been hurt, they've been subverted, they've lost their core message that they had, that really gave the great strength that America has had for all these years."

"If I were the devil and I wanted to really ruin America, who would I subvert and attack? I would attack the churches, the schools and the news media," Kupelian added.

Here is the five-minute interview with Kupelian from the July 6 edition of "Newswatch":

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=176029

...while Kupelian is offering a book here he is a Born Again Christian and telling it like it is, in my opinion that is. I've long held that many churches are missing their mark.

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

It's a good interview. I did look for not only the identification of the problem, but also the remedy which is the Gospel, and heard more of a morality based on the Bible...but I have not read the book.

The author does point to the Scriptures as something to return to and define sin and evil. This is certainly a good thing. THe consumerism that has over-taken our churches needs to be thrust out and replaced with preaching of the Scriptures.

3. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read his first book, "Marketing of Evil" and was impressed. The younger generation really doesn't have a clue as to what's behind the fads they follow.

I've asked a few young guys why they have their ears pierced only to be told it's "cool" to do so. I then relate to them about pierced ears was once a sign of being a free slave. In short, they are now slaves to the "Marketing of Evil" in America.

4. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

In my generation I have seen a moving away from identifing sin as sin and the polarization of it and I believe Kupelian has hit it on the head when he lays the blame at the feet of the church. In my youth I remember where the Churchs driving force was to minister to the lost by getting the Good News out to the word. I remember an oft used word that we seldom hear today and that word was "burden". People were burdened for lost neighbors, lost friends and family members. How long has it been since you heard the term lost ( what does the term unchurched mean?) used in your church? I saw this really start to blossum adout mid twenteth century when the churches began to imitate the world. The music programs begin to resemble a Las Vagas floor show and our sermons were entertaining often interupted with a giant guffaw like a stand up comedians monologue. Instead of leaving the church concerned for the lost (burdened) we began to leave highly entertained. Christs last words were not praise & worship but baptize and disciple

5. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amen, Berean, amen!