1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Churches to look out for...

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Shiloh, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

I have thought about getting a list of churches to be aware of because of their abuse of preachers. I get calls from young preachers looking for a church and there are some I tell them to stay away from. It might be helpful to let some of these be known. There is one in ****** . that has a history of "throwing" out their pastors. It is called ***** Baptist Church on ******. They are without a pastor at this time and I believe have been for over a year.

#1 Shiloh, Feb 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2007
  2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I am not sure of the wisdom of this idea unless the named churches are aware of what is going on and have a chance to respond.

I don't think anyone would approve of a thread on "Pastors to look out for."

3. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

I thought this would raise some ire. You know me, I don't like to stir up anything. However I think it would be a great idea to have the churches respond. I know a BUNCH of men that have been seriously hurt by some churches that continue to this day "calling" men and destroying the pastor and his families. I just got the idea from the post on hurt pastors wives.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

You misread concern for "ire."

I fear that this would listing of "churches to look out for" would quickly become a gossip session.

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "destroying the pastor and his families." With God as your director, as your supporter, as your strength, as your all in all, how does this happen?

I know churches are brutal, but then God is so much greater. Are the schools not teaching about their God adequately to inform these destroyed pastors that God is able to overcome anything - including Christians?

Not a pointed finger, just a question.

Is God so powerless before these worldly Christians that cause trouble in churches?

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I think we do an injustice to name names and only hear one side of the story, and not even from the offended party.

I will have to keep an open eye here to make it sure it does not become a church-bashing thread.

We would not support a thread which named names of pastors to be aware of so I am not sure this thread should run.

7. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

If I remember correctly there was a lot discussion about Bob Gray and Jack Hyles on here. Have you fellows never been contacted by a preacher that had been "put out" of a church and his family devastated because of it. I think it's foolish to make the statement, "With God as your director, as your supporter, as your strength, as your all in all, how does this happen?" because it does happen. Maybe it's not a good idea to name the particular involved but I think it would be a great help to the next fellow on the gang plank.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Point taken - but this is surely not a fellowship, but a debate issue. Neither of these topics, pastors or churches is conducive to fellowship.

Not sure what to do here - stay tuned :).

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I am tempted to close this thread so the moderators can discuss its validity. While I agree that we should not close blind eyes and deaf ears to churches that are "preacher eaters," we also should obey Paul's continual admonition to refrain from slander.

I counsel ministers all the time about churches that have poor histories and that can be problematic. However, I don't know if this thread would be counsel or gossip.

How about we leave it open temporarily. No posting of churches should be allowed until we give it a green light. If a church is posted, we close immediately. Let us deliberate and we'll get back to you shortly.

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

You obviously have never had to go through what far too many men of God have had to go through unnecessarily. What you're essentially saying is "Shouldn't these men of God be big enough to handle something that God disapproves of and is foreign to His Word?" Would you say the same to a woman who is being abused by her husband? A husband whose wife is having an affair?

Is God greater than sinners? Yes. Is God to tolerate sin? No. Are we to sit idly by while God's church flagrantly disobeys him? I believe not. What do you think?

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Before we get off on too many tangents, I believe it prudent to close temporarily until the moderators have a chance to mull over the wisdom of this topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.