1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured CIA finally admits it masterminded Iran’s 1953 coup

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Aug 27, 2014.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Hmmm, another instance of your "hit and run and hide" tactic? Must be someone asked you to put facts and evidence where your allegations are huh Rev?

#21 poncho, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2014
  2. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=2144530&postcount=5

Sounds like you're trying to corner the market on hypocrisy now. :rolleyes:

#22 poncho, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2014
  3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DOMA did this but it also defined marriage at the federal level as the union of one man and one woman. Obama decided not to defend the law in court challenges while continuing to enforce it. Kind of a tricky arrangement.

4. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I recently discovered that Reagan himself admitted illegally exchanging hostages for arms to Iran.

"Let's start with the part that is the most controversial. A few months ago I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and my best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and the evidence tell me it is not. As the Tower board reported, what began as a strategic opening to Iran deteriorated, in its implementation, into trading arms for hostages. This runs counter to my own beliefs, to administration policy, and to the original strategy we had in mind. There are reasons why it happened, but no excuses. It was a mistake. I undertook the original Iran initiative in order to develop relations with those who might assume leadership in a post-Khomeini government."

http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/speeches/1987/030487h.htm

5. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reagan admitted breaking the law in the hostages for arms case with our enemy Iran.

6. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Everyone knows that the CIA spies …

But – from the beginning – the CIA has also carried out black hat covert operations.

Specifically, the CIA was formed in September 1947.

A mere 9 months later, the National Security Council issued a directive to the CIA to engage in covert operations:

As used in this directive, “covert operations” are understood to be all activities (except as noted herein) which are conducted or sponsored by this Government against hostile foreign states or groups or in support of friendly foreign states or groups but which are so planned and executed that any US Government responsibility for them is not evident to unauthorized persons and that if uncovered the US Government can plausibly disclaim any responsibility for them. Specifically, such operations shall include any covert activities related to: propaganda, economic warfare; preventive direct action, including sabotage, anti-sabotage, demolition and evacuation measures; subversion against hostile states, including assistance to underground resistance movements, guerrillas and refugee liberation groups, and support of indigenous anti-communist elements in threatened countries of the free world. Such operations shall not include armed conflict by recognized military forces, espionage, counter-espionage, and cover and deception for military operations.

Since then, the CIA has engaged in a variety of unsavory covert options, including:

Read More At: http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/09/start-cia-engaged-terrorism-long-gave-plausable-deniability-government.html

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He admitted no such thing.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not tricky at all.

He is neither enforcing it nor defending it.

9. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong.

Here's an excerpt from a letter Eric Holder wrote to John Boehner:

The President has also concluded that Section 3 of DOMA, as applied to legally married same-sex couples, fails to meet that standard and is therefore unconstitutional. Given that conclusion, the President has instructed the Department not to defend the statute in Windsor and Pedersen, now pending in the Southern District of New York and the District of Connecticut. I concur in this determination.

Notwithstanding this determination, the President has informed me that Section 3 will continue to be enforced by the Executive Branch. To that end, the President has instructed Executive agencies to continue to comply with Section 3 of DOMA, consistent with the Executive's obligation to take care that the laws be faithfully executed, unless and until Congress repeals Section 3 or the judicial branch renders a definitive verdict against the law's constitutionality. This course of action respects the actions of the prior Congress that enacted DOMA, and it recognizes the judiciary as the final arbiter of the constitutional claims raised.

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2011/February/11-ag-222.html

10. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those are his words not mine. You've been accepting Fox News (??) "facts" for too long.

11. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Please provide the facts. A verifiable quote from Reagan will suffice.

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reagan did not say he "broke the law". He said what had started as an overture to Iran had deteriorated into an arms for hostage deal that went against his principles and his administration's policies.