1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Circus church.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Mar 14, 2008.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Evidently not too many insurance problems. Our "Family Life" Center has a gymnasium as well as a weight room and 2 handball courts. We also have a play area just for younger kids (under 5) and a walking track. It's quite a nice facility. Several churches in our area have such.

There's a lot of different things you can include in this kind of thing depending on the interests of the members. Ours was originally designed with a ceramics room complete with kilns for the ladies. Now those rooms are used for scrapbooking and sewing plus a host of other things. Lately the Girl Scout group one of our members leads has been having their meetings there.

We keep our facility open through the week for the members to enjoy. We have either senior members or college age members there to supervise.

Don't forget your community when you design your space. We host our Upward league there and also invite kids from the local middleschool to stay there and play/socialize in the afternoons until their parents get off work. It's a safe alternative to them staying home alone every afternoon.

2. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

In our church, we're in a very unique position in that money really isn't an issue for us. All of our other obligations are taken care of, so we know that we're going to have money to add some nice features.

One of the things we're going to do is to add solar panels. This isn't so much to go "green" (although that's always nice), as it is a matter of good stewardship. They'll pay themselves off in about six years and after that, we'll save hundreds, if not thousands, a month on the lights.

The second thing we're planning on is to have a large informal fellowship area, complete with fireplace. Again, this is something that will have both asthetic and practical value.

We'd like to have a gym, so that we can do things with the children in our area to give them an alternative to getting into trouble, and also so that they'll have an opportunity to hear the Gospel and so that we can have things like basketball and volleyball for fellowship.

This year, we started a program called "How's Your Heart?", in which we combine the study and practice of God's word for growing in holiness, with physical and nutritional activities to promote physical well being, too.

I've lost 19 lbs so far.

So I'd like to have a gym for that.

One of the reasons I like the gym and gymnasium idea so is that we have a lot (and I mean a lot of homeschoolers) in our area and I'd like to eventually have atheletic teams for homeschoolers to compete with government school kids, not to mention that we're looking into starting a private Christian school a couple of years down the road, as soon as land becomes availble.

Before anybody gets the wrong idea, I, along with the rest of the church believes very strongly that church is for the gathering of God's people for corporate preaching and teaching of God's word, corporate worship, and mutual edification, accountability, and exhortation among believers first and formost.

But we also believe that it should meet other needs in the Christian community and these are some important ones.