1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

City corrals Christians at weekend Arab fest

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donnA

donnA Active Member

people told they can not attend a public festival, told they have no freedom of speech.
    nd if it were a christian festival muslims wanted to attend, there'd be no problem.
    When your leader has declared your country to be muslim, this is what happens, don't be surprised when we see more and more of this, when it comes to your town, your home.

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

I give up...when is the last time you quoted Scripture in context on the BB?

3. billwald

billwald New Member

>He said that to his disciples about the kingdom message, not about the church.

INTERESTING! The difference is? The Church is not the Kingdom of God?

The context of the IP is Christians going to an ethnic neighborhood affair and pestering people who are content with their religion. Most Christians I know hate to see the Mormons and JWs coming and refuse to talk to them. Would any of you complain about Moslems handing out tracts in front of your church? Besides, Christianity is easily accessible to them and they can access us if the Holy Spirit is leading them in our direction.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

Boy, I bet that's convenient for you: "God, If anyone asks me, I'll tell them...but I don't want to be a nuisance. So if they don't ask, I'll just shut up and wait for them to bring it up."

Yep. That's Biblical... :rolleyes:

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Obviously the church is not the kingdom.

I would go and talk to them. Preach the gospel to them.

The Bible says "Go and compel them to come in." You disagree with that?

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

Many, many times....Billwald has shown himself to be against the direct teachings of Scripture.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Handing out tracts and talking to those interested or willing to talk is not pestering. I do not agree with stopping people to talk to them, or standing in their way. Also, it is against the law to "impede foot traffic" or vehicle traffic.

You never know whom you might reach this way. I have participated in outreaches and have had some very fruitful discussions.

I agree and this is sad. It does take time and commitment and some knowledge about their beliefs to talk to them, but it can be done.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

the goepsl is pestering? and this comes from a christian?

9. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be fair, I have experienced some situations where "the gospel" is pestering. There used to be a church from a community southeast of Fort Worth that would stand outside the largest movie theater downtown and scream, "Every one of you are going to hell," at the lines of people waiting at the ticket window (among other "witnessing" tactics).

They certainly have the legal right to do what they did, but I think they probably turned many people away from God than toward God.

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

But this isn't what's going on in this thread. Billwald is just trying to stir stuff up...

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

apparently you believe God plays no part in drawing people to Himself, He must be powerless.
    Jesus didn't seem to thik the gospel was pestering.
    Oh, no, I take that back, Jesus is the gospel, so He's the one whose a pest. right?

12. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I don't recall reading about Jesus insulting and yelling at folks who were going about their business. How would these Ft. Worth church members have any idea about a stranger's relationship with God?

13. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did you get that wild accusation?

What's interesting about it is that I had actually typed, 'Fortunately, the Father is responsible for drawing people to Himself (John 6:44), so maybe they didn't do any eternal damage' but I didn't want to derail the thread into a discussion of five-point Calvinism.

Since I'm not a five-point Calvinist (although I agree with their interpretation of almost every one of their proof texts), I believe that Christians actually do have some influence in the eternal destinies of those to whom we witness... that's why it is important to preach a sound message and be a witness who acts according to God's grace, since God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved.

So your accusation is unfounded and ridiculous.

I don't recall Jesus screaming at and condemning crowds of people He believed (for lack of a better way to phrase it) were lost. I get the impression the only time he had harsh words was for the religious establishment (scribes, lawyers, Pharisees, temple officials) and for cruel political tyrants (Herod).

Screaming at people that they are going to hell for attending a movie is a false gospel. People face eternal destruction for rejecting the call of Jesus, not attending movies.

You've really been in attack mode lately. Are you trying to witness the love of Jesus to me?

By the way, gospel means "good news". Jesus Himself is not literally the "good news", but rather the subject of the "good news". Jesus came proclaiming that the Kingdom of God is now available, and demonstrated He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. The gospel or "good news" is the message of this reality.

The gospel is not a pest. Neither is Jesus. And I wish you would stop trying to ascribe false beliefs and opinions to me. That is dishonest and certainly not Christ-like.

14. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be fair to the Kingdom Baptist Church people, they "knew" we were going to hell because of the way we were dressed (the women were not "shamefaced", whatever that means, and many, like my wife were wearing knee-length shorts) and the fact we were standing in line to see a filthy, God-dishonoring movie like Finding Nemo, which they believe is clearly forbidden in the scripture.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

whose yelling? did these peopel say they were going to yell at anyone?
    if not, your making it up.
    why would any christian object to someone else sharing the gospel?

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

you said it, thats where.
    has nothing to do with calvinism, either God can, or He can't.

and your proof this church was going to 'scream and yell' at people is what? if they weren't allowed to witness, then we can not possibly know what they would have done.
    I agree, so why keep saying it is.

17. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's referring back to your attack on me because of my post where I described how people could make pests of themselves while they were witnessing. In your zeal to attack me, you equated screaming at people with preaching the gospel, then the gospel to Jesus, then tried to claim I believed Jesus was a pest. He was simply following your non sequitur accusations to their most reasonable conclusion.

Your claim that people are making things up about you is laughable. You're the one who's been making the wild accusations.

I don't think anyone has a problem with a Christian sharing the gospel, per se. Unless "sharing the gospel" means verbally attacking others in a non-Christian, self-righteous, mean-spirited, spiteful way.

18. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, no I didn't.

You are mistaken, whether or not people are saved based on what they or others do is the fundamental concern of Calvinism.

And not one person has made any claim that God can't do anything He wants to do that is within His character.

I did not make such a claim. I was describe a situation where a church (Kingdom Baptist Church in Venus, Texas <-- I provided a link in my post) had done this very thing.

I guess you've completely missed my first post in this thread where I supported this group's right to witness, pointed out a relevant Supreme Court case that provides a solid precedent for their activities, and asserted that almost any civil rights organization (including the ACLU) would likely take their case for free.

You really need to know what you are talking about before you attack.

I've never said it was. Why do you keep making false accusations?

19. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Well no wonder, you bunch of heathens!!! :laugh:

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

I didn't attack you.
    so becasue of this they shouldn't be allowed to witness, becasue some COULD, but in this case we see nothing to suggest they have.
    and what do you call it whenchristians dont want others to witness to unbelievers? is it laughable too?

and just where, in context of this thread and these peopel being banned from witnessing, do we get that from?

UH, I showed it to you.
    then why do you object to these people witnessing to unbeleivers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.