1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Civil War Battlefield Guide

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by BobinKy, Nov 23, 2010.

1. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

What's more . . . the State of Kentucky sued the Federal Government for damages caused by Union soldiers stationed in the state during the Civil War, as well as past due compensation for services rendered during the Spanish-American War. Our state received $1 million as a result of this law suit in 1905 and used the money to build a new State Capitol Building.

Check it out.

...Bob

2. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Good link Bob. That is one way to get a new capital building.

3. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

We have civil war re-enactments every year in the area where I live in Kentucky. There are a couple of houses that are still standing from one of the battle areas...that have been restored and are now tourist attractions.

Also, there is a church still standing, and still in use, and if you visit they can show you the damaged areas from being hit by cannon balls during the battle.

Link below, from Ken Burns documentary...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCr5ZrLq6KI&feature=related

4. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A good book to have on your shelf is titled The Civil War, Day by Day by E.B. Long

This book has entries for every day of the war. I don't see it on Amazon but there are a few copies in ebay.

The National Historical Society "Images of War" 6 volumes is a good one stop collection of Civil War photograghs.

I'm lucky in that I live less than 2 hours from Gettysburg, Antietam is not far and all of the Northern Virginia Battlefields are an easy drive.

5. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I submit a good read if one is interested in the Civil War would be Shelby Foote's Civil War series. It offers a good detailed narrative of the events of the war without being too bulky.

A point of pride: My Grandpa's Great-Grandpa was a member of the 17th Indiana volunteers (part of Wilder's Lightning Brigade) on the Union side.

#25 Arbo, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2010
  6. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Funniest reenactment we ever saw was in southern Illinois at a small-town festival. There were three reenacters, and they were all Confederates.:)