1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Claims to be a Christian but isn't going to church.

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by CoachC, Apr 18, 2004.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I'm so glad to hear you're all better Mike! Our family had you in prayer!

Diane

2. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I don't believe church attendance is mandatory but I have to be honest and say that I've never met someone who claimed to be a Christian and wasn't a part of a local body of believers who took his faith very seriously.

Where else do you hear the preaching of God's word?

Who else are you accountable to?

How do you contribute to the Body of Christ?

I agree with the verses of scripture presented here and I would add that if it's not important that we're a part of a local body of believers, then why, out of all that we know about the NT church, isn't there even one example of a Christian who isn't a part of a local church?

3. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

The passage from Hebrews that Dr. Bob gave is excellent. As a deacon, I'm constantly faced with the challenge of absent members.

First and foremost, don't remind them that they have been absent. They already know that. Be their friend and show them that you sincerely care about them. People don't care how much you know (about the Bible) until they know how much you care.

There is usually a root cause for their absence and each persons situation will be unique. It's possible they may not be true believers and they have no desire to be around others that confess His Name, but that's not always the case. It could be that they have trouble making friends and the traditional church environment is intimidating. They may have had a "falling out" with a church member and there has been no forgiveness or reconciliation and they are hurting.

Most important, make sure your church has an active and caring "inreach" program to follow-up with absent members.

4. superdave

superdave New Member

Our ABF (Adult Bible Fellowship, read Sunday School) class has care groups, and we are responsible to follow up with four other couples who are in our class. The idea is not that if they miss two Sundays in a row that we harrass them about it, although we do check on those who miss, but really to get to know them well, and be in regular communication with them, so if they are gone, we most likely know why most of the time. Sick kids, out of town, etc.

It is vital that churches have organized ways of knowing who is there, and being in contact with those who are having trouble really engaging into the ministry. Our ABF classes are the forum where most of this takes place.

There are a rather large group of people who never attend an ABF class, so they miss out on the care and accountability that small groups offer, since are church is too large to know who is or is not in the service every week, those people we also make an effort to plug them into an ABF for more focused fellowship and accountability.

Growing up in Church, (literally, my dad is a Pastor) I feel uncomfortable not attending regularly, but this sadly is not a trait that is shared with some people, even some who are members of the church.

Plenty of scripture, already mentioned above makes it pretty clear that it is important. It many times seems to be lack of commitment or fear of accountability that makes people shy away from both membership and really getting involved.

5. Baptistgal

Baptistgal New Member

Kathy,

You asked about what if you have had a number of bad experiences. Just keep remembering that people around you are human, too. Those incidents you mentioned are isolated individuals acting in ways that, for all you know, was uncharacteristic for them even. We don't know what's going on in a person's life that may cause them to do or say something that really is rude. Perhaps they themselves were a visitor and didn't understand the procedures. Perhaps they had just had a fight with someone else and were still reacting in a frustrated manner with the world around them. You know, those sorts of things happen to all of us. We have words with our husband and act cranky with the next person we see because of it.

I'm sure some of what I'm saying already runs through your head, but sometimes it helps to hear it from someone else. The reasons you gave should never keep us from church. We are a body of believers that needs fellowship with one another, not just for our own personal edification, but for the edification of those around us. By continuing in the fellowship with other flawed humans we stretch ourselves, we allow God to teach us how to react to people who are being rude, even though they should know better. What better practice can we get for dealing with those in the world who may mistreat us? This is of course just one aspect of being a part of a local church, but its part of the package.

Don't give up.
    =)

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I must agree with Gina here. Now, fellowshipping with believers is indeed important, imo, but there's no biblical commandment to be a member of a church, attend a church, etc etc etc. It's encouraged for the strengthening of one's faith, but compulsury? That's a bit extreme. You can question one's level of commitment who doesn't attend church, but questioning thier salvation? C'mon.

7. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

I must agree with Gina here. Now, fellowshipping with believers is indeed important, imo, but there's no biblical commandment to be a member of a church, attend a church, etc etc etc. It's encouraged for the strengthening of one's faith, but compulsury? That's a bit extreme. You can question one's level of commitment who doesn't attend church, but questioning thier salvation? C'mon. </font>[/QUOTE]On the contrary...believers are part of the church and the forsaking of the local church is a forsaking of the church universal...a forsaking of the church universal is forsaking Christ.

The church is not some social club nor is it a place we go just to be encouraged or strengthened. You have a severe misunderstanding of what the church is if you really believe that.

I am with Daniel David on this....without exploring the nuances of every individual situation, if someone is not involved in a local church they probably are not saved.

8. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My response is always to remind folks of the #1 REASON to go to church. It is not to chat with people, it is not to eat, it is not to have everyone there "stroke" our egos. It is to focus our attention on and worship God, and hear Him speak to us. If you're not "comfortable" in this church, then go to that one. But go.

And to those who say, "You don't need to be in a church on Sunday morning to worship God. I can worship on the golf course." I say, "But do you?"

9. MalkyEL

MalkyEL Guest

[Unrelated material to topic; snipped]

[ April 21, 2004, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob Griffin ]