1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CleanFlicks Dead - Sued for Copyright Infringement

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by ACADEMIC, Aug 25, 2006.

1. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

ACADEMIC
    I dont think your comments are appropriate at all, even for mature adults.

And yes you are.

I hope you have a sence of humor. :tongue3:

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

This is what I said ... It is about editorial control. I think the problem is that Christians are unthinking. They watch this stuff and pretend that the bad part of it is a few words or a little bit of skin.

3. ACADEMIC

ACADEMIC New Member

So let us get concrete.

Who here saw and saw value in the 2004 movie The Manchurian Candidate, and who can discuss the movie intelligently?

--------------------------

#23 ACADEMIC, Aug 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2006
  4. ACADEMIC

ACADEMIC New Member

Example from the Machurican Candidate

AFTER EDITING:

Marco has brought Delp an electronic body implant used for tracking and mind control. Delp is looking at it under a microscope.

Marco: You said the army implants were for, uh, emergency medical data, right?

Delp: The ones they publicized were. There was a parallel project with all kind of scary implantables. The Clinton Watchdogs finally freaked out about it, closed down.

Marco:
    Parallel project? How'd you find out about that?

Delp: Machurian Global founded me to make some of this ****. Heard of them? Imagine not just a corporation, Marco, but a **** geopolitical extension of policy for every president since Nixon.

BEFORE EDITING:

Marco has brought Delp an electronic body implant used for tracking and mind control. Delp is looking at it under a microscope.

Marco: You said the army implants were for, uh, emergency medical data, right?

Delp: The ones they publicized were. There was a parallel project with all kind of scary implantables. The Clinton Watchdogs finally freaked out about it, closed down.

Marco: Parallel project? How'd you find out about that?

Delp: Machurian Global founded me to make some of this scary shit. Heard of them? Imagine not just a corporation, Marco, but a God damn geopolitical extension of policy for every president since Nixon.

-------------------

Pretty hard to see how removal of this profanity effects the message or integrity of the move, unworthy of the producer's name, don't you think?

Especially when TV edits the movie in exactly the same way before showing it.

Moreover, there is one point in the film where Rosie draws Marcos out to tell his disturbing story. In the process, she touches Marcos romantically and Marcos retorts, "Don't touch me." Now if this film were thought by Hollywodd moguls to be a less profitable release, they would certainly have modified this and included a sex scene between Morcos and Rosie, to try to boost box office sales among those who might wish to gawk at some skin, regardless of the larger movie, i.e., immoral people would watch the film just for the 20 second sex scene that has nothing whatsover to do with the film's real message or quality. Knowing how Hollywood sometimes works in these regards, however, this scene was edited out by the company, precisely as a TV network would do. How does this truly affect the film except in the most minor way?

You all are defending the supposed rights of movie makers to squelch the rights of family-serving companies who remove phrases and words and scenes that serve no useful important purpose to the overall movie.

You are siding against people who wish to remove incidents of fornication and nudity from such films, as do TV networks before they show it during times families are likely to watch. Literally, you all are supporting "God damn" and "scary shit, and fornication with nudity, in this instance!!!

Moderators, leave this post as is, please, since there is no other way to adequately convey this matter.

On second thought, please remove or edit this post "for profanity and family-friendly-reasons," since that will serve to show my point, and the inherent hypocrisy of detractors, better than I ever could!!! I will certainly keep a copy of this post for use in this isnatance.

-------------------------------------

#24 ACADEMIC, Aug 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2006
  5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry, but your use of gross profanity, including using God's name as a curse, in your post and highlighting it and underlining it, hoping to offend people and therefore causing them to agree with your point of view about deleting offensive things from films has backfired on you.

All it does is to offend.....not to change anyone's opinion who has posted here...from either point of view.

6. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Big difference here ACADEMIC, those "TV companies", that you have used for an example pay BIG BUCKS for the rights to show such and such film. Tell me where CleanFlicks was doing the same. You can't because as noble as their cause might have been they were skirting the law.

7. ACADEMIC

ACADEMIC New Member

Scarlett O, frankly my dear, I think you may be straining gnats and swallowing camels. But I am glad you were offended at the senseless profanity in the film, which I merely quoted. It is senseless. You prove my point.

Filmproducer, the point is that the arguments used in court in this case were disengenuous and hypocritical. They said the editing bastardized the film; yet when the same thing is done by TV networks for their audience, no.

Also, law is maleable, folks! Isn't this belief one reason why we fight against abortion? Or do we just say, "abortion on demand is the law, so it's the law."

The case at hand could be appealed to a higher court at this point. As well, congressional action could occur.

8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

TV networks have purchased the right to edit for time and content. They paid the owners of the film for the priviledge. Readers Digest pays the author of the books they condense for the right to do so.

NO ONE has the right to take another's work and chop out parts they don't like without their permission. If you don't like the film as the producer created it, don't watch it. Cleanflicks deserves to be shut down. They violated the law and violated the work of other people for profit and public performance.

9. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

It does not matter if you think the editing makes the movie better. It does not matter if you think the profanity is sensless. You (and cleanflix) does not own the rights to that move. Only the owner of that movie is allowed to decide what is sensless.

This is not hard to understand. The movie is the property of somebody. They can do what they want with their property. The law in not in place to make movies more to your liking. It is in place to protect property.

No comment on your edited posts. :smilewinkgrin:

10. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

ACADEMIC

I am glad you have changed your mind. I dont know what you are talking about with the camels though.

11. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

:thumbs: Thank you. MP pretty much summed up my response. Like I said before the networks purchased the limited rights to show the film. They did not make a profit over the editing for content and time. CleanFlicks was making a profit from the re-tooled works of others. There is a very big difference.