1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Clergy Titles

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Michael Wrenn, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

A Big ole ditto to Robert Vaughn on this one. Titles of all kinds gall me.

2. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe in the old days the actual title for one who had obtained his master's degree in New Testament or divinity and had been ordained was "the" Reverend. I call my pastor "Mister" in company, "Bill" when we are in private or among family and this only because it is how he introduced himself.

- Clint

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: Clint Kritzer ]

3. Brian

Brian New Member

I did a google search for the word reverend and have been thuroughly horrified by what is out there using the title. But thats not why I asked my question.

I asked because I was encouraged by my former pastor to use the title like when signing my name ect. after I had been licensed.
    Licensing in the SBC is like junior ordination it recognises Gods call on your life to preach.
    In practice the churches I have been member of would call the pastor, pastor or brother and if the relationship were such just first name. But in all the printed literature the county assciation news letter, church signage, bulletins ect. would read Rev. xxxxx xxxxx, pastor.
    I followed my former pastors advice for a while and after reading this thread have definitely stopped!
    I would still like to hear a few more opinions about titles thoug my mind is made up.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would never recommend a person use the title "Reverend" who was NOT a fully ordained minister.

"Licensed to Preach" is not a junior ordination (far from it) and your pastor should know that. We are watering down the credentials for pastors with each passing year and I oppose giving a title to someone who has not "earned" it through ordination.

BTW, my son who posts on the BB is a "licensed SBC preacher", but no one has ever considered him "reverend".

5. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

I'm soon to graduate an SBC seminary, and don't have a clue what being "licensed to preach" is about. Is that like a License to Kill? :D My church doesn't do this.

Where in Scripture is anyone "licensed" to preach?

6. Brian

Brian New Member

I don't nor have I felt reverend at all. Personally like many here the folks gave me the name Brian and it works real good.
    It seems that as time goes I find more things wrong with my last church and what they teach. :(

Whats extra sad is this church is considered one of the 'better' SBC churches in the area.

7. Brian

Brian New Member

Chris I have been told that it is very simmilar to when Jesus sent the tewlve and then the seventy out two by two.
    They were commisioned to preach where and as they had oportunity.

8. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chris, I'm not sure of the history of the term "licensed to preach", but it seems to have come into usage in this part of the country in the early part of the 20th century. In the mind of some it has come to be thought of as a "license" like a driver's license or something of that nature. The older terminology here was "liberated to preach"; and I think even the original idea of "license" was probably "give liberty to". The practice of "old time" churches was (and is) this: when a person announces their call to preach, the church gives that person "liberty" to exercise their gift before the church. If the church feels the person gives evidence of a gift, that person is recommmended to other churches. The idea seems to be that the person is given "license" (or liberty) under the authority of the church to exercise their gift until such a time as ordination is felt necessary or proper.

This is just my interpretation of the anecdotal evidence (my experience). I do not know more actual historical or theological background of the practice.

Coming back to the theme of clergy titles - only an ordained person would be thought of as an elder or bishop.

9. Michael Estes

Michael Estes New Member

I simply call people who hold church offices by either their name or their titile. I never call a priest Father, Reverend, or any other title which seems to me to belong solely to God.

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It is one of the prevailing customs of our churches to grant a license to young men believing themselves, and belived by others, to have been called to preach the Gospel, but not yet prepared to enter aupon the work of the ministry. This is simply an approval by the Church of the course which the candidate is pursuing. It confers no rights and imparts no authority, but expresss the conviction that the bearer possesses gifts and capabilities which indicate a call to the ministry and promise of the usefulness of it. The giving of licenses is not universal in such cases. Theological schools usually require them of students entering, as an evidence that they ahve the approvala and confidence of their churches. Churches should be very careful not to grant licenses without sufficient evidence of a divine call, and not till they have had sufficient opportunity to judge wisely in the case. And where there is evidence of a call, the Church should be as ready as they are careful to encourage the candidate in his chosen course.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe this is from Hiscox but I am not sure. It is a quote that I have in my files. Licensing commends one to preach primarily; ordination commends one as fit for the entire ministry. Licensing basically recognizes one as having a call to the ministry and intent on pursuing the preparation for it.

In a more material sense, being licensed enables one to participate in the ministerial tax benefits on income earned from preaching.

11. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I believe this is from Hiscox but I am not sure.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    This is from Hiscox. It can be found on pp. 48-49 of the 1965 Judson Press revision of his work. I dug out my old Pendleton's manual and was surprised not to find any reference to licensing (it was a quick look through, I may have missed it).