Clinton State Department Official Reveals Details of Alleged Docu

Discussion in 'News / Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Sep 15, 2014.

  1. Revmitchell

    Expand Collapse
    Well-Known Member

    Feb 18, 2006
    Likes Received:
    As the House Select Committee on Benghazi prepares for its first hearing this week, a former State Department diplomat is coming forward with a startling allegation: Hillary Clinton confidants were part of an operation to “separate” damaging documents before they were turned over to the Accountability Review Board investigating security lapses surrounding the Sept. 11, 2012, terrorist attacks on the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya.

    New Benghazi allegation puts spotlight on Hillary Clinton confidants, alleged after-hours document review.

    UPDATE: Hillary Clinton’s chief of staff allegedly present at after-hours document review.

    According to former Deputy Assistant Secretary Raymond Maxwell, the after-hours session took place over a weekend in a basement operations-type center at State Department headquarters in Washington, D.C. This is the first time Maxwell has publicly come forward with the story.

    At the time, Maxwell was a leader in the State Department’s Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs, which was charged with collecting emails and documents relevant to the Benghazi probe.

    Ray Maxwell (Photo: Sharyl Attkisson)
    Raymond Maxwell, former State Department deputy assistant secretary (Photo: Sharyl Attkisson)
    “I was not invited to that after-hours endeavor, but I heard about it and decided to check it out on a Sunday afternoon,” Maxwell says.

    He didn’t know it then, but Maxwell would ultimately become one of four State Department officials singled out for discipline—he says scapegoated—then later cleared for devastating security lapses leading up to the attacks. Four Americans, including U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens, were murdered during the Benghazi attacks.

    ‘Basement Operation’

    Maxwell says the weekend document session was held in the basement of the State Department’s Foggy Bottom headquarters in a room underneath the “jogger’s entrance.” He describes it as a large space, outfitted with computers and big screen monitors, intended for emergency planning, and with small offices on the periphery.

    When he arrived, Maxwell says he observed boxes and stacks of documents. He says a State Department office director, whom Maxwell described as close to Clinton’s top advisers, was there. Though the office director technically worked for him, Maxwell says he wasn’t consulted about her weekend assignment.

    A 'basement operation'? Department of State building in Washington, D.C. (Photo: Wayan Vota/Creative Commons)
    ‘Basement operation’: The Department of State in Washington. (Photo: Wayan Vota/Creative Commons)
    “She told me, ‘Ray, we are to go through these stacks and pull out anything that might put anybody in the [Near Eastern Affairs] front office or the seventh floor in a bad light,’” says Maxwell. He says “seventh floor” was State Department shorthand for then-Secretary of State Clinton and her principal advisers.

    “I asked her, ‘But isn’t that unethical?’ She responded, ‘Ray, those are our orders.’ ”

    Did Hillary Clinton aides withhold damaging Benghazi documents?

    A few minutes after he arrived, Maxwell says, in walked two high-ranking State Department officials.

    In an interview Monday morning on Fox News, Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, named the two Hillary Clinton confidants who allegedly were present: One was Cheryl Mills, Clinton’s chief of staff and a former White House counsel who defended President Bill Clinton during his impeachment trial. The other, Chaffetz said, was Deputy Chief of Staff Jake Sullivan, who previously worked on Hillary Clinton’s and then Barack Obama’s presidential campaigns.

    “When Cheryl saw me, she snapped, ‘Who are you?’” Maxwell says. “Jake explained, ‘That’s Ray Maxwell, an NEA deputy assistant secretary.’ She conceded, ‘Well, OK.’”

    Maxwell says the two officials, close confidants of Clinton, appeared to check in on the operation and soon left.

    Maxwell says after Mills and Sullivan arrived, he, the office director and an intern moved into a small office where they looked through some papers. Maxwell says his stack included pre-attack telegrams and cables between the U.S. embassy in Tripoli and State Department headquarters. After a short time, Maxwell says he decided to leave.

    “I didn’t feel good about it,” he says.

    Cheryl Mills, left, was Hillary Clinton’s chief of staff and former White House counsel who defended President Bill Clinton during his impeachment trial. (Photo: Newscom)
    Cheryl Mills, left, was Hillary Clinton’s chief of staff and a White House counsel who defended President Bill Clinton during his impeachment trial. (Photo: Newscom)
    We contacted Mills and Sullivan to ask about the allegations and the purpose of the described separation of documents, but they did not return calls or emails. We reached out to Clinton, who declined an interview request and offered no comment. A State Department spokesman told us it would have been impossible for anybody outside the Accountability Review Board (ARB) to control the flow of information because the board cultivated so many sources.

    ‘Unfettered Access’?

    When the ARB issued its call for documents in early October 2012, just weeks after the Benghazi attacks, the executive directorate of the State Department’s Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs was put in charge of collecting all emails and relevant material. It was gathered, boxed and—Maxwell says—ended up in the basement room prior to being turned over.

    In May 2013, when critics questioned the ARB’s investigation as not thorough enough, co-chairmen Ambassador Thomas Pickering and Adm. Mike Mullen responded that “we had unfettered access to everyone and everything including all the documentation we needed.”

    Maxwell says when he heard that statement, he couldn’t help but wonder if the ARB—perhaps unknowingly—had received from his bureau a scrubbed set of documents with the most damaging material missing.
  2. Zaac

    Expand Collapse
    Well-Known Member

    Jun 12, 2012
    Likes Received:
    September 15,2014. Guess this means that politically "conservative Republicans believe that Hillary will be the Democrat nominee for President in 2016.

    Guess the smear politics that Sean Hannity likes t say comes from the left has crossed on over to the right.:laugh:
  3. carpro

    Expand Collapse
    Well-Known Member

    Oct 14, 2004
    Likes Received:
    Anybody with any sense knows Hillary was up to her eyebrows in the Benghazi cover-up. Still is.

    It will come out. It'll take even more time, but it won't be easy. The Clinton/Obama machine is formidable and powerful. Many of the first hand witnesses have been threatened with prosecution on security grounds if they talk.

Share This Page