1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coach Fired

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by chuck2336, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Shot gun

I live in Arlington, my kids go to a TAPPS school here, and am a big P1 (sports talk radio fans in DFW know what that means..) I thought I read and heard everything about that game - I did not hear anything about the other team quitting or cheering Covenants drive to 100.

What I did read was that Covenant hit 100 with about three min left in the game - and then quit trying to score.

Were I the headmaster of Covenant, I would have fired the coach. The coach was an idiot for not taking his lumps and continuing to apologize - but he had to send an email contradicting the headmasters apology. that is basic insubordination.

Any time I have been in his postiton, I have called of the press - gone to a soft zone and instructed my players to pass the ball at least 10 times before they shoot. Absolutely NO layups.

The covenant players would have learned and improved more working a passing offense than they did having a layup drill.

2. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Times change. If this had happen when I was in school back in the 50's, started would have come out early and the last 5 would have played. Then the weaker team would have had a hard time getting a game with a lot of schools. Here in Florida public and private schools play one another and a lot of private schools can't get a game with some public schools because they don't have the talent.

My wife brought up to me a coach back in the 40's or 50's who pulled his team off the field and went home because his team was much better than the other. He was fired because at that time they said he lacks sportsmanship.

I don't think they needed to score a 100 points, but if my team were that much better it would be a hard call. I think I would have had all but 2 or 3 of my players foul out. But I don't know for sure.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

OK, I'm pretty confused now.

Shotgunwillies' account is directly contradictory of the news account, and it contradicts what a friend told me--whose niece was on the losing team:
    • The accounts I've been told (and SGW's is the first to contradict it) state that the winning team's starters played most all the game, and that they employed the press all throughout.
    • The losing team wasn't good at all--obviously. They weren't "standing around," per se, they just had no idea how to break the press. And the winning team kept employing the press all throughout the game, until very late in the final period.
    This lines up precisely with all I have been told. SGW, I think you have been given inaccurate information.

4. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Apparently we listened to two different hosts discussing the issue.

5. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

baby arm...

6. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

cobra............

7. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

ticket schtick has invaded the baptist board - whoda thunk it

8. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Did you happen to listen to the detail Norm gave on the situation?

9. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I dont think so - I usually listen in the car, and think I heard BaD radio and the Hardline discuss it.

by the way, did you hear that the Hardline plus George is going to take on the girls team at Garland Christian?

10. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

You need to listen to Norm's version of it if he has it archived. That is where the majority of the informaiton came from.

Yep, their gonna get killed.

11. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Richie Whitt of the Dallas Observer reported that Rhyner and Cobra almost went to 105.3 - the new CBS sports station. Evidently they tried to money whip him pretty hard - plus the stronger signal, rangers baseball and possibly cowboy football.

For the record, I dont think Rhyner would have been happy anyplace but the ticket - he would have had to talk sports all the time and probably take callers. It would have killed him.

12. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

By the way shotgun

another good discussion board you might like is kevin mccarty's dallas digest. As you probably know, kevin was a very popular talk radio host at KLIF for many years - KLIF's talk radio glory days with david gold and Norm Hitzges

dallasdigest.com

Check it out

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

14. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you score 100 points, against a team that had 0.
    Then there would be, cause for concern!

15. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

I agree, extra practice time for the team that couldn't find the basket