1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coffee House Chapel #3

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dan Todd, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good to remember - God doesn't owe me an explanation for anything He ordains.

I fuss and fume every day over my health, and need that constant reminder that God is God and I am His child.

2. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Is. 53:5-6, Mt. 11:28, John 1:29b, John 3:14,
    John 3:18, Romans 5:6, 2Cor. 5:19, 1Tim. 2:5-6,
    Heb. 2:9, 2Pe. 2:1, 1John 4:14, 1John 2:2, John 1:12, John 3:16-17, Gen. 4:7, Rev. 22:17
    and, many other passages, say otherwise.
    But let's look at another interesting commentator on Calvinism:

On Mark 14:24
    "The word 'many' does not mean a part of the world, but the whole human race."
    John Calvin
    (Harmony of Matthew, Mark and Luke volume III p.139)

On Romans 5:18
    "Paul makes grace common to all men, not because it in fact extends to all, but it is offered to all."
    John Calvin
    (Commentary on Romans and Thessalonians 1973, pp117-118)

"I testify and declare, that I suppliantly beg of Him, That He may be pleased so to purify me in the blood which my Sovereign Redeemer has shed for the sins of the human race"
    John Calvin
    (Last will and testament April 25, 1564 as printed in the, "History of the Christian Church, vol. 8 pp 828-829 by Philip Schaff)

John Calvin stated that Church membership was necessary for salvation:
    "According to which out of the visable Church there is no ordinary possibility of salvation."
    (Calvin's Institutes IV, i, page 20)

John Calvin on infant baptism:
    "By infant baptism, regeneration is begun..."
    (The Teaching of John Calvin, Chapter VIII part III, page 159)

"O Jesus, thou Son of the eternal God, have pity on me."
    Michael Servetus, as he was being burned at the stake, thanks to John Calvin.
    (History of Christianity, Latourette, Chapter XXXIII, page 759)
    Bad doctrine taught by a tyrant and a murderer.

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Friday, April 23, 2004

The Lamb of God

"Behold, the Lamb!"
    John 1:29

The Old Testament prophets said the Lamb would come--over and over again was their proclaimation of God's promise! But Isaiah pens in Chapter 53 verse 1--"Who hath believed our report? And to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed?"

Ole John the Baptizer believed it! John was the last of the "Proclaimers!"

Look briefly at what John proclaims of the Lamb of God!

"Behold"

The Old Testament Prophets would prophecy! "He's coming! We're telling you the truth!" and then the Prophets would "search diligently" for that promise of the Lamb coming!

Ole John here is simply saying to the crowd---"Our search is over! He's here! Among you!"

Can you imagine the feeling ole John must have gotten in his "little tummy!?" Can you imagine the Holy Spirit's "fire" igniting John's spiritual gunpowder?? Face to face with God in flesh!

Then Jesus wants John to baptize Him! Now, folks! I've baptized a lot of people in my day of ministry! But I've never baptized Jesus! Now, I admit--that baptized people ought to start "acting" like Jesus---but thats a struggle of the flesh and the spirit! Jesus is the only person who didn't have to act like Jesus! Jesus was Jesus---God in flesh! Come to think about it---Jesus baptized me!! Yes, He did! He baptized me with Him!

"Behold"---the search is over! He's among us!

"The Lamb of God"

This Lamb is God's "Personal" Lamb! The Lamb belongs to God! Imagine that!

On one hand---the Lamb BELONGS to God!

On the other hand--the Lamb IS God!

"Which taketh away the sin of the world"

In the Hebrew system of sacrifice---from the point it was instituted---untold millions of little Lambs had been sacrificed to the point in our text! And the interesting thing is---the Priests doing the sacrificing understood by faith that the lamb offered only pointed to the Lamb who would come!

IOW--the Lamb and its blood offered under that sacrificical system could only "cover" the sins of the people! It could never "take those sins away!" Hebrews 10:4 says, "For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins."

So---the Lamb came to give!!! Jesus said, "I have come that you may have life!" He is the giver of life! He is the giver of eternity!!

But the Lamb also came to "take away!" Take away our sins!

Sing that little song with me--and we close right here thinking about the Lamb who came to take away!

What can wash away my sin?
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus!
    What can make me whole again?

Oh, precious is the flow
    That makes me white as snow!
    No other fount I know

Those Hebrews looked forward by faith to the Lamb as supreme sacrifice! "He's coming! God's Lamb is coming!"

We Christians look back by faith to the Lamb as supreme sacrifice!" "He came! God's lamb came!!"

Has He taken your sins away?? He will today---if you confess them today! Amen?

4. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

All glory and honor to the Lamb!

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad we have an answer to the question, "What can wash away my sins?" Feel true sorrow for those (like Mel Gibson) who are trying on their own to find the answer . ..

6. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

April 24

Romans 11:11-12, “I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?”

This text brings us to Paul’s sixth argument showing that God’s plans for Israel has not failed. This argument is the salvation of the Gentiles, which is now occurring, is meant to arouse Israel to envy and thus be the means of saving some of them (Romans 11:11-24). In today’s text, Paul makes four points that will be the focus of his thoughts for the rest of this chapter.

1. Israel has “stumbled,” but their stumble is not final. Paul’s message is clear, God has not abandoned Israel. Yes, Israel has stumbled, but they will return. We’ve seen that Israel’s unbelief was/is not complete – as God has always had a remnant. Israel, as a nation, rejected her Messiah, but Israel, as a nation, will one day, accept her Messiah. Two passages from Zechariah speak of that time when Israel acknowledges her Messiah, 12:9-10, “ And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem. And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.” and 13:6-9, “And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends. Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, and against the man that is my fellow, saith the Lord of hosts: smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered: and I will turn mine hand upon the little ones. And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the Lord, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein. And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God.”

2. Their “stumble” had a purpose: it would be used by God to bring salvation to the Gentiles. Several times in the New Testament - Paul speaks about the opening of salvation to the Gentiles as being a “mystery.”

Romans 11:25, “For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.”

Romans 16:25, “Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,”

Ephesians 3:3-4, 6, 9, “How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) .... That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel: .... And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:”

Colossians 1:26-27, “Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:”

3. The salvation of the Gentiles will lead in time to the “fullness” of Israel, that is, to the salvation of the Jews as a nation, and this in turn will lead to even greater Gentile blessing. Boice writes, “If the salvation of the Gentiles was a mystery, this is an apparently greater mystery still. It means that the Jews have not been cast off so that salvation might come to the Gentiles instead, but that through Gentile salvation the Jews themselves might find Jesus as their Savior.”

4. The way this will happen is by the spiritual riches of the Gentiles making Israel envious. One day, the Jews will realize that the spiritual blessings of the Gentiles were intended for them, and they too will be possessors of those blessings. Leon Morris writes, “Paul is saying that the salvation of the Gentiles was intended in the divine providence to arouse in Israel a passionate desire for the same good gift.”

Do these things make sense to the human mind? No! But Paul expresses well the brilliance of God as contrasted with man’s total stupidity in Romans 11:33, “O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!”

Adapted from “Romans” by Boice.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reading that makes me proud to be dispensational! God will still be working with Israel in the days to come. [​IMG]

8. Watchman

Watchman New Member

(Waving the white flag)
    Thanks Dan,
    God still has plans for Israel.

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Sunday, April 25, 2004

"The Ordinance of the Lord's Supper"
    1Corinthians 11:23-26

Southern Baptists recognize and observe two ordinances given us from the word of God. Of course, there is baptism by immersion. When a person is saved and had made a Profession of Faith he is baptised in obedience to the command the Lord Jesus gives--he is baptized and we baptize!

The other is the ordinance of the Lord's Supper!

I want to take a moment of your time to show you why we participate---many times we go through the motion of observing without absorbing the meaning. Basically--we are to observe the ordinance with a "look"--we are to participate "looking"

Look at our text in 1Corinthians 11: 23!

He isn't receiveing this information "second hand!" but from THE Hand of Heaven! No Apostle told him--"This is the reason its done!" But Paul recieves first hand information directly from Heaven's Throne!

ITS DONE LOOKING BACK BY FAITH

Look at verse 26 at the phrase "For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do show the Lord's death. . ."

When we participate in the Lord's Supper we are telling the people around us that we're "living by faith" believing with all our hearts that Jesus Christ died for us! There was a death involved! His death!

Did you know that Jesus is the only person who ever lived who deserved not to die?? And that Jesus Christ is the only person ever lived who chose to die?? He said, "No man taketh My life, but I lay it down freely."

Now, look back in verse 26 and see how:

IT IS DONE LOOKING FORWARD BY FAITH

"For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do show the Lord's death till He come"

The little phrase, "till He come."

It tells us that there was a resurrection "tagged on" to the phrase, "ye do show the Lord's death"---when we participate in the Lord's Supper we believe with all our hearts that Jesus rose from the dead! He has become the FirstFruits of them that believe! His bodily resurrection that Sunday morning long long time ago---guarantees my bodily resurrection yet in the future!!

But participation in the Lord's Supper is also sending a public proclaimation that Jesus is coming again! With the phrase, "till He come"--it tells us there is a Second Coming in the future somewhere for me! Jesus is coming for me.

IT IS A LOOK INWARD BY FAITH

There were groups of Corinthian believers who began to tragically abuse the "Lord's Table"---and the Apostle Paul addresses the current problem in verse 28, "But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup."

We are to put the spiritual stethsoscope to our spiritual heart---and listen for an irregularity! A murmer or a regular skipping of a beat! Something out of rythem! You compare your heartbeat to that of Jesus'! Anything out of sync with His---has to be brought under control!

Some reader out there---you may be participating in the Lord's Supper today!

Use it as a moment to look back by faith---He died for me!

Look at it as a moment to look forward by faith!--He's coming for me!

Look at it as a moment to look inward by faith---He lives for me!!

Amen??

10. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Thank you Blackbird!

Folks - please join us on the "Coffee House Chapel #4"

Dan Todd