1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coffee House Chapel #3

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dan Todd, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

January 28

Romans 10:18-20, “But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world. But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you. But Esaias is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me.”

Paul had done his best to convince the gainsayers that the Jews had indeed heard the gospel. But now the objectors propose another excuse, “Perhaps they did not understand!”

Once again Paul quotes Scripture to counteract the objections. He quotes Moses from Deuteronomy 32:21 (...I will move them to jealousy with those which are not a people; I will provoke them to anger with a foolish nation.) and Isaiah from Isaiah 65:1 (I Am sought of them that asked not for me; I am found of them that sought me not;). Most commentators take this text to mean: “Didn’t the Jews understand that the gospel was to be preached to the Gentiles They did because the Old Testament (Moses, Isaiah, and other Old Testament writers) prophesied it.” Boice thinks Paul means: “Didn’t the Jews understand the gospel? They did, because they were provoked to jealousy when the Gentiles, upon whom they had often looked disparagingly, believed it.”

Boice asks the following question: “If Paul’s countrymen did not understand the gospel of Salvation by grace through the work of Christ – if it was utter foolishness to them – why would they have had such an emotional reaction when it was proclaimed among the Gentiles?” Generally the Jews did not care what the Gentiles believed. The fact that the Romans worshiped Caesar and other false gods was of little significance to the Jews, as long as the Romans did not try to impose their belief system on them. As long as they had their Judaism, they cared not what the Gentiles believed, because they “knew” their Judaism was superior in every way!

“But that was not the reaction Paul was seeing. Instead of detached indifference and smug superiority, there was jealousy and anger on the Jews’ part.” (Boice) They understood fully what was going on. The message Paul and the other Apostles were preaching was a message of salvation by grace, apart from keeping the Jewish law. Further they understood that the gospel message was not a contradiction of Judaism, but was a fulfillment of it, and that is why they were so offended.

A second offense was that Christianity was being received by these Gentile dogs, who were “no-people,” ignorant and irresponsible. That is exactly what Moses and Isaiah had prophesied. The Jews considered themselves to be the “privileged people of God,” and this offer of salvation to the Gentiles literally sickened them to the point of hatred.

Consider the three things Paul listed of the Gentiles that irked the Jews:

1. The Gentiles were “those who are not a nation.” This is not to say that the Gentiles were not organized into nations, but rather that the Gentiles were not a special people in the sight of God, as were the Jews. God had worked exclusively among and through the Jews for thousands of years, from Abraham to the time of Christ, and now, if Christianity was true, “their privileged position was being taken away and these ‘no-people’ were replacing them.” (Boice)

2. The Gentiles were “those who have no understanding.” And this certainly was true. The Gentiles, for all their vaunted philosophy and secular learning, were just ignorant pagans spiritually. They understood nothing of true God, they did not have His law, and they did not know His ways. Instead, their ways ran to gross pagan vice and depravity. Paul described the Jews accurately in Romans 2:17-18, “Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God, And knowest his will, and approvest the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law.” What an offense for the gospel to be given to these ignorant Gentiles.

3. The Gentiles were “those who did not seek God.” The Jews whole being, as a nation and individually, was to seek God. They did this by trying to obey His law and keep His ordinances. The Gentiles did none of this, they were to busy having “fun.” But the Gentiles were finding God, in spite of themselves. You don’t have to have much of an imagination to realize just how much this offended the Jews. When the Jews heard Paul or the other Apostles preach, they became jealous, angry, and offended. “Pilate they abhorred, but they could live with Pilate. They could endure the Roman occupation, just as they could endure their own corrupt and cynical politicians. But they could not endure Christianity. Paul was quite right in saying that their anger toward the Gentiles showed that they understood the nature of the gospel very well.” (Boice)

Adapted from “Romans” by Boice.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

There is none so sad as those who will not hear...

Thanks Dan!

[​IMG] §ue

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    HAving grown up Jewish, I guarantee the disdain for goyim (gentiles) is still prevalent and dislike of seeing ANY one blessed or get ahead other than a Jew is common.

Sad. Blind. But so was I until God . . . [​IMG]

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Thursday, January 29, 2004

God's Fruit of Peace(Part 2)

We've been talking about the manifestation of the Spirit's fruit of Peace in our lives!!! And when we say that God's fruit is being "worked out" through us we are saying, "We are practicing the presence of Jesus!!" Micah 5:5 says, "And this man shall be the peace . . ."

Hebrews 12:14 says that we are to make every effort to live in PEACE with all men!

I. PEACE IS TO BE SOUGHT IN OUR FAMILIES

The third chapter of Colossians deals with domestic issues and the #1 issue is peace among ourselves.

Notice Colossians 3:15

Friend, the same PEACE that ruled over that Galalean storm is the same PEACE that should rule over the hearts of the home!!! Dad and Mom are to rule with PEACE over the home!!

Have you ever noticed---those who are truly saved and obeying the Holy Spirit are the ones who make themselves into Peace Makers!!

II. PEACE IS TO BE SOUGHT IN THE CHURCH

Notice Ephesians 4:3

Sure, friend! There will be those disagreements from time to time!! Type A personalities mixing with Type B, C, & D's??? You bet there'll be disagreements!!! Whether you're Baptist, Methodist, Assembly or whatever!!! I believe if you say, "Well, Brother David!! We never disagree in OUR church!"---I have reason to believe you're liein'!!!----BUT----in those disagreements---we ought to do our best---not to step out of the bounds of peace!

III. PEACE IS TO BE SOUGHT WORLD-WIDE

Psalm 122:6 says, "Pray for the peace of Jerusalem."

Jerusalem was the capital city of Israel. It was the "hub" of all Jewish spirituality! It just began there and "fanned out" throughtout the known "uttermost parts of the earth!" In all likely-hood, if it was "happenin'"---it was going to "happen" first in Jerusalem!! If Jerusalem was "at peace"---in all likely-hood, the rest of the world was at peace!!! That city was the spiritual "therometer" and "thermostat" of the world!!! Peace in Jerusalem---spelled peace where you lived!!!

Friend!!! Today!!! Where there's PEACE in your HEART---there's PEACE where you live---with your wife, children, neighbor, co-worker, boss, and friends!!! Let Jesus be your PEACE---and allow HIM to produce this fruit of peace in and through you today!!!

5. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

The peace that passeth all understanding comes from no one but Jesus....all the rest is fleeting.

Thanks Bro. David!

6. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

When the Prince of Peace sets up His throne in Jerusalem - there will be peace.

Thank you David!

Dan

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Dan---like a nutt, thats the part that I left out---I usually do leave something out that later on I say, "I needed to say that!!"

When we are praying for the peace of Jerusalem--we are in a sense praying for the return of the Lord Jesus Christ!!! So we say, "Even so, Come! Lord Jesus!"

Blackbird

8. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

January 30

Romans 10:18-20, “But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world. But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you. But Esaias is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me.”

Many people today understand the gospel, and they oppose it for exactly the same reason that the Jews opposed the gospel. Boice writes, “Why do people hate Christianity? Why do they find themselves unable to be utterly indifferent to it? It is because of grace. Grace means that God saves the undeserving. Grace saves ‘nobodies,’ those who are ‘no people’ in the judgment of those who are important. Grace saves the ignorant. Grace saves those who are not even seeking God, reaching out to confront them in their lost state and turn them from what is destroying them to the glories of salvation through Jesus Christ.”

And do you know that the unsaved (natural) man hates that. They want God to take notice of who they are, they want Him to take notice of their superior and advanced intelligence, if only He would at least give them credit for trying! If God would condescend to the world, if He would only take notice of lost man and what that lost man is trying to do for God, then they would welcome the gospel, in fact they would welcome it enthusiastically. But God insists that lost humanity come to Him on His terms. God insists that we see and accept ourselves as He sees us, Romans 3:10-12, “As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.”

What is man’s problem? It certainly isn’t that they have not heard the gospel - because they have - “their sound (voice) went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.” It certainly isn’t that they have not understood the gospel - they have understood it, and they are angry: at those who have received it; and at God Who refuses to play by man’s rules and take note of his accomplishments.

What is man’s problem” It certainly isn’t that they have misunderstood grace! Man’s problem is that he has rejected God’s grace. “It is because [man] will not bow [their] stiff, disobedient, and obstinate necks to God’s gospel.” (Boice)

But there are some who do accept the gospel. Some are like Paul, who was a stiff-necked, self-righteous, angry Pharisee, who tried to stamp out Christianity. But God reached down to him in his sin, showed him how hard he was and how desperately he needed a Savior. And Paul abandoned his self-righteousness and came to God through Christ, on God’s terms, not man’s terms, and he was gloriously saved. “His letter to the Romans is a lasting testimony to his transformation.” (Boice)

There are many others, who are “no-people,” who have no special spiritual understanding (privilege - such as the Jews had), people who were not seeking God, people like you and me, who have found God. And why did we find God? For the same reason the Apostle Paul found God, GRACE! “It is because God was pleased to save us. There is no other reason. God has chosen ‘the foolish things of the world to shame the wise...the weak things of the world to shame the strong...the lowly things of this world and the despised things – and the things that are not – to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before Him’ (1 Corinthians 1:27-29).” (Boice)

Stop making excuses and stop your boasting. In fact, forget your excuses, and flee to Christ, the One who loved you and died for you, and be saved!

Adapted from “Romans” by Boice.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't find God's grace; it found me! PTL!

10. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Who is this who darkens counsel By words without knowledge? Now prepare yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer Me.
    Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding.
    Who determined its measurements?
    Surely you know!
    Or who stretched the line upon it?
    To what were its foundations fastened?
    Or who laid its cornerstone, When the morning stars sang together,
    And the sons of God shouted for joy?
    Job 38:2-7

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Thanks, Brother Dan!!! Grace saves the "nobodies" of this world!!! God finds "Nobodies" in Sycamore trees!!! God finds "nobodies" coming to him "by night!" God finds "nobodies" perched by Jacob's Well in the "hot" of the day!!!

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Saturday, January 31, 2004

The Spirit's Fruit--Long Suffering(Patience)

Now, HERE'S a good fruit for your basket!!!

John MacAuthor gives two definitions for this particular fruit

(1) Having to do with tolerance and longsuffering that can endure injuries inflicted by others

(2) The calm willingness to accept situations that are irritating or painful.

Its funny how patience(long suffering) is a fruit that many Believers are most likely wishing to avoid! Oh, we say we pray for it("Lord, Give me patience to . . .!"---but really, the carnal mind doesn't want God to answer that request!

Long suffering is one of the most talked about characters of God!

Psalm 86:15 says that God is "long suffering" and "slow to anger"

2Peter 3:9 says that God is long suffering and He keeps the door of grace extended open!!!

Several areas of our lives that Believers are to practice this fruit!

Examine Colossians 3:12-13(then let it examine you)

WE ARE TO SHOW LONG SUFFERING TOWARD OUR SPOUSE

Its funny how the line of patience is worn thin between a husband and wife!!! We have folks who are ready to divorce "at the drop of a hat!" Ready to divorce over less than the least of what Moses permitted under the law!!!

When I got married---it was "personality clash!!!" I was a "Dump Truck" and she was a "Cadillac!" And we had to have patience with each other!!! Its taken years for me to learn---that I CAN at least drive a "clean" dump truck!! And that when I want to drive the "Caddy"---I can't do it with grease all over me!!!---Now, that's all an illustration of personality!!!!!! I don't really drive a dump truck---and she don't have a "Caddy"---but its a message of personality and personalities clash and to cushion the clash---patience is required!!!! Get it!!???

WE ARE TO SHOW LONG SUFFERING TOWARD CO-WORKERS

I can't begin to tell you how many believers quit their jobs over some boss or co-worker who seems to be intolerable!!

WE ARE TO SHOW LONG SUFFERING TOWARD FELLOW BELIEVERS

Fellow believers "in the pew" and "behind the pulpit!"

But you know what?? For many of us---when it seems that someone is intolerable at church---our patience has a short fuse! Someone out there is giving us a "bad time"---getting on our nerves---and we want to throw out the lifeline--extend long suffering---but too many times our "Patience" lifeline is the lifeline with the shortest rope!!! It becomes a whole lot easier to "move our letters" to another church--rather than practice patience toward somebody intolerable in the pew---or the preacher in the pulpit!!!

Let me give you a few verses of scripture that will help us along with this thing called patience!

James is full of scripture we are to obey!! Patience comes only through obedience!!!

James 1:3-4; 5:7,10 & 11

2Peter 1:6

Have a patient day!!

Brother David

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Great thoughts David, the Lord has been dealing with my (lack of) patience a lot lately.

Something that hit me this week that has really helped in that regard:

Psalm 18v32 - "It is God that gives me strength, and maketh my way PERFECT"

The way that God has put me on is a prefect way.

That led my thoughts to Hebrews 12 where we are told to run with PATEINCE the race that God has set before us, on the perfect course that He has laid out.

The today I read from Psalm 18v46 simple but incredibly profound. What confidence do I have as I patiently run the race on the perfect course that He has laid out? "THE LORD LIVETH!!"

The Lord Who laid out this perfect course for me and told me to run my race patiently is alive every step of the way! I can be patient because He is alive and with me.

14. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Thank you David!

To many of us pray - "Lord, give me patience - and give it to me RIGHT NOW!"

It's funny - but it's not funny!

Dan

PS - tomorrow is another "odd" day!

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Patience toward the wife? Now you've gone to meddling.

Let's move on quickly to another topic . . [​IMG]

16. Abdiel

Abdiel New Member

I always say, "Love, joy, peace, ....? What's the fourth one, again?"

It's a tragedy in my own life that this fruit has been so elusive. The lack of it makes me drive too fast, eat poorly, and treat others without the respect that they deserve.

While I realize that God has given abundantly to each of us who are washed in His blood all of the Fruit of the Spirit, I also know that the claiming of those fruit is a personal struggle for many, myself included.

Which one of us, really, LOVES others as we are commanded to do?

Which one of us experiences His JOY in life's hardest moments?

Can we really say that anxious thoughts never slow down and stop in our minds, so that we always have perfect PEACE?

Who among us can boast that PATIENCE is a 100% attribute for us 100% of the time?

While there are some ladies and gentlemen who show God's KINDNESS often, can anyone say that he/she knows someone who is ALWAYS kind in the drive-thru and in the bridge club?

I could go on ad absurdum, but it is enough to say that God's love and outpouring of gifts are not predicated upon our immediate mastery of those. (Thank you, Jesus!) Am I wrong in saying that He simply expects us to "strive toward that mark, the high calling of Christ Jesus" consistently, confessing and repenting when we fall short?

Can I find comfort in the saying, "I'm not where I want to be, but thank God I'm not where I used to be" or is that a convenient cop-out?

17. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Abdiel!!! No, I don't see what you said as a "cop-out!"---its not a cop out to admit weaknesses and committment to go forward---what's a cop out is a "compromise" and a heart that wants to pull a "Demas"---"having loved this present world!"

Your buddy,
    Blackbird

18. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Sunday, February 1, 2004

The Spirit's Fruit of Gentleness
    Galatians 5:22

Are you practicing this fruit?? Rather, are you allowing the Holy Spirit to practice this fruit through you???

John MacAuthor said this, "Kindness relates to tender concern for others. It has nothing to do with weakness or lack of conviction but is the genuine desire of a believer to treat others gently, just as the Lord treats him."

Have you ever noticed in the list of fruit--that long suffering and kindness are back to back?? Sometimes our long suffering(patience) can be tried---put to the test by the surroundings and circumstances the believer encounters! And depending on what we do with our patience--has everthing to do with what we do with our kindness!!

Jesus lived in a society that was basically unkind to Him!! Think about it!! Jesus greeted this world in the kindness of a baby--yet Herod sought to kill Him!

We live in the same unkind world today!! Oftentimes I hear folks say, "Well, if Jesus had'a lived in our society--we would treat him differently than they did then!!!" Oh, no! Its the same unkind world!!! We would treat Him no differently than the world back then!!!

But God says we are to engage this world in the kindness of the Lord Jesus Christ. Ephesians 4:32 says, "Be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another just as God through Jesus Christ has forgiven you."

Kindness relates to tender concern for others! Those folks in Jesus' day had 20/20 vision but it was Jesus who reached out to the blind!! Ole blind Bartameaus---I can just picture him---crouched down on that substandard roadway, hollerin' out like a despirate auctioneer!! Folks around were saying, "Shut ole Bart up!! Make him shut up!!---ooooohhhh, but it was Jesus who came along---full of kindness and compassion---and said, "Bring that future Son of Abraham to me!!!" I don't know about you---but I would rather have been in the shoes of ole "Bart" that day---and have Jesus give me both physical and spiritual sight---then to be one of the ones tryin' to shut him up!!! Wouldn't you???

It wouldn't surprise me none---for Jesus to be on His way to a wedding---and stop off at a funeral to offer words of kindness!!!

Kindness and gentleness!!! Doesn't mean anybody's gonna come along and "run you over!" Jesus never let anyone "run" Him over!! Rather He ran them over with kindness!! We are to be wise as serpents---we are to know whats going on around us---yet we are to respond with the gentleness of a dove!!

David Jeremiah writes, "We're living in an era that is forgetting what it means to be kind, and people get run over by other people in a hurry to meet their own goals. Especially children, who haven't learned to get out of the way. So kindness is rare today . . . and you know what happens when something becomes increasingly rare, don't you? It also becomes increasingly valued and treasured. A person of Spirit-filled kindness is a great treasure."

Have a good day!!

Brother David

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lessons on kindness from Bible characters would make an excellent study. Thanks for the good "prod" for the day.

20. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Amen - Blackbird!