1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coffee House Chapel #4

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dan Todd, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

April 26

Romans 11:11-12, “I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?”

The Jewish people were the avenue through which God chose to send the Messiah to a lost and dying world. Last devotional we saw that the Jews had stumbled, and that their stumbling led to the gospel being introduced to the Gentile world. This stumbling by the Jews does not mean that all the promises of God to Israel were forfeited by Israel. Paul clearly states this in verse 11 of our text when he answers his own question “Have they stumbled that they should fall?” with that strong negative that he uses - “God forbid” or “May it never be!” God’s promises to Israel will forever remain with Israel, and God’s promises to the church will forever remain with the church. These promises are not interchangeable.

The early church, the first Christians, were almost all Jews. On the Day of Pentecost, there were Jews from many different countries in Jerusalem, Acts 2:9-11, “Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.” Dr. Luke states that these who heard the message of Peter were “Jews and proselytes,” that is, natural born Jews, and Gentiles who had converted to Judaism. Acts 2:46 tells us that these new believers “continuing daily with one accord in the temple.”

As we study the early church, particularly the Gentile controversy over circumcision, we can safely assume that these Jewish believers would have “undoubtedly continued to observe the ceremonies, sabbaths, rites, feasts, and holy days of Israel.” (Boice) I think that we can also safely assume that this would have continued indefinitely had not the great persecution broken out against the church at Jerusalem. The result would have been Christianity becoming just a minority sect of traditional Judaism. The persecution is an example of God getting His people to do His bidding (the Great Commission) even when they are a rebellious people, or a people who have become complacent with the status quo. The church in Jerusalem was not a case of rebellion against God’s command, but rather the people were so happy with the great work that was going on in Jerusalem that they didn’t want to leave - and reach “Judaea, .... Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.” (Acts 1:8)

In Acts 4, Peter and John, and other leaders were brought before the Sanhedrin and threatened with harm if they continued preaching Jesus. In Acts 5, the apostles were arrested and flogged because they ignored the warning of Acts 4. In Acts 7, Stephan was killed, and the martyring of this believer triggered a general persecution. The result of this persecution was that believers got the “get up and go” that Christ had previously commanded them in Acts 1:8. Acts 8:1, “And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles.”

This scattering was the impetus that led Philip to Samaria, where he preached Christ, and many Samaritans believed (Acts 8:4-7). Later God sent him to Gaza where he led the Ethiopian eunuch to Christ (vers 26-39), who took the gospel back to Ethiopia. Philip ended up in the Gentile City of Caesarea, where he appears to have had a long and effective ministry (Acts 21:8).

The gospel came to the Gentiles. The first missionaries were Jewish Christians, who were finally doing what God had desired Israel to do all along, that is being “a light to the Gentiles” (Isaiah 49:6).

Adapted from “Romans” by Boice.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the reminder, and thanks to those "missionaries" for sharing the Gospel!!

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Tuesday, April 27, 2004

"The Test of Discipleship"

And along with this brief introduction to discipleship--we will peer into the life of the 12 Apostles of Jesus! Because I believe with all my heart---that not only do we see them living in the pages of the four gospels and beyond---but each one of us bears some characteristic of some of them!---in the physical realm, sometimes I hear my wife saying, "You act just like your dad!" Well, in the spiritual realm---sometimes I can see Peter's charactor---I look at the life of Peter and see "SIMON!!!! Thats me! I act just like that!!!"---sometimes I can see James and John----looking around me watching for "Thunderbolts from the Sky!!!" Sometimes I arrive late---like Thomas--and get robbed of a blessing!

But first---what is a disciple?? That's our focus on this devotion!

Webster defines the word, "Disciple" as "a pupil or an adherent of another." He/she is an "associate" of another!

I remember when my mother was undergoing major surgery. The Doctor came in with a "team" of doctors behind him and he introduced these others as his "Associates"---they were learning the "trade" of Therasic Surgery! They were his disciples--his associates!

But what about discipleship as it relates to the Biblical accounts of the Lord Jesus! Well, lets learn a few things as we go along---about Jesus and His Apostles---why He chose who He did and maybe we can begin to pick up some ideas on why He would want to value me and you---as well---just like He did them!

(1) Jesus wasn't the only one who had disciples

--John the Baptist had disciples! Notice Mark 2:18 and Luke 5:33 We will see that many of John's disciples became followers of Jesus!(More on this later!)

--The Pharasees had disciples! Notice Matthew 22:16! Some of these disciples were sent by the Pharasees to quiz Jesus hopeing to "entangle" Him in some sort of snare!

(2) Many of Jesus' disciples left Him! Notice John 6:66! As the way grew bleak---they left! And Jesus asked who were left--"Will you too, leave?"---but it was ole Simon Peter who said, "Lord! To whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life!"---IOW---Simon Peter was saying, "I like it right were I'm at!!"---this was some days before his little confrontation with that Rooster---remember that!

(3) Jesus had many disciples who were "secret" about it!

Read over in John 19:38

What we mean by secret is---there was no open proclaimation! No verbal or visable means of evidence to point us toward themselves as being disciples of Jesus!

Why, we ask, did these disciples remain silent? Well, to be frank---I don't know! Perhaps if He will---the Holy Spirit will shed some light on that for us as we go along in our study!

But here is our lesson for today! The question---what about you?? Are you a disciple of Jesus? Are you one of His followers? Are you an "associate" of His??

Another question! When your preacher preaches---are you prone to follow Jesus?? That's my aim as a preacher! To preach in such a way that folks will stop following me and start following Jesus!

When you "dive" into the word of God---do you look for Jesus?? I pray so! Today---if you would---allow Scripture to point you to Jesus, the Savor of us!

Last question! Maybe we can answer about the "secret" -ness of some of Jesus' disciples---by figuring out why we're so "secret" about it sometimes!! Maybe ole Joseph and Nicodemeus were "secret" for the same reasons we are sometimes!

4. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Thank you Blackbird!

5. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Great message Blackbird, thank you.

6. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

April 28

Romans 11:11-12, “I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?”

Israel rejected the Lord Jesus. Because of the rejection, the gospel was spread to the Gentile world. Today we look at the Apostle Paul. Paul (Saul) was headed to Damascus to arrest Christians when Christ got his attention. After Paul’s conversion, he ended up in Damascus, and might have stayed there, if the Jews there had not conspired to kill him. Acts 9:23-25, “And after that many days were fulfilled, the Jews took counsel to kill him: But their laying await was known of Saul. And they watched the gates day and night to kill him. Then the disciples took him by night, and let him down by the wall in a basket.” Paul then went to Jerusalem, where we see the beginning of a pattern that was to follow Paul for his entire missionary career. That pattern - preaching Jesus, first to the Jews (usually in a synagogue - until being rejected), then preaching to Gentiles, then being “driven” from the city by jealous Jews, and then going from city to city - preaching the gospel - following this same pattern.

At Pisidian Antioch - Acts 13:45-50, “But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy, and spake against those things which were spoken by Paul, contradicting and blaspheming. Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles. For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth. And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed. And the word of the Lord was published throughout all the region. But the Jews stirred up the devout and honourable women, and the chief men of the city, and raised persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them out of their coasts.” Driven from Pisidian Antioch, Paul went to Iconium.

At Iconium - Acts 14:2, 5, “But the unbelieving Jews stirred up the Gentiles, and made their minds evil affected against the brethren .... And when there was an assault made both of the Gentiles, and also of the Jews with their rulers, to use them despitefully, and to stone them,” Driven from Iconium, Paul went to Lystra.

At Lystra - Acts 14:19, “And there came thither certain Jews from Antioch and Iconium, who persuaded the people, and, having stoned Paul, drew him out of the city, supposing he had been dead.” Driven from Lystra, Paul went to Derbe.

At Thessalonica - Acts 17:5, “But the Jews which believed not, moved with envy, took unto them certain lewd fellows of the baser sort, and gathered a company, and set all the city on an uproar, and assaulted the house of Jason, and sought to bring them out to the people.” Thessalonica was on Paul’s second missionary journey. The trouble in Thessalonica sent him off to Berea.

At Berea - Acts 17:13, “But when the Jews of Thessalonica had knowledge that the word of God was preached of Paul at Berea, they came thither also, and stirred up the people.” The Christ rejecters at Berea caused trouble and Paul headed to Athens.

At Ephesus during Paul’s third missionary journey in Acts 19 there was a riot. Paul then traveled to Macedonia.

This recurring pattern led to the spread of the gospel elsewhere. Tertullian said, “The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church.” We should eternally thank God for missionaries like Paul who did not quit in the face of persecution, but went elsewhere to preach the gospel.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

7. Watchman

Watchman New Member

He came unto His own, and His own received Him not. Truly one of the great tradgedies in human history. "...how I would have longed to gather thee as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but ye would not."
    [​IMG]

8. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Thank you Dan,

Blessings

Sheila

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When we think of the pagan response to the Gospel (think Islam) today, that was the same hostile environment Paul faced.

It takes the Spirit of God working "overtime" to see souls saved.

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Thursday, April 29, 2004

"Identification of a Disciple"

We've begun a series on Jesus' Apostles---His "inner twelve"---His close company! The twelve disciples! Today I want us to look at some things that will help us to identify who a disciple of Jesus is---Lets look at Peter--ironically---around the "Courthouse Square" huddled around that fire---while Jesus was inside---Peter was outside---and the people around him begin to "put the pieces together" that put Peter with Jesus!

This is how they identified Peter as being a Disciple of Jesus---and the same way Peter was identified---you and I are identified as being "a disciple of Jesus!"

1. THEY IDENTIFIED PETER BY THE COMPANY HE KEPT

In John 18:25 they asked Peter, "Art thou also one of His disciples?" and then over in Matthew 26:69 they say, "Thou wast also with Jesus of Galilee."

Those maids and guards huddled around that fire with Peter---had seen him "somewhere down the line" with Jesus! They had seen Peter before associating with Jesus and some other disciples of Jesus!

Folks, listen! A disciple will COMPANY with those he loves best! I mean, if you are a disciple of Jesus---you're gonna love the people Jesus loves! You are going to associate with the same people Jesus associates with!

2. A DISCIPLE OF JESUS CAN BE IDENTIFIED BY HIS DAILY CONVERSATION

Matthew 26:73

The people around that fire with Peter---they heard Peter talking and probably in their minds they were thinking---"He sounds just like that man in there!! He sounds just like Jesus!"

Here was ole Peter---during the course of a few years time--as a disciple of Jesus---he had "Picked up" Heaven's accent! He had picked up Heaven's vocabulary!

In your conversation with others---do you talk as if you are already living in Heaven?? Generally---people are going to talk like the folks they associate with! If you associate with Jesus and the people of Jesus---pretty soon you're gonna be talking just like them!!

Colossians 4:6 says, "Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt."

Your speech/vocabulary ought to be such---that when people hear you talk--it'll give them a pretty good clue as to what Jesus sounds like!

Your company?? Who are you going to "company" with today?

Your conversation?? Seasoned with salt??

I pray so!!

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what I've seen in the versions forum, I'd say we have more PEPPER than SALT! [​IMG]

Thanks, BB

12. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Thank you Blackbird!

13. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

April 30

Paul presents four important points in these two verses. It is obvious that (1) Israel has rejected Jesus, and (2) that this rejection of Jesus (the Messiah) by Israel resulted in the gospel going to the Gentile world. Paul’s “third point is that the salvation of the Gentiles would lead in time to the ‘fullness’ of Israel, that is, to the salvation of Israel as a nation, and that this in turn would lead to even greater Gentile blessing.” (Boice) This has not yet happened, but it will.

Paul has clearly stated that God has not and will not permanently set Israel aside.

“Hath God cast away his people? God forbid.” (Rom 11:1)
    “God hath not cast away his people ... “ (Rom 11:2)

Yet many reformed theologians of our day reject the idea of a future blessing for Israel. In spite of the clear teaching of Romans 11, these theologians make the church the “new Israel” with the “old Israel” being forever superceded. Boice writes, “To their way of thinking, any future blessing of Israel as a nation must be a backward step, a regression in God’s plan. Spiritual realities in Christ have replaced the Jewish types that pointed to them.”

What do these theologians do with Romans 9-11? Paul is not speaking of a spiritual Israel (the church) in these chapters. He plainly is speaking about Israel as a nation. Paul asks the question - “Did they stumble so as to fall beyond recovery?” The answer is NO! – and an emphatic NO at that. Paul could not conceive of God casting off Israel. Now here is the heart of the situation - if God has cast off Israel permanently - that means that God has broken His covenant promise with the Nation of Israel - something that God cannot do and remain a truth-keeping, faithful God.

In closing I will quote from several reformed writers that believed Israel is Israel, and the Church is the Church, and that the two are not one and the same:

F. Godet - “It is almost inconceivable how our Reformers could have held out obstinately, as they have done, against a thought so clearly expressed ... When Israel shall see the promises of the Old Testament, which ascribe to the Messiah the conversion of the Gentiles to the God of Abraham, fulfilled throughout the whole world by Jesus Christ, and the Gentiles through His mediation loaded with the blessings which they themselves covet, they will be forced to own that Jesus is the Messiah.”

Charles Hodge - “Israel ... must mean the Jewish people, and all Israel the whole nation. The Jews, as a people are now rejected; as a people, they are to be restored.”

Robert Haldane - “The rejection is to continue till the fullness of the Gentiles shall come in. Then the people of Israel, as a body, shall be brought to faith of the Gospel.”

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let God be true and all (us) theologians be liars! :eek:

15. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thanks Dan.
    Now, before I say this, a disclaimer, I do not think that everyone who believes that Israel has no future in God's plan is a cultist. That said, I think that if you look at the doctrine of most all of these cults you see some common themes:
    The rejection of the doctine of the Trinity, the Divinity of Christ and a wholesale rejection of Israel and the Jewish people.
    Such is not the case with God.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Thanks Dan,

I think you points are well made. Appreciate it!

17. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Saturday, May 1, 2004

Called to Be An Apostle

We will continue our devotion on the twelve Apostles of the Lord Jesus Christ---in the days ahead we will look at each Apostle---their composition and character---what made them "tick! And we will discover that inside of each of us---our very own character and composition---is so like these---the word says that they were men of "like passion as we"---for instance, in my personal study of the Apostles' character--at times I see "Peter" in me(Not literally, but in character)---and then at times----I see a "Simon"---sometimes I see "Simon Peter"---kinda "see-sawin'" back and forth between living for self and living for the Savior! See?

Lets look today at a few verses that will show us Jesus' "call" on His Apostles.

Look at Matthew 10:1 The verse gives record of the call of Apostleship on the lives of the inner 12 disciples!

Now, before we go further---don't think in your mind that Jesus was calling a bunch of "dummies" that "don't know nothing" into His ministry! Lets look at the spiritual background of the ones Jesus was choosing!

John 1:35-37

A quick scan of these verse will show that many of the disciples Jesus had--were early followers of John the Baptist. Interesting thing is---one verse tells us that some of John's disciples heard John preach---and then began to follow Jesus!---folks, that stirred up my own preaching---I, too want to preach in such a way that my listeners will turn to follow Jesus!!

John 1:45

This verse will give us a clue that these men that Jesus chose---were well versed in their Bibles!---they knew scripture---they studied scripture---they searched scripture!!! And notice in their quest of search in verse 45---their search was with intent of finding someone in its pages!! Who might that someone have been??

Thats what I want to do in my Bible study! In my Bible study I want to find Jesus in the pages--in the chapters---in the verses! Thats the aim of Bible study----to see Jesus and obey Him!

Now--lets go back to Matthew 10:1 and the call of these disciples to Apostleship!

The word "called" in verse 1--look at it! The word comes from a combination of Greek words "Proskaleo" which means, "to call toward"--literally, "to call to oneself"

It carries the idea of a face to face calling so that one can receive a commission from another!

Notice the tie in from verse one to verse two now! In verse one---the twelve are referred to as "His twelve disciples"---but in verse 2 scripture refers to them again as the "twelve Apostles"

The Greek word for "disciple" is "mathetes" and means "learner"

The Greek word for "apostle" is "apostolos" and means "to be sent"

These men were called TO Jesus to GO for Jesus!

Verse 1 says that Jesus "called" His disciples---then verse 5 says that He "sent" them "forth"---thats us, there, too! Saved people are "called to" the Lord Jesus to "go forth" for the Lord Jesus!

But these twelve were disciples of Jesus---in which Jesus had many---who were later called into "Apostleship" for Jesus!

How did Jesus go about choosing that "inner" core?? Lets just look at a few things--

THEY WERE CHOSEN SOVEREIGNLY

Matthew 10:1 says, "And when He had called unto Him His twelve disciples" There's the call!

Mark 3:13 adds that He called to Himself those "whom He would."

John MacAuthor says that there wasn't an Executive search!

IOW---Jesus didn't take applications! He didn't take resumes!

Mark says that He chose "whom He would"---key word is "He" here! It was Jesus' decision! There was no "outside influence" involved! No one approached Jesus to say, "You know, Jesus! If I were you I would choose So and So!" or "Jesus! I believe that So and So would make a good Apostle!"

Rather---the Mind of Omniscience chose to choose!

THEY WERE CHOSEN PRAYERFULLY

Luke 6:12-13 says that Jesus bathed the matter in prayer! This choosing wasn't done haphazardly or in a hasty way---time was spent calling Heaven to be a witness to what Jesus was doing on Earth!

They were chosen soverignly!

They were chosen prayerfully!

Jesus prayed and "got Heaven's Throne" in on His decision(so to speak)---I wonder---when we're faced with decisions---major and minor ones---do we choose to "get Heaven's Throne" in on it?? Do we turn the matter over to Sovereignty!!??

These twelve Apostles---were "Rookey" Apostles---it was the beginning of a 3 1/2 year journey! But by the end of that journey---there would be 11 Apostles who would go on to shake the known world!! Unfortunetly---there would be one that wound up being "shook" by the world!! But which are you?? Are you a "world shaker" or does the world "shake" you??

18. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

May 2

Today we will do a bit of soul searching. Our text presents us with four points, the first three we have previously considered: (1) Israel has rejected Christ, (2) their rejection resulted in an extension of blessings to the Gentiles, and (3) the nation of Israel will yet be saved. Paul’s fourth point gives us the mechanism by which point three will take place - Israel will be provoked to jealousy because of the blessings God has bestowed upon the Gentiles. This obviously has not yet taken place, so where to you suppose the fault lies for this? I suppose we could slip into the hyper side of Calvinistic thought and blame God and say He has not yet seen fit to use the Gentiles to provoke Israel to jealousy! The fault does not lie with God, the fault lies with Gentile Christians. For the most part, Gentile Christians of the western world have done little to provoke anyone to jealousy for what we possess in Jesus Christ, let alone to provoke Israel to jealousy.

Jews have good cause to suspect the “Christian” world. In the name of “Christianity” the crusades of the middle ages persecuted the Jews. Much of Christendom stood idly by while Stalin and Hitler slaughtered millions of Jews during the first half of the twentieth century. Before you protest to loudly, remember the Britain fought the second world war because they were attacked by Hitler’s armed forces, not because they wished to protect the oppressed Jew. America is guilty of the same as we steadfastly and foolishly tried to distance ourselves from the battle until December 7, 1941, when we were drawn into the war because we were attacked. But wars started by non-Christians aside, how do we as Christians act towards the Jew. Do we love them through Jesus or do we tend to blame them for many of the ills of society (especially financial ills) that we perceive are caused by them. For the most part, if I am being honest, there is nothing we Gentile Christians have done to show the Jews that what we have in Jesus Christ is worth having.

When the unbelieving Jew stands before the “Great White Throne” they will have to answer for their unbelief. In the face of the evidence of their own Scriptures (the Old Testament) - they will have to answer why they willingly did not see and recognize their Messiah when He came to this earth. Their real blindness to God’s revealed truth is only exacerbated by their willing blindness as they go to incredible lengths to deny the clear teaching of God’s Word.

But the Christian’s sin is equal to or even greater than the Jew’s sin of unbelief. I say that because we know the gospel. We have the power of the Holy Spirit dwelling within us - to live like Jesus Christ and show His love to all perishing Jews and Gentiles alike. “But instead of showing love to Jews, most Gentiles (even many genuine Christians) have shown the Jews prejudice and hatred.” (Boice) Leon Morris writes, “Instead of showing to God’s ancient people the attractiveness of the Christian way, Christians have characteristically treated the Jews with hatred, prejudice, persecution, malice, and all uncharitableness.” Morris then adds what is surely a major understatement, “Christians should not take this passage calmly.”

(Note: though I strongly believe in God’s sovereignty - and do not question it - I do not “blame” God for man’s sin and rebellion! And though God will provoke Israel to jealousy when He sees fit to do so - Gentile Christians will have much to answer for when standing at the Bema Judgement for their unwillingness to be the provokers to jealousy that God intends us to be. It almost seems that we are getting even with the Jew for not being the light that God intended them to be to the Gentile, by not being the light God intends us to be to them.)

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a sinner by nature and because of that, I sin. No better or no worse.

And deserving of hell. Willingly.

THANK GOD for His amazing grace! [​IMG]

20. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thank you Dan.
    No, I do not know of any jealous Jews.
    I feel that a big problem with them is the fact that they could not associate their Messiah and the suffering One mentioned in Psalm 22, Isaiah 53, and elsewhere, as being one and the same person. A classic example is given in John 12:34:
    "The people answered Him, 'We have heard out of the law that the Christ remains forever; and how can you say, 'The Son of Man must be lifted up', who is this Son of Man?'"
    What they "heard" out of the law was what they wanted to hear. Their Messiah is to be a great leader, conquerer; but Christians fallow this Jesus of Nazareth, Who was crucified.
    All they cared about then was the Roman problem (and, perhaps today the Arab-Palestinian problem), not the sin problem.