1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coffee House Chapel #4

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dan Todd, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, and the ORDER of the "finding" is important, since we cannot find Jesus without Him first finding us.

Thanks!

2. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Thank you Blackbird,

God Bless

Sheila

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I'm not such a bad guy, am I!!!

4. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Blackbird - to answer your question - No!

May 18

Romans 11:13-15, “ For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office: If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them. For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?”

Israel ceased to be a nation in the first century A.D. From about 70 A.D. until 1948 there was no nation of Israel, no homeland for the Jews that they could call their own. In 1948, Israel once again became an entity. 1948 ushered in an era that may be the beginning of events leading to the restoration (resurrection) of the Jewish people.

There are at least three ways that the phrase “...life from the dead” can be taken:

1. A figurative expression. Charles Hodge regards the phrase in this manner. He writes, “The most common and natural interpretation is that which considers the later clause [‘life from the dead’] as merely a figurative expression of a joyful and desirable event.” But though it would be true, that the conversion of Israel would result in additional blessing for the Gentiles, the phrase “is such a powerful phrase that it is hard to believe that is does not suggest a great deal more than this.” (Boice)

2. The final resurrection. Many ancient and modern commentators believe the phrase refers to the final resurrection. Their reasoning is that only the resurrection of the dead can be the climactic event of world history. The resurrection and the final judgment are indeed the climax of history. But the context of “life from the dead” in Romans 9-11 is within history, not the termination of history. “Leon Morris notes the ‘life from the dead’ nowhere else refers to the resurrection, and the closest equivalent phrase (‘alive from the dead,’ Romans 6:13, Greek text) refers not to the resurrection, but to the spiritual life of Christians through their mystical union with Jesus Christ.

Later in Romans 11 Paul uses the illustration of the olive tree. The original branches (the Jews) are broken off, wild branches (Gentile believers) are grafted in, with the eventual regrafting of the Jewish people back into the tree. Boice notes that all three occurrences are on the same plane. “Since the first two are within history, the last should be also.”

3. The spiritual regeneration of Israel. If Israel is to believe on Jesus as their Messiah, they must be spiritually regenerated.

Why did the Jews reject Jesus? They were a stiff-necked and stubborn people - but so are many Gentiles. The ultimate reason for their rejection of the Messiah was because they were dead in their sins. Paul made the following comment of all people who are yet without Christ: Romans 3:10-11, “As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.” In Ephesians 2:1, Paul made another strong statement regarding the lost, “And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins.” “Paul means that apart from a spiritual resurrection, which Jesus called being ‘born again,’ no one is able to be good, understand spiritual things, or seek God. On the contrary, we run away from Him and make substitute gods to take the true God’s place.” (Boice)

Adapted from “Romans” by Boice.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

5. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thanks Dan.
    Why did the Jews reject Jesus?
    or:
    "And who will declare His generation?"
    Is. 53:8b
    A good question. Perhaps a large stack of books could be written on this.
    In the Bible we see three times (twice in the past, and once yet future) where man was afforded such great opportunity to see God's power and majesty, and yet, well, consider the results.

In the past: When God delivered Israel out of bondage in Egypt with great signs and wonders. The result? The large part were a bunch of complainers, who turned to idolatry the first chance they had.

The ones we are speaking of here. Jesus did great signs and wonders among them and yet...

Then there are those, yet future: After the 1000 year reign of Christ, who have experienced perfect conditions under Him. When the devil is loosed, who do they go after?

I think Dan it boils down to, "Not YOUR will, but OUR will be done." They get what they want! But the way the seemeth right to man leads to death.

6. following-Him

Thank you Dan,

Blessings

Sheila

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Thanks to Dan and Blackbird (not such a bad guy) for some excellent thoughts over the last couple of days!

8. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Lay the butter and cream on those biscuits, boys and girls!!

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

"The Less"

I read a quote not long ago from an old English preacher named Henry Drummond---quoted from the West End Club in London---

"Ladies and Gentleman, the entrance fee into the Kingdom of Heaven is nothing, but the annual subscription is everything."

We've seen several disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ---called into Apostleship---willing to give everything up---their positions in society, their professions, their personal lives, their property---and then go to the ultimate sacrifice of following the Lord Jesus----but----to whom else would they go?? Only Jesus Christ had the words of Eternal Life---that they chose to pursue!

We've looked at several Apostles who went on to be famous for the Kingdom's sake! But today we want to shift our focus upon several Apostles who never made it to the Lime Light! But in spite of them never making it to the Lime Light---they still made that same committment to forsake all in their pursuit of God in flesh!

We want to focus attention on a small group that, too, crossed over the line in total obedience to their Lord and Master, Jesus Christ!

A group that was taught just as much as Peter, James, and John! A group who sat in the same classroom and heard the same sermon and who did the same miracles---for this group of "Lesser Known" apostles---there's a throne waiting for them, also! They'll reign with Jesus in the coming Millennium! Amen??

Lets look for a minute at the Apostle named

James, the son of Alphaeus

Better known as "James, the less"

Matthew 15:40 starts us off in our search for the "Less"----"There were also women looking on afar off: among whom was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the less, and of Joses, and Salome."---notice in this text that it was his momma who was named---it says simply that his momma was at the cross---"the Less" himself is not in the scriptural "Lime Light" is he??

He's named also in Matthew 10's list of Apostles called----but my point is---not much else is said in scripture about him!

You know---I find it strange sometimes---I can conduct funerals sometimes---of people who have served in the church's "Lime Light"---and can recite memory after memory of things they have done and said in that "Lime Light"----and then the very next week---I can conduct a funeral maybe---of some person who is not as well known as the other the week before!! Not much can be said about what they said or did!

Same way here with "The Less"----not much is said in scripture about him---what he said or did---its like the Holy Spirit's Spotlight was focused on the others like Peter, James, and John! Like a stage play where the spotlight is on the star of the stage----but yet---the Cast is there--you just can't see them for the predominate position the Spotlight cast upon the main actor!

But he was called James, the Less!

Some theologians believe that James was called "the Less" to distinquish him from that Son of Thunder also called James!

But if we look at the phrase--"the Less" we can see the name in Greek is "Mikros"(where we get our word, Micro)---literally means---"Little"

This word coined here for James---could point to the idea that this James was small in statue! Like ole Zaccheus climbing up that tree to see Jesus passing by!

Still, some scolars point out that "the Less" is in reference to his age----because the Greek "Mikros" can also point to a "youth" or a "young person"

It could have been that this James(the less) was younger than that James, Son of Thunder!

John MacAuthor points to another reference to James having "little" influence----just not much there to build upon----he was "Out" of the spotlight in comparison to the other James---"Son of Thunder"

I mean, if you think about it---who would have the most impressive resume'? The company's CEO or the company's Janitor?? Who would you rather eat lunch with?? The boss?? Or the boss' bell hop??

Here's the point of James, the Less!

Not much recorded of him--of what he said--of what he did---or where he went! But yet he was still part of the Twelve! He was just as much an Apostle as John and Peter and Andrew!

As an Apostle---it would be safe to assume---you reckon---that James, the Less made just as much an impact on his world around him as ole Peter did---its just that the "Less" didn't have his words or works recorded for us in Scripture! The Holy Spirit's spotlight didn't shine on him---but yet he's there on the stage!! Folks can't see him---but beyond the reach of the spotlight---the Less had a job to do and did it!

I'm gonna guess---by his nickname "the Less" that:

very few people chose to "hang around" him!!

Its almost like the WW2 Press Corps! They went around chaseing ole Ike and Monty! They were there when Patton "slapped" that Enlisted man! The Corps printed and pictured Ike, Monty, Patton, and Bradley in the Limelight---the "Einstein's" of the Allied Military---tanks literally "rolled" only at Patton's "Say so!"---and it was a continual "Say so!"---Patton would say----"Don't stop till you get to LeMans! Then when you get there---keep going!" and the tankers did what he said!

But---I've learned through reading WW2 history that: it was the unnoticed Private, Corporal, and Sargeants ----- never in the spotlight--- never influenced a "Division" of armored vehicles---but nonetheless---those unnoticed, unlimelighted soldiers were the ones who sparked the man next to them to somehow keep going!

I figure---the majority of Christians---as a person in themselves---will never be in "The Limelight!"----I'll probably always be one of the "lesses!"---but as a "Less" I can spark somebody to do more---to go one more step---to say one more thing---for the cause of Christ!

So---as a "Less" I want to encourage the soldier in the foxhole next to me----lets hang in there! We're headed home! We're gonna take that ridge over there before we go, though! You ready?? Sarge says, "Go!"----"Lets go!!!"

9. following-Him

Thank you Blackbird,

God Bless

Sheila

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Amen, from one who certainly can identify as Roger the Less!

11. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Great thoughts for those of us who work in the trenches - thank you Blackbird!

12. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

May 20

Romans 11:13-15, “ For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office: If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them. For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?”

Paul the Apostle was called by God to be the Apostle to the Gentiles. But Paul had a deep desire to see those “which are my flesh” also come to Christ - “but life from the dead!” God may have called you and me to particular ministries, but we should always desire our families to come to Christ.

Last time we spoke of spiritual resurrection. There is no salvation apart from what Jesus Christ did for us on the cross. Why do we need Christ - because none of us are good enough, none of us understands spiritual things, and none of us seek after God. Now before any of you argue with me over this - remember that it is not Dan Todd saying this on his own - this is God the Holy Spirit saying this - Romans 3:10-11, “There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.” Friends, God is in the resurrection business - and from time to time we see someone respond to the call of God. When they respond - they are spiritually resurrected.

Remember old Lazarus and what he went through in John 11. Lazarus was sick - bad sick - he was a fixin’ to die! Sisters Mary and Martha called for Jesus, and Jesus went to them - but He waited four days! When Jesus arrived in Bethany, He first talked to the sisters. He told Martha, “I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die” (John 11:25-26). Jesus had healed the sick, caused the lame to walk, the deaf to hear, and the blind to see. But Jesus was about to show that He had power over the worst of enemies - DEATH!

Remember at the tomb - Jesus told them to remove the stone - and Martha protested! “Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days” (John 11:39). Four day dead - and no embalmers skills to preserve the body. You know Lazarus was smelling real bad. (Worst smell I ever smelled was the rendering truck going by on a 90º day - bad - BAD!) And Lazarus was smelling real bad!

But Jesus reminded Martha that she would “see the glory of God.” Jesus prayed, “I thank thee that thou hast heard me. And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me” (John 11:41-42). What a prayer - I call it a sermon in a prayer. Then Jesus said - “Lazarus, come forth” (verse 43). And out Lazarus came. Friends - when Jesus calls you - you will answer. When I was dead in my trespasses and sins - and Jesus called me - I answered. Like Lazarus - I had no other choice.

When Jesus raised Lazarus from physical death - He showed us a picture of what it is like to be raised spiritually. He also showed what will come in the future when He raises Israel back to life - spiritual life. If Israel’s death meant the gospel, salvation, and blessing of God went to the Gentiles, how much more blessing will come to the Gentiles when Israel is finally resurrected from their spiritual death. It’s called the millennium - 1,000 years of peace - with the Prince of Peace reigning over all - as King of kings and Lord of lords. Lord hasten that day.

Adapted from “Romans” by Boice.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

Aaron and Roberta Wilburn penned the following song, the words of which I trust will bless your heart!

Four Days Late

The news came to Jesus, “Please, come fast,
    Laz’rus is sick, and without Your help he will not last.”
    Mary and Martha watched their brother die.
    They waited for Jesus, He did not come and they wondered why.

The death watch was over, buried four days.
    Somebody said, “He’ll soon be here, the Lord’s on His way.”
    Martha ran to Him, and then she cried,
    “Lord if You had been here, You could have healed him, he’d still be alive.”

“But You’re four days late and all hope is gone.
    Lord, we don’t understand why You’ve waited so long.”
    But His way is God’s way, not yours or mine.
    And isn’t it great when He’s four days late, He’s still on time.

Jesus said, “Martha, show Me the grave.”
    But she said, “Lord, You don’t understand, He’s been there four days.”
    The grave stone was rolled back, then Jesus cried,
    “Laz’rus come forth.” Then somebody said, “He’s alive, he’s alive! He’s alive, he’s alive!”

You may be fighting a battle of fear.
    You’ve cried to the Lord, “I need You now,” but He has not appeared.
    Friend, don’t be discouraged, ‘cause He’s still the same.
    He’ll soon be here, He’ll roll back the stone and He’ll call out your name.

When He’s four days late and all hope is gone.
    Lord, we don’t understand why You’ve waited so long.
    But His way is God’s way, not yours or mine.
    And isn’t it great when He’s four days late, He’s still on time.

13. following-Him

Amen.

Thank you Dan.

God Bless

Sheila

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Great message Dan, thanks

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen and Amen. Looking forward to that day! [​IMG]

16. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Amen, Thanks Dan.

17. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Friday, May 21, 2004

"Lebbaeus---surnamed Thaddaeus"

His name is found "sandwiched" between the other Apostles' names in Matthew 10:3! But if you scan and study the references in Luke 6:16 & Acts 1: 13 it is believed that this "Lebbaeus" is also known as Judas, the son of James. And again, in John 14: 21---referenced to Judas with a note from the Holy Spirit--"not Iscariot."

Now, the name "Judas" means "Jehovah leads"

The name "Lebbaeus" means "Man of heart"

The name "Thaddeaus" means "One that praises"

Back in Bible days, dads and moms would sometimes name their babies with hope and ambition that that baby would "live up to its name!"

There's only one spotlighted reference found in John 14: 22 that shows how Lebbaeus was living up to his name! Lets look at it--

"Judas saith unto Him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest Thyself unto us, and not unto the world?"

He had a question for the Lord Jesus that still has significance for us living today---why us and not to the whole world, too?"

Judas Thaddaeus' question was, "Lord, you've manifested your Godship to us---why don't you just go ahead and show the world who you are---like you showed us??"

It seems in verse 22 that this Judas wanted Jesus to show His brightness to all the world---all at once---all at one time---right then and there!

"Lets not waste no time, Jesus! Go ahead and show the world what you've showed us! Why can't 'cha??"

Folks, I believe He could have done that! He could have showed the world His glory---right then and there!

He could have done it way back in Exodus! When Moses marched in to Pharoah's office and said, "The Lord said, Let My people go!" And Pharoah replied, "Who is the Lord?"-----all in one motion God could've just invaded that office like He did that bush---but He didn't!

When Jesus stood before ole Pilate and Pilate asked, "What is Truth?"----all in one motion, Jesus could have turned Himself "inside out" and manifested His glory in that meeting place! But He didn't! God remained--for Pilate's sake--Shrouded by flesh!!

Ole Thad---was asking, "Why don't you manifest Yourself to the world---like You did to us?"

Here's the question

Who does God choose to manifest His glory to?

Look at verse 23---here's Jesus' response---here's who Jesus chooses to manifest His glory to---notice

vs. 23, "Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love Me, he will keep My words, and My Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him."

God comes in and sets up "Burning Bushes" inside of people who

(1) love Him

Do you love Jesus today? With all your heart? With all your soul? With all your strength? More than anything else? More than your own self?

and who

(2) keep His commands(words)

Do you--as the Psalmist wrote---"Hide His words in your heart?" Do you guard His word inside you as if it were more valuable than that stuff found in Fort Knox??

Glory resides inside those who love Him and who keep His word----if revealed to anyone who treasures it less than that----they can't live--they wouldn't be able to "take it!"

Tell Jesus today that you love Him! "Lord Jesus! I love you!"

Tell Jesus today that you will keep His word! "Lord Jesus! Your word is hiding in my heart!

We mentioned the meanings of ole "Tad's" name

Judas--Jehovah leads!

Lebbeaus--Man of heart!

Thaddeaus---one that praises!

Are you a man/woman who praises from the heart the God who leads??

Is your name Judas Lebbeaus Thaddeaus??

18. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

Thank you Blackbird!

19. following-Him

Thank you Blackbird,

God Bless

Sheila

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Amen Bro David and Happy Birthday!