1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coffee House Chapel #5

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Dan Todd, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thank you Dan for a reminder of God's faithfulness. God help us to be faithful to God!

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Friday, September 3

God's Faithfulness?? That's right! The word from the Word declares that God is faithful! And we even sing a song---one of my favorites

Great is Thy faithfulness/Oh, God my Father
    There is no shadow of turning with Thee
    Thou changest not/Thy compassions they fail not
    As Thou hast been/Thou forever will be

Aren't you glad that God "changest not???!!" Why, if God were to change----if He were to change---if----

Malachi 3:6 tells us what would happen if God changed! "For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed."

Aren't you glad that God isn't gonna change His mind about His method of salvation??

You'll never have to rise out of bed to discover God sayin', "You know! I don't like My plan of salvation! I do believe I'll change it!" Aren't you glad that the Father was "pleased" with His Son?? Aren't you glad that it "Pleased" Him to put Him to shame?? Aren't you glad that God's method of salvation will never change??? Can you give glory to God for that today!!!!

Aren't you glad that God isn't going to change His mind about your Eternal Security?? I mean, when you get out of bed today---you're gonna be just as saved(if you are saved) today as you were yesterday!!! Aren't you glad God isn't gonna "renig??" Take His word back---something like, "I'm sorry but it just isn't worth keeping you saved! I take back My salvation!!"

The song says---"Thou changest not"

Malachi 3: 6 says, "For I am the Lord, I change not!" I hear folks say that God can do anything!!See??? But!!! There are some things that God cannot do!! He cannot change! He'll always be consistant and constant!

Hebrews 13:8 says, "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever."

If He changes---His word will have to change with His changing! And rather than do that---it would be easier for Him to just go ahead and have us consumed!!!

I'm just gonna stop right here and thank God for His "never changing-ness!" Amen??

3. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

September 4

Romans 11:28-29, “As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes. For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.”

In what ways is God faithful? Arthur W Pink suggests the following:

1. God is faithful in preserving His people.

2. God is faithful in disciplining His people. None of enjoy discipline. As children, most of us hated it when are parents used the rod of discipline to correct an aberrant behavior. As parents, we discipline our children in order to try and make them conform to the standards of behavior we desire to see in them. What is the ultimate goal for the believer? “To be conformed to the image of his Son” (Romans 8:29). God will do whatever it takes to conform us to Christ’s image. It may be instruction and encouragement, or it may be discipline. Hebrews 12:6, “For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.”

Harry Ironside wrote of an incident that happened early in his ministry. He had been preaching in Fresno, California, and he found himself completely out of money. He checked out of his hotel and left his suitcase at a drugstore. That evening, having not had supper, he settled himself under a tree on the lawn of the courthouse for the night. He thought on Philippians 4:19, “But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” Naturally he complainingly asked the following question, “Why doesn’t God do it, then? Why isn’t He faithful to His promise?”

As Ironside prayed that night, God brought to mind some things in which he had grown careless. In his meditation, God brought him to a spiritual awakening. God also provided for his physical needs. Old friends appeared to provide housing. The meetings went well and the people took up a collection that helped him get home.

Before he left Fresno, Ironside stopped by the Post Office where he found a letter from his father. His father wrote, “God spoke to me through Philippians 4:19 today. He has promised to supply all our need. Some day He may see I need a starving, and if He does, he will supply that.” Ironside then saw that God had been putting him through a time of adversity for discipline, to bring him closer to Himself.

Here is the way Arthur W. Pink sees it: “God ... is faithful in what He withholds, no less than in what He gives. He is faithful in sending sorrow as well as in giving joy. The faithfulness of God is a truth to be confessed by us not only when we are at ease, but also when we are smarting under the sharpest rebuke. Nor must this confession be merely of our mouths, but of our hearts also. When God smites us with the rod of chastisement, it is faithfulness which wields it. To acknowledge this means that we humble ourselves before him, own that we fully deserve His correction; and instead of murmuring, thank Him for it. God never afflicts without a reason.”

Adapted from “Romans” by Boice.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Sunday, September 5

"First Thing God Hears is You"

Psalm 5: 1-3

"Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my meditation. Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto Thee will I pray. My voice shalt Thou hear in the morning. O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up."

Many times here at church our Pianist and Organist will find themselves "rehearsing for Sunday" during the week. Since they both live close by the church---they'll come 4 or 5 times a week while noone is around and will "line up" with each other! IOW---they "fine tune" during the week for Sunday worship and praise!

I like that!! My Office/Study is right outside the Worship Center and I get to hear them rehearse---without intruding in on them! I just stay in the office and listen!

I wonder sometimes what it would have been like to hear Shepherd David rehearsing on that harp?? These Psalms are sometimes called the "Hebrew Hymnbook" and since Shepherd David wrote the vast majority of them I can't help but wonder what it sounded like when he put the music to the words!!!

What, I wonder, did David sound like on that Harp??

Last night I was at a church member's house----and I got to play a Bass Guitar for the first time!! Now, I've "fiddled" with a regular guitar some---but never have played a Bass! But it sounded good, Really!!

But have you ever thought about what David must have been thinking as he was inking these Psalms?? Here he was---chapter 5--verses 1-3! And I believe these verses were a committment from David as well as a request to God!!

David's committment to God---I believe with all my heart was---"Lord God Jehovah! Saviour of my soul! The very first voice You hear when I wake in the morning----will be mine! The first thing You hear in the morning will be me!"

I remember hearing the little praise "diddy" that the group Maranatha sang years ago! It was a little song to the words found here in Psalm 5: 1-3! When I cry out to the Lord each morning, first thing, its usually to the tune I remember them singing!

Morning time is a time of praise and worship! Today, let the Lord Jesus Christ know how much He is worth to you!! Sing Him a song like David did! You don't have to be good on a harp, or on a guitar---just in your own way----lift your voice to the Lord this morning! Make up your own tune to these words and then give yourself holy and wholy to Him!

"O Lord! In the morning will I direct my prayer unto Thee, and will look up!!!"

5. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Getting caught up here on the devotionals. Thanks
    gentlemen for the wise words from the Word.

6. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

September 6

Romans 11:28-29, “As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes. For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.”

In what ways is God faithful? Arthur W Pink suggests the following:

1. God is faithful in preserving His people.
    2. God is faithful in disciplining His people.

3. God is faithful in glorifying His people. This reminds me of God’s promise to His own in Romans 8:29-30, “For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.”

Paul’s theme in Romans 5-8 is glorification. Glorification is certain for those whom God justifies. Romans 8 ends with what has to be the strongest statement in the Bible regarding the security of the believer, “For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord” (vers 38-39). Romans 9-11 continues this theme, “for Paul’s entire discussion of God’s dealing with the Jews is to answer the objection that we cannot be sure of our final glorified state, since the Jews, who were once God’s chosen people, have been cast off.” (Boice)

But, Paul tells us, the Jews have not been cast off. God’s covenant, gifts, and calling of them are irrevocable. “So also in regard to His calling of us. Having been foreknown by God, predestined, called, and justified, we may know that we shall certainly be glorified as well.” (Boice)

Heraclitus said, “You can’t step into the same river twice.” That is true – but you can anchor your life in the faithfulness of God Almighty – and you can plant your feet on the Rock that nothing in heaven or on earth will ever shake. God is unchanging. He is exactly as He was to Abraham, Moses, David, and all others who have trusted Him in the past or will trust Him in the future. “You will not find Him withdrawing His gifts because of some failure in you, or repudiating His calling of you, once you have come to Jesus Christ.” (Boice)

“Unfaithfulness is one of the most outstanding sins of these evil days. In the business world, a man’s word is, with rare exceptions no longer his bond. In the social world, marital infidelity abounds on every hand; the sacred bonds of wedlock are broken with as little regard as discarding an old garment. In the ecclesiastical realm, thousands who have solemnly covenanted to preach the truth have no scruples about attacking and denying it. Nor can reader or writer claim complete immunity from this fearful sin. How many ways have we been unfaithful to Christ, and to the light and privileges which God has entrusted to us!”

“How refreshing, then, and how blessed, to lift our eyes above this scene of ruin, and behold One who is faithful, faithful in all things, at all times.” (Pink)

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    (Are you still in Romans 11, Dano? [​IMG] )

And agree, "how refreshing to lift our eyes and behold our Lord" [​IMG]

8. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thank You Dan. I read a post in here (somewhere) that God has divorced Israel. Where do people get these ideas?

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Tuesday, Sept. 7

I want to begin posting here a small series of studies I've titled "The Groom and His Bride" A series study on Revelation's description of the Lord Jesus Christ and His Church as seen in Revelation Chapters 1 & 2

First, by way of introduction to this series lets look at Revelation 1: 9

"I, John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ."

Obviously, Revelation's "Scribe" is none other that one of those "Son's of Thunder"---John, the son of Zebedee---one of Jesus' "Beloved" disciples!!

If you scan the four gospels you are able to pick up on John's life and times with the Lord Jesus! and I find it interesting that it was Salome, John's mother who had a "hankerin'" to see her two sons sit at choice seats in Jesus' Kingdom!! OOOOOHHHHH, but little did Salome know---the Kingdom came with a "Price Tag!"

What did Jesus say it'd cost??

Matthew 16:25, "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life for My sake shall find it."

God's Kingdom IS going to come! But it comes with a price tag!! You might want to say that John was on Patmos---"loseing his life"----but he was also on Patmos "finding his life"

What was John doing on Patmos?? Of course, Patmos was the "Alcatraz" of that day! A remote island in the Aegien Sea used as a Roman prison housing a hardened crimnal --- named John!!

Interestingly, history records that all of Jesus' Apostles(save Judas I.) suffered myrtardom at the hands of Christ rejectors---and I believe that John, here on Patmos, was no exception----he died(I believe) a Myrtar's death in "slow motion!"

Look back in verse 9 and lets see what John was doing on Patmos?? Why was he there?? What crime had he committed??

"I John, . . . was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ."

Basically, John was in prison for "doing everything right" and for "doing nothing wrong!" He was there because of persecution handed out by Emperior Domitian upon the followers of the Lord Jesus Christ! If there were a version of the FBI and CIA of Rome back then----then John would have been each department's "Most Wanted Criminal!!"

You know??? I wonder what it was like to be "wanted" for the cause of Christ?? I wonder what it was like back then to be "hunted" like a wild animal by Rome??

Reckon when they finally "pinned" John down that there was very much resistence?? Reckon he barracaded himself inside his little "Davidic Compound" until Rome came with the Battering Rams??

You know what I believe??? When Rome had finally "nailed" John and had him "pinned" to the wall---that John didn't struggle to get away!! He surrendered "Peaceably!"

I wonder what we'd do if we encountered Verse 9 in our day??

"I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God,and for the testimony of Jesus Christ."

Rehearse that verse---along with the months, weeks, days, hours, minutes, and seconds that led up to it---for your own self!

Remember that price tag for Jesus' Kingdom?? Remember how Salome wanted the Right and Left Chair in the Kingdom for her boys???----Well!!! Real quick, we see John---on Patmos---but look one more time at verse 9 where John says, "I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom . . ."

". . . and in the kingdom" The Kingdom has a price tag! For John---the price tag was Patmos! The Right and Left Chair in the Kingdom is for the bravist of Soul!!!!

10. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

September 8

Romans 11:30-32, “For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief: Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy. For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.”

There is a very important theme to our text, that being – we are all on equal footing before God. The preamble to the Constitution of the United States declares that “all ... are created equal.” Perhaps the founding fathers of my country should have stated that “all ... are created with equal opportunity,” but I’m not sure that that is entirely true either. But before God, all are truly equal. Now just what is this great equalizer that causes all of us to be equal in His sight? The answer is sin! The “awareness that all have sinned and that all stand in need of God’s mercy. Sin alone lowers everyone to the same needy level, so that mercy alone can lift us to the heights” (Boice)

In these verses, Paul reminds us of something he developed earlier in the text, namely that: (1) “the disobedience of Israel led to the showing of mercy to the Gentiles, and (2) the mercy shown to the Gentiles will in time lead to Israel’s blessing.” (Boice) Yet Paul does not repeat himself just to the sake of repetition, he adds something to the truth he previously taught. The added factor is mercy, God’s mercy towards sinners.

In Romans 9 we saw that God has mercy on whom He wills, and hardens whom He wants to harden (9:14-16, 18). In Romans 11 we see that God has mercy upon all. MacArthur writes, “Through the centuries, theologians have struggled with what is called theodicy, the explanation of God’s righteousness and omnipotence in the light of evil. No doubt almost every believer has at some time wondered about where evil came from and why God allowed it to enter His perfect world. Although God’s Word does not fully answer that question, Paul gives at least a partial explanation, declaring that ‘God has shut up all in disobedience that He might show mercy to all.’

“Disobedience (unbelief in the KJV) is from apeitheia, which has the basic meaning of being unpersuadable. It denotes intentional and obstinate refusal to believe, acknowledge, or obey. In his letter to Ephesus, Paul twice refers to unrepentant sinners as ‘sons of disobedience’ (Eph 2:2; 5:6).

“Man’s sin, manifested in his willful disobedience, provides a means for God to demonstrate the magnitude and graciousness of His mercy. Were there no disobedience, there would be no need for and there could be no expression of God’s mercy. To reveal Himself as merciful, He permitted sin. ‘He has shut up all’ – the whole world, Jew and Gentile – ‘in disobedience’ and unbelief in order that He ‘might show mercy to all’ who repent of their sin and turn to Him for gracious salvation.”

Adapted from “Romans” by Boice and MacArthur.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

Note: I received a snail letter from Blackbird today - and it appears that he will be offline until around Christmas time - with the exception of time spent in the local library. I again appeal to any who might wish to join in the writing of these devotionals. With my current schedule, I find it nearly impossible to devote the time needed to write daily - and will thus continue writing for the even days each month. Is there anyone who would like to join Blackbird and myself in this devotional thread? I would appreciate the help until Blackbird is able to get back online, and we would appreciate the help when he is able once again to write on a consistent basis. PM me if you are interested.

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

September 9, 2004

In Revelation 1:9 the Apostle John is on the isle called Patmos "for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ." He's imprisoned on the "Alcatraz" of his day for---doing everything right and for doing nothing wrong!!

But notice as we move along into verse 10 which says, "I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet."

Thinking about John being "in the Spirit on the Lord's Day---I can't help but feel as if---its a Sunday there on Patmos! The first day of the week! The Lord's Day! Sunday! And look, too, at what he says---"I was in the spirit"---I can't help but feel that John here is "walking in the spirit" here! He was "minding the things of the Spirit."

Romans 8:4-5 says, "That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit." He was "in the Spirit on the Lord's day" walking by faith and not by sight!!

It was there---while John was "in the Spirit on the Lord's day" that he was confronted by the very Lord of that day!! He was confronted by Heaven's "A & O!!" He was confronted by Heaven's "Alpha and Omega!" Heaven's "First and Last" Heaven's "Beginning and End" Heaven's "Trumpet!" Heaven's Jesus!!!

I wonder sometimes!

If we positioned ourselves such as John! If we began to walk in obedience to the word from the Word! If we began really, really to walk by faith and not by sight! What would happen if we really died to the flesh and began to really walk by the Spirit! Let the Spirit inside of us completly dominate us and the words we speak and the walk that we walk!!

I believe it would change the way we think about the "Lord's Day!" It'd change the way we look at Sunday! At Resurrection Day! It'd change the way we see Jesus! We wouldn't see Him as the "Bearded Man of Galilee" but we'd see Him as Heaven's "A & O!!"

Surrender! Crucify! Saturate!

Surrender your will to His!

Crucify your body with the deeds of the flesh!

Saturate yourself with the word from the Word!

It will make all the difference in the world about how you perceive Heaven's Jesus!!

12. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

September 10

Romans 11:30-32, “For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief: Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy. For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.”

How does mercy differ from some of the other qualities of God, such as goodness and grace? God’s goodness is an all-encompassing quality that includes His decrees, His creation, His laws, and His providences. It is extended to all, the elect as well as the non-elect, though in different ways. Grace is undeserved favor with mercy being an aspect of grace that is shown towards the pitiful.

“Mercy ... denotes the ready inclination of God to relieve the misery of fallen creatures.” (Pink) “Mercy is ... an infinite and inexhaustible energy within the divine nature which disposes God to be actively compassionate.” (Tozer)

There are many Scriptures which speak of mercy. When Moses asked to be shown God’s glory, God also spoke to him of His mercy, “And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy. And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.” (Exodus 33:19-20) According to this passage - the very essence of God is mercy.

When David was choosing a punishment for counting the fighting men of Israel, he chose a plague which would come from the hand of God. David’s reasoning is found in 2 Samuel 24:14, “And David said unto Gad, I am in a great strait: let us fall now into the hand of the Lord; for his mercies are great: and let me not fall into the hand of man.” God is merciful - even in His judgments.

Psalm 51:1, “Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.”

Isaiah 55:6-7 promises mercy to anyone who will seek it, “ Seek ye the Lord while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.”

Ephesians 2:4-5, “But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

What mercy - giving sinners life - when they are dead!

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

13. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thank you Dan for the reminder of God's grace and mercy toward us.
    I too would like to see others that are willing to write devotionals.
    God bless you.

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Saturday, September 11, 2004

"The Groom and His Bride"

John is on the isle of Patmos and is carried away in the Spirit on the Lord's day! Revelation 1:10-11 says, "I was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet. Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last . . .."

Heaven's Trumpet! Imagine that!!

Heaven's Alpha and Omega! Imagine that!!

Heaven's First and Last! Imagine that!!

Heaven's Control Center! Heaven's Nucleus! Heaven's Headquarters! Heaven's Commander!

Remember! This series is focused on Heaven's Groom and His Bride! Jesus and His Church!

Notice where John is directed toward!

Revelation 1:12-13, "And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks: And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto . . ."

These seven candlesticks are representative of the church of Jesus Christ! Notice---John's attention is carried to the "midst"---or the middle of the seven candlesticks! He is carried to the one who is the center of attention!

Friend, listen! Jesus is to be the Church's "Center of Attention!" All eyes are to be on the Son of God! All eyes in the church are to be riveted on Jesus! We are to have "eyes" only for Jesus!

Like those Greeks who came to see Jesus----they were caught at the door(so to speak) by Phillip and simply asked to see Jesus!

Today---you take the word from the Word we call Scripture----and ask the Holy Spirit today---"Holy Spirit! As I read---show me Jesus! Show me Him!!" And I believe He will! Through the pages of Scripture the Holy Spirit will show you Him---Heaven's Trumpet! Heaven's Alpha and Omega! Heaven's First and Last!

"Show us today, Heavenly Father---Your Son, Jesus Christ!"

15. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

September 12

What does our text tell us about mercy? Dr. Boice suggests two things:

1. To appreciate mercy, we must see it against the dark background of sin. There are three verses in our text - mercy is mentioned four times. There is another interesting fact about our text - that is the word unbelief (disobedience) is also mentioned four times. John Murray says, “The lesson is obvious. It is only in the context of disobedience that mercy has relevance and meaning.”

Arthur Pink points out a way for us to understand the difference between mercy and grace or even the goodness of God. Our lesson is the angels that did not sin:

“He has never exercised mercy toward them, for they have never stood in any need thereof, not having sinned or come beneath the effects of the curse. Yet they certainly are the objects of God’s free and sovereign grace. First, because of His election of them from out of the whole angelic race (1 Tim 5:21 - I charge thee before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, and the elect angels, that thou observe these things without preferring one before another, doing nothing by partiality). Second, and in consequence of their election, because of His preservation of them from apostasy, when Satan rebelled and dragged down with him one-third of the celestial hosts (Rev 12:4 - And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born). Third, in making Christ their Head (Col 2:10 - And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power; 1 Pet 3:22 - Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him), whereby they are eternally secured in the holy condition in which they were created. Fourth, because of the exalted position which has been assigned them: to live in God’s immediate presence (Dan 7:10 - A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened), to serve Him constantly in His heavenly temple, to receive honorable commissions from Him (Heb 1:4 - Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they). This is abundant grace toward them; but mercy it is not.”

Boice writes, “For God to show mercy, there must first be sin and the misery that attends it. And that is exactly our condition as fallen human beings. Sin abounds! But it is precisely in that context and against that dark and tempestuous background that the mercy of God flashes forth like lightning.”

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Rich in mercy" - what a beautiful phrase of praise to our wonderul God!

Tanks, Dano, for sharing.

17. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

September 14

What does our text tell us about mercy? Dr. Boice suggests two things:

1. To appreciate mercy, we must see it against the dark background of sin.

2. We need mercy if we are to be saved. Paul’s great theme in Romans is salvation of both Jews and Gentiles, by grace through faith. As Paul concludes this discussion - his mind goes to mercy. “On what possible grounds could Gentiles hope to be saved apart from God’s mercy?” (Boice) Search high and low - but you’ll find no other basis! The Ephesian Church was a Gentile church. Paul reminded them that before their conversion they “were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world” (Eph 2:12) We Gentiles have nothing going for us. If we are to be saved, it will only be because of God’s mercy.

The Jews need mercy, every bit as much as the Gentiles. The Jews did have something going for them, in fact they had a great deal going for them. They had the gifts mentioned in Ephesians 2:12 as well as the gifts listed in Romans 9:4-5, “Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises; Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.” But none of these advantages ever saved any Jew. Most of the Jews is Christ,’s day - in Paul’s day - yes even today – are in unbelief. Because of this unbelief Paul says, “For God hath concluded (bound) them all in unbelief (disobedience), that he might have mercy upon all” (Romans 11:32).

“We do not think this way naturally. We think in terms of our own good works and justice. We suppose ourselves to be deserving, which means that we consider ourselves to be better than other people. We are not. Apart from mercy we will perish.” (Boice)

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

18. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

September 16

Luke 18:9-14 gives us the account of the Pharisee and the tax collector. This story is an illustration of how we are to be saved, that being, we must come to God on the basis of His mercy.

This account is based on contrasts. Let’s look at the two characters in the story. In the eyes of men, the Pharisees were highly thought of. They faithfully adhered to the law, and such men as Nicodemus and Paul were both Pharisees. There were few people who were as highly honored in Jewish society as the Pharisees. However, Jesus’ account of the Pharisee gives us a “bad mental image of Pharisees.” (Boice) The prayer of the Pharisee, “God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess,” (Luke 18:11-12) was at best condescending, and at the worst was proud and arrogant.

Now look at the tax collector. No one much cared for tax collectors. That the Jews had to pay taxes was bad enough, but the tax collectors were allowed to collect all the money they could, and keep what was above the tax levy as their own. Tax collectors were also considered as collaborators with the hated Roman army.

The tax collector knew he was a sinner, “God be merciful to me a sinner” (verse 13). See the contrast! The Pharisee was a “righteous” man - the tax collector was a self-admitted sinner. The Pharisee was the center of attention - while the tax collector belonged on the edge of the crowd, out of sight!

Jesus introduces a second contrast! The first contrast seems acceptable, just what human nature would rule acceptable, but this second contrast is unexpected and puzzling. Note Jesus’ words, “I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted” (verse 14).

Are we missing something in this story. Is there more here than meets the eye? The Pharisee seemed righteous, but perhaps the Pharisee was a closet thief, adulterer of blasphemer. Maybe the tax collector was really a good guy, not really as bad as it would seem. But this is not the answer. Inside and outside, each man was a sinner, it’s just that one of them was unaware of his condition. One was a “righteous sinner,” while the other was an “unrighteous sinner.” The big difference between the two men - the tax collector knew he was a sinner - and came to God seeking mercy, and so he found it.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

19. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

September 18

In the account of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector of Luke 18 - there is much to be learned from the Tax Collector’s prayer, “God be merciful to me a sinner” (ver 13). Seven words in English - six words in Greek - but one of the Bible’s most profound prayers.

Let’s delete the middle of the prayer (be merciful to) and look at the rest (God - me a sinner). “These words contain the essential ingredients in all religion – holy God and sinful man – and they express the insight anyone gains when he or she becomes aware of God’s presence: God is a holy God.” (Boice) When we become aware of God in His holiness – we become exceedingly aware of our own sinfulness. The Tax Collector’s prayer indicates that he knew God - even though he had a bad reputation. The Pharisee’s prayer indicates that he did not know God, in fact, when we look at the Pharisee’s prayer – we become painfully aware that the Pharisee was praying to himself – and not to God. The Pharisee did not recognize that he was a sinner, while the Tax Collector saw himself as a sinner.

The middle of the verse (be merciful to) shows the understanding of the Tax Collector. He was “pleading for mercy on the basis of what God has done to provide it. The Greek word used is a verb form of the word for ‘Mercy Seat’ (hilasterion), which refers to the covering of the Ark of the Covenant in the Jewish temple. The Tax Collector’s prayer literally means ‘treat me as a person who comes on the basis of the blood shed on the Mercy Seat as an offering for sin.’” (Boice)

Next time we’ll look at the Mercy Seat in some detail - as it has great significance for us.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

20. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

September 20

The Mercy Seat - it rested atop the Ark of the Covenant. The Ark being a wooden box covered inside and out with pure gold. The lid of the box was the Mercy Seat - which had two cherubim (angels) rising above it. The wings of the cherubim stretched back and upwards. This was the place that God dwelt among His people.

There are two important things that we see associated with the Ark/Mercy Seat. God, dwelling above the Mercy Seat looked down at the Law (which was stored in the Ark). The Law that all of us have broken. This speaks of judgment - because God must judge sin - based upon His holy law.

But we also see mercy. Once a year the high priest would take the blood of an innocent animal and sprinkle it upon the Mercy Seat. The animal - a substitute - an innocent victim - dying in place of the guilty. So when God looked down - instead of seeing the law that had been broken, He saw the blood of the innocent victim.

What a picture - a type of the Lord Jesus - Who would die (the innocent One) for mankind. When God looks down, He now sees that the blood of His Only Son has washed away the sin of the believer. God sees us - dressed in the righteousness of Christ - and declares that we are forgiven - it’s as if we never had broken His law.

The Tax Collector’s prayer teaches this to us. Between God and me - in his prayer - stands mercy. “God be merciful to me, a sinner.” It is no longer a sacrifice that needs to be repeated - as did the animal sacrifices. Jesus Christ gave Himself - once - as an offering for sin, and He now abides at the right hand of His Father - interceding on our behalf.

Thank you God for your mercy!

In Christ,
    Dan Todd