1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coffee House Chapel #5

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Dan Todd, Jul 29, 2004.

1. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Thank you Dan.

God Bless

Sheila

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I'm back! After a week at the Olford Preaching Institute---I'm back! "Thank you" goes to Brother Dan for posting in my place!

I will try to take up where I left off in Revelation Chapter 1 and

"The Groom in all His Glory!"

Revelation 1:13, "And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of Man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle."

Have you ever read the sections of the Sunday newspapers in your local area---you know, the sections that announce wedding engagements and describe the weddings from the day before???
    If you have, you've noticed that the majority of the time---the columnist describes the BRIDE in the attire she wore---going into intimate, emmaculate detail of the gown's description!

But after the description of the Bride's gown is given----you'd notice something like---"OH, YES! The GROOM wore a Tux!!!!" And that's it! No detail! No description! No picture! Not even a hint or a sketch!! Just . . . "The Groom wore a Tux!" Might as well to have worn denim jeans and cowboy boots, huh?????!!!

OOOHHHHHH, but not so with Heaven's Groom! Revelation Chapte One describes Him in intimate detail! He is "decked out" in Heaven's Glory!! If you scan in your own Bible as we look at Revelation Chapter One----you'll see John's description of Heaven's Groom---getting ready for a glorious wedding! Amen???

Lets look at two things John saw real quick

John saw:

I. THE RESURRECTED CHRIST

v. 13, "And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of Man."

At this point in John's life--it had been 60 years since he had seen, touched, and heard Jesus! Sixty years! Then suddenly . . .! Think about that!

When Jesus was resurrected---what sort of body did He have?? He had a human body! Flesh & bone! He could talk! He could walk! He could eat with that resurrected body! He told His disciples in Luke 24:39 to "touch Me! I'm just as human as you! I have flesh and bone just like you do!(paraphase is mine)

When I get to Heaven and see Jesus----He's gonna look like you and me---He's gonna look human because He's gonna BE human!!

I'm convinced that I'll be able to shake His hand---hug His neck---bow down at His feet!!!!!

And here we see Jesus---as Son of Man---forevermore identifying Himself as human! He will dwell among us in His humanity throughout all eternity!! Imagine that!! God in human flesh among us!!!

You remember reading when Jesus was being crucified---that when He died, the Bible says that the Veil of the Temple was torn in two from top to bottom?? You remember reading that?? Matthew 27:50-51 says, "Jesus, when He had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent." The veil was that piece of furnature in the Temple that separated God from man! Man could not go beyond the veil! Man could not dwell where God was! But now, the veil was "done away with!" Paving a way for man to "dwell where God was!"

But have you ever thought----that the veil being torn from top to bottom was also God's way of saying----"I will never have to be seperated from man again!! I will dwell among them---as part of them!!"

Jesus---the Son of Man----in His humanity--dwelling among humanity throughout all eternity!! How about that????

3. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

September 22

Romans 11:30-32, “For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief: Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy. For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.”

Dr. Boice tells us that there are three very important things to remember about mercy:

1. You can appeal to mercy. “The right of God to show mercy to whom He will show mercy, and compassion to whom He will show compassion, cannot be challenged.” (Boice) No one can compel God to grant mercy - else wise it wouldn’t be mercy. But you can certainly appeal to mercy. God’s Word is filled with examples of those who cried out to God for mercy.

2. If you have received mercy, you must be merciful to others. Jesus told of a servant who owed much - and was forgiven by his master. The forgiven servant then prosecuted a man who owed him just a little - and had him thrown into jail for his inability to pay. “The point is that you cannot claim to have been forgiven by God if you are then unforgiving or harsh with other people. The followers of Jesus must be the most merciful of all people.” (Boice)

3. If you have found mercy, you must make it widely known. It is our duty to tell the world of God’s mercy. Yes, God is sovereign. Yes, God has mercy on whom He will. But the “Great Commission” orders the followers of Jesus Christ to spread the Gospel Message - the truth of God’s mercy. God has never rejected anyone who believed on His Son - Jesus Christ.

Come, every soul by sin oppressed,
    There’s mercy with the Lord,
    And He will surely give you rest,
    By trusting in His Word.
    Only trust Him, only trust Him,
    Only trust Him now.
    He will save you, He will save you,
    He will save you now.

If you are reading this devotional - and have never trusted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior - I beg you to call upon His Name - before it is eternally to late. If you do - you will find Him a God of great mercy.

Adapted from “Romans” by Boice.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Thursday, September 23, 2004

"The Christ of Royality"

Revelation 1:13, "And in the midst of the seven candlesticks, one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle."

I believe that this verse describes something that will be seen and experienced by the Redeemed throughout all eternity! These garments that Jesus is dressed in describes royality! This is the robe worn by Old Testament kings. Check the following verses of scripture out

Judges 8:26
    1Samuel 18:4
    1Samuel 24:4
    1Kings 22:10

The garments described also was worn by Old Testament prophets!

In the Septuagent---these robes were the clothing of the High Priests of the day. Added to this description was the golden girdle that was worn by the High Priest in Leviticus 16:4 which states, "He shall put on the holy linen coat, and he shall have the linen breeches upon his flesh, and shall be girded with a linen girdle and with the linen miter shall he be attired: these are holy garments; therefore, shall he wash his flesh in water, and so put them on."

Put this all together and you have a picture of Jesus as Heaven's Prophet, High Priest and King!

The question we can ask today is---what are you going to do with Jesus?? Well, real quick---look over in Psalm 42:7!! Here is what the Psalmist did with Jesus!!

Psalm 42:7, "Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of Thy waterspouts; All Thy waves and Thy billows are gone over me."

I like that phrase, "All Thy waves and Thy billows are gone over me."

It doesn't mean that God was way over his head!! You ever heard that expression, "The preacher is way over my head!"----I've gone into Algebra classes in school and the universities that were "way over my head!"

It means that the Psalmist had completely submerged himself in God!! He was completely submerged in the "water of the word." Amen??

Will you submerge yourself in God today!! In the fact that Jesus is your Prophet! He's gonna tell you the truth about your future! As your Priest-He's gonna tell you the truth about your life right now! And as King---He will rule your eternity! Praise the Lord for Jesus, our Prophet, Priest, and King!

5. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

September 24

Romans 11:33-35, “O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counseller? Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again?”

Studying prophecy is a good thing. Understanding what God is going to do in the future is a good thing. Becoming proud, because we think we have the inside track on what God is going to do in the future is a bad thing.

All too often, when political situations are bad, or very bad, many prophecy loving believers rejoice in the bad news. Their attitude is “If things are getting worse, the Lord must be about to come back!” There is nothing wrong with desiring the Lord’s soon return for His church, but to exult in bad news has no basis in Scripture. The biblical writers did not joy over bad news - they grieved over bad news. When Paul wrote Romans 9-11, he certainly displayed his knowledge of future events - but he was not smug about it. Paul’s purpose in writing our current text is to give us a doxology that leads to glorifying and drawing close to the Lord.

Paul “traced the ways of God in history, and contributed to our knowledge of those ways by revealing that in the last days God will draw the masses of the Jewish people to faith.” (Boice) “And so all Israel will be saved” (Rom 11:26). Where does this prophetic passage lead us? Paul was “not smug about his knowledge - he was rather in awe of God. Paul’s response is to burst forth in the magnificent doxology with which this sections ends.” (Boice)

Paul has been writing about mercy. Joseph Addison wrote about mercy in this hymn of 1712:

“When all thy mercies, O my God,
    My rising soul surveys,
    Transported with the view, I’m lost
    In wonder, love, and praise!”

In this doxology - Paul contemplated the mercies of God. Paul was lost in the wonder of God’s mercy, and as a result wrote this doxology, “O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!” (Ver 33)

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a recipient of God's mercy, for which I'm forever grateful. Thanks, Dan, for sharing.

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Saturday, September 25

"The Glory of Jesus" series

Revelation 1:14 says, "His head and His hairs were white like wool, as white as snow."

This portion of the verse speaks of Jesus' purity and sinlessness and righteousness! John sees Jesus in all of His righteousness!

Now, its a rare commodity for a Southern boy to see a snow storm---but I did once! Way back in the year 1994 in Alabama---it was one of those rare occasions where Northern snow crept down to the South and blanketed the South with snow! Lots of it!! After the storm---the sun came out and shone against that white snow---and the brightness of the snow hurt the eyes---Lily white!

When the Bible speaks of Jesus' being being white as snow---it speaks of His righteousness! The righteousness of Heaven is found in Jesus!!

See?? Man loves to get together with man and together man with man loves to trump up man's righteousness!! OOOOHHHHH, but man in all of his righteousness compared next to the righteousness of the Lord Jesus Christ will be as the Bible says "Filthy Rags!!!" next to Jesus' righteousness!!!

See?? You can't enter Heaven without snow white purity! You cannot enter Heaven without Godly righteousness!! Now matter how hard you work---the Bible says "Not of works, lest any man should boast."----No matter how good you are---the Bible says, "There's none good, no, not one."

Oh, but to enter Heaven--You need Jesus' righteousness!!! And guess what??? He's willing to GIVE you His righteousness!!! Listen to the words of 2Corinthians 5:21, "For He hath made Him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him."

Romans 4:3 says, "God imputeth righteousness without works"---unto David! The word "imputeth" means, "To put to one's account" Friend, when you get saved---when you turn from sin(repent) and turn to Jesus(receive) the Bible says that God will take His righteousness and give it to you! Romans 4:24 says, "Not for his sake alone, but for us also if we believe on Him."---God "imputed" His righteousness to David---but not only to David---but to whom will believe also on Him!! Amen????

Looking at this verse in Revelation where Jesus' head and hair is "white as snow" and "white like wool"----is it any wonder God had Isaiah pen Isaiah 1:18??? Come now, and let us reason together saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."

Halelujah for the righteousness of the Lord Jesus Christ which He "flings" on those who believe on Him abundantly!!!

8. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

September 26

Romans 11:33-35, “O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counseller? Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again?”

In his doxology to this portion of Romans - Paul mentions some important attributes of our Heavenly Father. Boice writes, “In our day, what we want to do is jump on quickly to Romans 12 and ‘get practical,’ rather than taking time to contemplate the perfections of the deity.”

When Spurgeon was but twenty years old, he made the following statement in a sermon on the immutability of God, “the proper study of God’s elect is God. The highest science, the loftiest speculation, the mightiest philosophy, which can ever engage the attention of a child of God, is the name, the nature, the person, the work, the doings, and the existence of the great God whom he call his Father.” Spurgeon argued that thinking about God improves the mind and expands it.

How often do we regularly think about God? We owe all that we are and all that we have to the grace of God! But do we think about Him? Do we worship Him? Do we have time for Him?

A. W. Tozer wrote the following in his book “The Knowledge of the Holy: The Attributes of God, Their Meaning in the Christian Life:”

“The church has surrendered her once lofty concept of God and has substituted for it one so low, so ignoble, as to be utterly unworthy of thinking, worshiping men. This she has done not deliberately, but little by little and without her knowledge; and her very unawareness only makes her situation all the more tragic.

“This low view of God entertained almost universally among Christians is the cause of a hundred lesser evils everywhere among us. A whole new philosophy of the Christian life has resulted from this one basic error in our religious thinking.

“With our loss of the sense of majesty has come the further loss of religious awe and consciousness of the divine Presence. We have lost our spirit of worship and our ability to withdraw inwardly to meet God in adoring silence. Modern Christianity is simply not producing the kind of Christian who can appreciate or experience the life in the Spirit. The words, ‘Be still, and know that I am God,’ mean next to nothing to the self-confident, bustling worshiper in this middle period of the twentieth century.

“The loss of the concept of majesty has come just when the forces of religion are making dramatic gains and the churches are more prosperous than at any time within the past several hundred years. But the alarming thing is that our gains are mostly external and our losses wholly internal; and since it is the quality of our religion that is affected by internal conditions, it may be that our supposed gains are but losses spread over a wider field.”

That quote was published in 1961. The situation has not improved since his day. We have become addicted to self. The me-centered philosophy of modern Christianity (not to mention the unchristian culture) has made the situation worse. Most of us have observed this decline, without being aware that there was a decline.

Boice writes, “ No people ever rise higher than their idea of God. Conversely, a loss of the sense of God’s high and awesome character always involves a loss of a people’s moral values and even what we commonly call ‘humanity.’ We are startled by the utter disregard for human life that has overtaken large segments of the United States. But what do we expect to see when a country like ours openly turns its back on God? We deplore the breakdown of moral standards in the church, even among its most visible leaders. But what do we think should happen when we have focused our worship services on ourselves and our own, often trivial, needs rather than on God?”

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen and amen. [​IMG]

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Monday, September 27, 2004

Revelation 1:14 says, "And His eyes were as a flame of fire."

When Jesus walked the lonesome roads of Galilee---His physical eyes saw what other physical eyes saw! He saw what you and I would have seen had we been there to see! The sky! The trees! Birds! People! But with the spiritual eyes of God--His eyes were able to plumb the depths and scale the heights of every man's heart!

These fiery eyes of Jesus in verse 14 speak of the penetrating judgment of Jesus! They speak of the omniscient knowledge of Jesus! Friend, Jesus is all-knowing! There isn't a thought you can think that He doesn't know about!

Psalm 139:1-3 teaches, "O Lord, Thou hast searched me and known me. Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, Thou understandest my thought afar off; Thou compassest my path and my lying dow, and art acquainted with all my ways."

Early on in John's gospel it was Nathanial who had a question for Jesus

"How knowest Thou me?"

Jesus gave him the answer in John 1:48 when He said, "Before Philip called thee, when thou wast under the Fig tree, I saw thee." I believe that Jesus saw ole Nate with those penetrating eyes of fire!!!!

Friend! Every detail! Jesus knows every detail! More than your wife knows you, Jesus knows you! More than your husband knows you, Jesus knows you! More than you know your children, Jesus knows your children!! The Psalmist proclaimed, "Thou knowest my thoughts from afar off."

I wonder?? What does He know about you??? The answer is---Everything!!! Everything!!! He knows whether you need to be saved today! He knows your distresses and difficulties!! He knows!

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm pretty good at hiding things . . . NOT!

Thanks, BB, for lifting up Jesus!

12. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

September 28

While it is true that we humans are very preoccupied with ourselves and what we possess, we have another debilitating problem. We humans are saddled with a human brain - that cannot comprehend God. “God is not really like anything else we actually experience or know. As a result, there is always something about God that is indescribable, and this makes it hard to think about Him.” (Boice)

When we talk about God - we describe Him in terms that we can understand. In fact, many societies invent gods that look like themselves. As we grow closer to God, we can understand why Paul cried out, “O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments,” because even the great apostle could not adequately describe God.

When Ezekiel had his vision of God - he had a difficult time describing God, because he was seeing something he had never seen before. His description used language of resemblance, “And I looked, and, behold, a whirlwind came out of the north, a great cloud, and a fire infolding itself, and a brightness was about it, and out of the midst thereof as the colour of amber, out of the midst of the fire. Also out of the midst thereof came the likeness of four living creatures. And this was their appearance; they had the likeness of a man.” (Ezek 1:4-5)

As Ezekiel got nearer the throne, his words became less sure, “And the likeness of the firmament upon the heads of the living creature was as the colour of the terrible crystal, stretched forth over their heads above. And when they went, I heard the noise of their wings, like the noise of great waters, as the voice of the Almighty, the voice of speech, as the noise of an host: when they stood, they let down their wings.” (Vers 22, 24)

When Ezekiel finally stood in front of the throne, the only thing he could say was, “As the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud in the day of rain, so was the appearance of the brightness round about. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. And when I saw it, I fell upon my face, and I heard a voice of one that spake.” (Ver 28)

God prohibited the worship of Himself by images in the second commandment. One might ask, “What harm can it do? Don’t images merely focus the attention of the worshiper?”

J. I. Packer has two answers to those questions: First, “Images dishonor God, for they are always less than He is and therefore obscure rather than reveal His glory.” Second, “Images inevitably mislead the worshiper, for they suggest false ideas by comparison.”

God revealed Himself to us in Jesus, yet we have no pictures of Him. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are all revealed to us the same way - through Scripture. “God is always partially hidden, and even the parts we see, we see only because God has revealed them to us in the Bible.” (Boice)

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

13. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Revelation 1:15 says that Jesus had "feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace."

This pictures, I believe, Jesus in all of His righteous judgment! The first time Jesus came He walked the shores of Galilee in compassion! He healed the sick, raised the dead, cleansed the Lepers and preached Heaven's Grace to the multitudes! The next time He comes, He won't come with compassion but He will come with judgment.

In the Old Testament system of sacrifice---the brazen alter was made of brass and a fire was kindled continually there. The sacrifice was placed there picturing God's coming judgment upon sin!

God's judgement upon sin by God was placed upon Jesus on the cross! God judged the sins of the world at the cross---to those who will "look and live" upon Jesus---to those who will repent of their sins and receive Jesus as their Saviour and Lord---their sins are forgiven---placed upon Jesus.

But sin must be judged! All sin of all people! No sin will remain unjudged! This picture of Jesus' feet as brass burning in a furnace---looks forward to the coming Judge! Judge Jesus! For those who refuse Him as Savior and Lord----they will face him as Judge! Heaven's Righteous Judge!

Today, if you've never repented of your sins---turned away from your sins---and if you've never received Jesus as Savior---you have opportunity to do that! If the Holy Spirit is calling you to salvation----repent--turn today and receive Jesus for forgivness of your sins today!

If you are saved----and there is sin in your life---confess it to Jesus today. One of my favorite verses in the Bible is 1John 1:9, "That if we confess our sins before Him, He is faithful and just to forgive us of our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Halelujah for Jesus and His feet burning like brass!!

14. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

September 30

There is a distinction between God’s communicable and incommunicable attributes. Communicable refers to the characteristics about God that He shares with us. These attributes include such things as knowledge, wisdom, love, and mercy – some of the things Paul mentions in this doxology. These attributes of God are attributes that we can relate to - to a certain extent. These are attributes that we possess on a finite level, attributes that God possesses on an infinite level. The incommunicable attributes are attributes that God does not share with us on any level. These attributes include such things as self-existence, self-sufficiency, and eternality.

We will be looking at some of God’s communicable attributes, but first I want to consider three of God’s incommunicable attributes.

1. Self-existence. “This means that God has no origins, that He has always been and that He owes His existence to nobody.” (Boice) When I consider my own existence - I can only say that I am what I am by the grace of God. Do you remember what God told Moses at the burning bush about Himself? Exodus 3:14, “And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.” I AM THAT I AM - none of us can say that and be truthful in saying that - but God can - and He did.

How do we learn? Generally we break things down into their constituent (or elemental) parts - and then we trace those parts back to their origin. “If we can explain how something came to be, we are well on the way to understanding it.” (Boice) The problem is - we cannot do that to God! When we analyze things (all things) - everything points back to God as the only sufficient cause. “But God points back to nothing. He is existent in Himself alone and therefore ultimately is unknowable. God cannot be analyzed and evaluated as created things can be.” (Boice)

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

15. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Friday, October 1, 2004

"The Glory of Christ Jesus"

Revelation 1: 15(as we continue) says, "And His voice as the sound of many waters."

Friend, this pictures the dominating voice of Jesus! He will dominate Heaven!

Remember reading at the Transfiguration account---the Voice out of the cloud in Matthew 17:5?? "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye Him."

Jesus said in John 10 over and again---"My sheep hear my voice." There's something about Jesus that we've got to hear! There's something from Jesus---He is saying something that we've got to hear! We must hear!

At Jesus' arrest and trial---Jesus stood before Herod and Pilate and opened not His mouth! Isaiah said that "as a sheep before his Shearers is dumb, so he opened not His mouth." But now---in Heaven--He's heard from one side of Everlasting to the other side!

Amazeingly--that during the Tribulation period in the book of Revelation---the whole world will rise up to speak against Jesus!! And while the world judged Him at Calvary and He said "Nary a word" in His defense----this time He will rise up and speak---drowning out the voices of His accusers!!

So, there on Transfiguration summit---the voice from the cloud said, "Hear ye Him!" You can hear Him NOW in all of His grace and glory----or----you can hear Him at the Tribulation period in all of His judgment!!

"Hear ye Him!" What's He saying???

16. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

October 2

Last time we began looking at God’s incommunicable attributes - attributes that we humans do not possess, even in the slightest amount. We looked at God’s self-existence. Today we look at:

2. Self-sufficiency. God has no needs - and He depends on no one or thing. We humans are not self-sufficient. We need oxygen to breathe, food to eat, places to reside, clothing to wear, and so on. If we do not have these needs - we would die. In the case oxygen, death would be almost instant. In the case of food, death might take from one to several months. In the case of clothing, depending upon where we live it could be less than an hour (at the north pole). “God does not need anything. In Himself, he is and has everything He needs.” (Boice)

This truth is not accepted by many people, Christians included. Many think that God is like us, and they assume God needs things, “if not to survive, at least to be happy and fulfilled as God.” (Boice) For example, many people imagine that God was lonely - so he created man to keep Him company. Let me suggest to you that the triune God had and continues to have a perfectly fulfilling relationship with Himself.

Some suppose God needs worshipers! If the entire population of the world were to instantly become atheists – “God would be no more deprived by our atheism than the sun would be deprived of light if all of us should become blind.” (Boice)

Of course, others think God needs helpers! They believe that God could not get the job done, unless Christians were here to help Him. Friends, God has given us the privilege to work for Him. In the garden - God gave Adam and Eve meaningful work to do. He has commanded believers to evangelize the world. God even call us “fellow-workers” with Jesus Christ. But be rest assured - all that does not mean that God needs us. “God can manage very well without us and has always done so. That He chooses to use us is due only to His own free and utterly sovereign will.” (Boice)

Friends, if God were not self-sufficient - He would not be God! Let us praise and thank Him for who He is.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

17. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Thanks Dan; Very thought-provoking in the sense that it goes to the very heart of God. Does God have need of anything or anyone? No. But that said, (and I realize I must be careful here) look at what God has done. He has need of nothing, but God Himself became flesh to suffer and die for us:
    Why? The only conclusion I can come to is the fact that God IS Love. He loves. Man messed things up by sinning, but God did not give up on man and just destroy all of mankind. No, not only did He not destroy man, He Himself came down here, took on flesh to provide a permanent-perfect blood sacrifice for us.
    There does seem, to me, a compusion to love on God's part here, if not, why do what He did? God loves to give, and I do believe in the saying from I don't know who, "God's greatest blessings go, through hands that serve Him here below."
    I, with the "pea brain" that I have cannot fully understand God and His wondrous works. So, perhaps I will, as a child, fall back on, "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so!"

18. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Sunday, October 3, 2004

"The Controlling Christ"

Revelation 1:16, "And He had in His right hand seven stars."

We've been talking about the Christ of the Revelation! John was "in the Spirit on the Lord's day" and was given a vision---and then God tells him to ink it down so we can see on the printed page what John saw in the vision and by faith receive!

Jesus is seen here in verse 16 as the Christ who controls!! "And He had in His right hand seven stars."

The phrase "right hand" pictures control and regulation! The word says that Jesus is seated at the "right hand of the Father"---that is, in a position of control!

It was Salome's request that her two boys, James and John, be seated---"one on the right, and other on the left"---thus signifiying a "given control over"---a position of authority, control, and regulation!!!

But here in Revelation's text above(1:16) we see it is Jesus in control! Friend, no matter how chaotic your past may have been, no matter how chaotic your present life is, no matter how chaotic your future may wind up being---remember!!! Jesus is in control!!!

The disciples were on the Sea of Galilee---being tossed around like a rag doll in the mouth of a Pit Bull dog!! What did Jesus do?? He rose from a sleep and with a word---overruled!!!Amen???

Are you surrendering your "wildness" to the control of the Lord Jesus?? Is He in total control of every area and arena of your life?? With a word----He will rise to overrule and then to rule you!! Then discover the sweetness of Jesus as He overrules darkness and gives peace and comfort!!

19. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

October

We have been considering God’s incommunicable attributes - attributes that we humans do not possess, even in the slightest amount. We’ve looked at God’s self-existence and His self-sufficiency. Today we look at:

3. Eternality. How do you briefly describe this attribute? Simply stated - it has to do with His everlastingness or perpetuity. “In other words, it means that God is, always has been, and always will be, and that He is ever the same in His infinite and eternal being.” (Boice)

This is something that I cannot comprehend - no beginning and no ending - always there. I’ve often used the perfect circle as a picture of eternity - never ending and no beginning. But I’ve discovered that there is no good way to picture this attribute of God! Of course the same can be said of the other incommunicable attributes of God that we’ve looked at!

But though I cannot understand eternality - it has a tremendous practical bearing upon all of us. That being - “God can be trusted to remain as He has revealed Himself to be.” (Boice) What does that mean to us? It means that what we read in the Bible remains “as true of God today as ever it was, and what others before us have found to be true about God we will find to be true also.” (Boice) God loved us in Christ before the foundation of the world - and we can be certain that He will continue to love us – forever! “Since God has purposed all things from before creation, we can be sure that those purposes will be worked out perfectly.” (Boice)

Friends, there is a most sobering aspect to God’s eternality. God will be present at the end of the world - just as He was present at the beginning. We can never escape Him - and we will all have to give an account of what we have done with our lives.

My prayer is that you’ve trusted Christ as you Lord and Savior - and will be able to stand in His presence dressed in the righteousness of Christ. But be warned - if you have never trusted Christ - you will stand in His presence dressed in your own filthy garments of self-righteous, which is unrighteousness – and you will be found wanting. You will hear those terrible words, “depart from me ye workers of iniquity.” Friend - if you are lost in your sin - trust Christ as Savior - before it is eternally too late for you.

In Christ,
    Dan Todd

20. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Dan for all the work.