1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

'Cognitive dissonance' in worship

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Matt Black, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

Matt, I heard you loudly and clearly. The problem usually is that people don't LIKE what you are saying because it forces them to have to confront something the prefer or at least sympathize with OR they want to be the smartest person in the room and suddenly be the "Illuminator" with an even BETTER observation.

Yes, Jesus calls us to come weary, broken, repentant, troubled and He promises to be the remedy, and He is.

But so often the remedy being prescribed from pulpits and the nonsensical garbage going on in churches such as dancing princesses, group therapy, love hugs to make you feel good and so on are NOT the remedies prescribed by Jesus.

Dancing, therapy (in many forms), hugs (and any other feel good experience one wishes to add) are part of life but NOT prescriptions for SPIRITUAL care. But they are passed off for it. As well, neither is horrible "preaching" or "teaching".

It sounds clever for people to say, "You should come to church to give and not get" or "What do you have for Jesus?". Honestly both are borne out of ignorance.

To require someone to come only to give means no one is permitted to have needs. That is simply ignorant of reality. What is the purpose of the teacher? To teach those who have a need to be taught. What is the purpose of the gospel, to offer forgiveness to those that are not redeemed? And so on and so on.

The good shepherd FEEDS his sheep. He restores their health through sound teaching. He shows error, leads the way to the right path and comforts those in need. HOW? Generally through SOUND DOCTRINE.

God's promises are made clear. The understanding of the truth is made clear. How to rightly apply the truth is made clear and the hungering sheep is then feed, he is ministered to and given spiritual nourishment resulting in edification and growth.

A person has nothing to offer Jesus because Jesus isn't in need, you and I are friend. Now the Lord invites you, nay, commands you, to exercise your volition and receive from Him so that you may bear fruit. But that fruit is his and without Him you can do nothing.

*A final comment. The reason all this nonsense is tolerated and promoted in evangelical churches today is because many people are without real answers. They really have no ability to make mature decisions. It is a game with few rules and anyone that sets a boundary any more has 1,000 spiritual infants who imagine themselves mature and unfortunately are treated this way by too many, jumping up to protest and argue.

#21 Alex Quackenbush, Dec 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2007
  2. skypair

skypair Active Member

I refuse to go to Father's Day and Mother's Day services for this very reason! If you are a father or mother on that day, you go home feeling like trash!

I'm with you --- "dumbed down" songs of worship that either don't say anything or twist theological truth. And I'm for positive preaching but make it "actionable" and pertinent in the life of the average Christian for heaven's sake! Worship and life should go on daily and will lead us, I'm convinced, out of our life challenges rather than over them.

What you are expressing is what half the church is feeling --- gi'me a hand here! I'm saved but I can't seem to grasp the LIFE of Christ, the "bread" He offered me to eat.

I'll pray for you and your church, Matt. :praying: Can I suggest something, though? When you go to church, fellowship with other Christians. hear their problems and see if they maybe have experienced yours. My goal would be to make church more like this (1Cor 12:12-26). Paul gives a good accounting of this aspect and I think by hearing and helping others, we realize how manageable our own problems are.

skypair

#22 skypair, Dec 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2007
  3. skypair

skypair Active Member

I read the other night that "good preaching is giving someone something they need disguised as something the want." Amen!

skypair

4. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers, guys!