1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cohabitation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Gershom, Nov 18, 2006.

1. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Matthew 19:4-6; Genesis 38:8; I Corinthians 6:15-16, "Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.
    16. What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh."

Is there not even one of these men you can believe?
    Your wish for me will never come true. I show you marriage and all you can think about is fornication and/or adultery. Don't understand why you are blind to what has been said. I have presented enough scripture for you to know we in His Body know the danger when sinning with our Bodies - "But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
    18. Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
    19. What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?"

I agree with the Bible on your subject, and I see the Book you read has something to say about it.

The marriage act outside of marriage of man and womnn (there is no other kind of marriage for we humans) is wrong.

Perhaps it best you read the above scriptures furnished from your bible. Have you finished reading your "source" book? If not, perhaps it will agree with His Word before its ending.

2. ituttut

ituttut New Member

I'm on your side of the line, Christian friend. I would hope there are none here that would have any bad thoughts about David/Jonathan, Paul/Titus and Timothy, and Naomi/Ruth. Some may even wonder about some others in the Bible that were very close.

3. standingfirminChrist

Don't understand why i am blind to what you say? Because it is incessant babbling... doesn't line up with Scripture in the least. As you said, it is your 'assumptions', and you are placing 'your assumptions' in the Word of God, not allowing the Spirit to show you the truth.

4. standingfirminChrist

MARRIAGE

"The act of uniting a man and woman for life; wedlock; the legal union of a man and woman for life. Marriage is a contract both civil and religious, by which the parties engage to live together in mutual affection and fidelity, till death shall separate them. Marriage was instituted by God himself for the purpose of preventing the promiscuous intercourse of the sexes, for promoting domestic felicity, and for securing the maintenance and education of children" (Webster).

Malachi explains that marriage is more than the sexual union; it is a covenant before God and man (Mal 2:14), and it is this covenant that God blesses by making the two one (Mal 2:15).

Marriage was the first institution ordained by God after the creation of man (Ge 2:18-25), and it is the bedrock of the human society. Anything which corrupts marriage and the home is a direct threat to society as a whole. This is one reason why sexual immorality and homosexuality are great crimes which were punishable by death under the Mosaic law (Le 20:1-27).

From Genesis we see that marriage is the uniting of one man and one woman before God for the purpose of creating a new family unit (Ge 2:22-24). The marriage union is holy and the sexual relationship within this union is holy (Heb 13:4). One of the proper and God-ordained purposes of marriage is the satisfaction of the sexual drive (1Co 7:2-5).

IS FORNICATION MARRIAGE? - Some have taught that the sexual union between men and women equates marriage, but this is not the case. The married man and woman become one spiritually and physically by an act of God, not by an a mere act of sexual intimacy (Mt 19:5-6). The oneness between Adam and Eve was created when God brought them together as man and wife even before they knew each other intimately (Ge 2:22-23).

Immoral sexual relations do produce a unity between the partners (1Co 6:15-18), but the Bible nowhere says this equates marriage. When a married man and woman commit adultery or when a single man and woman commit fornication, they are joined together in their sin, but they are not thereby married. If this were the case, the fornicators would not need to be married; they would already be married to their partners through the sexual relationship. This is not the case, though. According to the Mosaic law, if a man enticed an unmarried girl and had relations with her, he was obligated to marry her unless her father refused to allow that (Ex 22:16-17). The law did not say the two were already married because of their sexual union. The fact that the girl's father could refuse to allow his daughter to be the man's wife is proof that they were not already wed.

The New Testament teaches the same thing. In 1Co 5:1, for example, we see the case of the church member who committed the sin of fornication with his father's wife. The Bible says the woman was the wife of the sinner's father, but it does not say that the woman was also the sinner's wife because of the sexual relationship. In 1Co 7:2, fornication is contrasted with marriage; it is not equated with marriage. Christ's dealings with the woman at the well in John chapter four also teaches that fornication is not marriage. The woman was living with a man, but the Lord Jesus Christ plainly stated that he was not her husband (Joh 4:18).

Fornication is a union but it is not marriage. As noted earlier, Malachi explains that marriage is more than the sexual union; it is a covenant before God and man (Mal 2:14), and it is this covenant that God blesses by making the two one (Mal 2:15).

Way of Life Encyclopedia

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It is obvious that living together in a sexual manner outside of marriage is a sin against God. Some of you all have taken situations and applied the principle in ridiculous ways, absent common sense. Another thought comes to mind, since everyone on this board has committed adultry, who are you to cast the first stone? What makes a mortal, sinful person the judge or standard setter of anything?

SFIC is right, marriage is an act of God, not a sexual union. The situations I am referring to above are those where people live together for economic or other reasons. The sister and brother example is the worst one, as like was mentioned earlier, never thought anything about it until read here. Why is it that anytime we see a situation where evidence suggests people are living together not for sexual union, we naturally assume the worst, our minds go to the gutter, and we start flapping our jaws about the situation.

As far as the "hint" of something wrong, absent evidence and using common sense, there is no hint, unless one is looking for a reason for a hint.

#65 saturneptune, Nov 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2006
  6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying. Rom. 13:13

koite koy'-tay from 2749; a couch; by extension, cohabitation; by implication, the male sperm:--bed, chambering, X conceive. (Strong's)

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because we know that the hearts of men are wicked. It would be an exceptional case indeed in which an unmarried couple living together isn't doin' it, and I know of no such case, though I've known and know many people who cohabitate.

8. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Brilliant.

It's love and commitment that God see's.

Is the marraige ceremony like baptism, a outward decleration? Marraige is to be honoured.

#68 David Michael Harris, Nov 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2006
  9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The married man and woman become one spiritually and physically by an act of God"

Then is a couple-- a Christian couple, we will say-- which is married in a secular ceremony, as by a judge, married or not?

Also, in all this "appearance of evil," including a any man living any woman under any conditions, was it sinful for Lazurus to be living with Mary and Martha, his sisters? As well as M&M to be living with him and with each other? All this could have been a hint.

10. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Words of Wisdom

11. kubel

kubel New Member

No. If that's the case, then there are plenty of occurrences in the Bible where people could have got a false idea about Christ. Did Christ sin simply because other people assumed wrong about him?

People use 1 Thessalonians 5:22, "Abstain from all appearance of evil" and say that anything that you do that may appear (from others) to be evil (regardless of the truth) is sin. The word appearance here means forms. Abstain from all forms of evil. If I have a roommate for purely economical reasons, and my neighbor sees two men leaving a single apartment, that neighbor can get a bad idea about the two of us.

People judge wrongly based on their assumptions. The sin is not on us for someone elses inaccurate judgment.