1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coincidence or Divine appointment?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by HeDied4U, May 14, 2004.

1. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When something happens in your spiritual life, whether it is 'miraculous' or not, do you consider it a divine appointment, or just coincidence?

Let me give you an exapmle. I have been going through a very rough stretch of life of late, especially spiritually. I have been very discouraged, and have suffered some defeats. It seems as if God has been far away and silent. Well anyway, I was [sort of] praying last night that God would speak to me; to give me some indication that He was indeed still there. Well, I woke up this morning with the cold of the century and basically feeling like a piece of gum on the bottom of a shoe (one of my more favorite expressions :D ), so I called in sick and crawled back into bed. Unable to get to sleep, I decided to flip through the channels to see if there was anything on that would put me to sleep. Well, as it turned out, I came across a ministry program that caught my attention. The topic was the source of our strength, mainly Jesus, and what we can experience when we remain in Him. The message went on to say that to remain in Him, we need to stay in the Bible, pray without ceasing, and fellowship with other believers. What really struck me is the fact that, although these things haven't totally stopped in my life, they have diminished over the last 3 to 4 weeks. That message made quite an impact on me, and has got me to thinking about what I have, and haven't, been doing these last few weeks.

So, my question would be this..was all of this just one big coincidence, or did God have a hand in me being on the right channel at the right time, thus answering my prayer to let me know He was still there? Was it just coincidence, or was it indeed a divine appointment? I think I'll be leaning towards the latter.

God Bless!!!

Adam [​IMG]

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Let me think....when I'm low on money and a customer hands me more than twice what I was owed, is that Providence or coincidence? Hmmm, knowing that God meets all of our needs whether financial or spiritual, I'm going with Providence.

Btw, this kind of thing has happened enough to me that I KNOW God is taking care of my needs. He will if we let him. (and give Him the glory)

3. Ronald

Ronald New Member

No, nothing is a coincidence for the Christian. For we are guided by the indwelling Holy Spirit. And we also have guardian angels that watch over us as well. But despite all the divine guidance and angelic protection, NONE can interfere with OUR CHOICES in life. God allows us to make a good decision or a bad decision. We are not robots.

Also Satan never sleeps. He still can influence us THROUGH THE WORLD AROUND us and by unsaved acquaintances. To be a Christian we must learn to DIE to self and allow Christ to live his life in us. This can only be accomplished by reading and meditating on his word and frequent prayer.

I always told my sons the three guidelines in keeping close to Christ. They are, reading your bible, prayer and attending church. If you begin to neglect just one of these you will backslide rather quickly.

No there are no coincidences, but only a life of CHOICES. Continue in the faith and you will always have peace within your soul. God bless you this day.