1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Cold Mountain" Review

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by rlvaughn, Dec 28, 2003.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anyone seen Cold Mountain?
    Heard the music on CD?

What are your thoughts on the movie and/or the music?

I haven't seen the movie, but have heard: pro - a good story line that follows the book fairly well; and con - violence and some sexual content.

I have the CD. Some Sacred Harp acquaintances are singing on it. I like the music overall, with my favorites (for now) in this order:
    </font>
    • Track 19 - Idumea by Sacred Harp Singers at Liberty Baptist Church near Henagar, Alabama; This is said to be used during a vicious battle scene. The Charles Wesley words and minor modal tune would be quite haunting in that context - And am I born to die, to lay this body down, and must my trembling spirit fly, into a world unknown?</font>
    • Track 9 - I'm Going Home by Sacred Harp Singers at Liberty Baptist Church</font>
    • Track 13 - Lady Margret by Cassie Franklin, a Sacred Harp singer (an old ballad sung acapella; a wonderful piece, but it was not used in the movie)</font>
    • Track 2 - Like a Songbird that has Fallen by the Reeltime Travelers</font>
    • Track 7 - Am I Born to Die by Tim Eriksen (Tim is also a Sacred Harp singer)</font>
    • Track 3 - I Wish my Baby was Born by Tim Eriksen, Riley Baugus & Tim O'Brien</font>
    • Track 4 - The Scarlet Tide by Alison Krauss</font>
    • Track 14 - Great High Mountain by Jack White</font>
    • Track 8 - You will Be My Ain True Love by Alison Krauss</font>
    • Track 5 The Cuckoo by Tim Eriksen & Riley Baugus</font>
    • Track 1 The Wayfaring Stranger by Jack White (not my favorite rendition of The Wayfaring Stranger, but the one on the CD is much better than he sung it on the A&E special)</font>
    • Track 11 - Christmas Time Will Soon be Over by Jack White</font>
    • Track 12 - Ruby with the Eyes that Sparkle by Stuart Duncan & Dirk Powell</font>
    • Track 6 - Sittin' on Top of the World by Jack White</font>
    • Track 10 - Never Far Away by Jack White</font>
    • Tracks 15-18 - Music by Gabriel Yared</font>
    Ralph Stanley was involved in arranging at least one song, but he is not singing on any of them.

2. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    B-bump. Anyone?

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I heard the movie was good.

4. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I broke down and went to see it. The music connections enticed me, but from now on I'll just stick to the CD. It is a very good story that was done well, IMO. But, on the other hand, I would not recommend that anyone go see it. There were two scenes that were unnecessary to the movie and could have been "left to the imagination". The battle scene at the very beginning of the movie is pretty graphic as well, but that is really the only battle in the movie (there are some shootings, though).