1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

College Football Countdown: 3-1 Texas, Oklahoma and Florida

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Revmitchell, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So 2009 starts where 2008 left off, as Oklahoma and Texas come into this season in almost everyone’s mind as the clear cut No. 2 and No. 3 ranked teams in the country, behind only Florida. But trying to figure out which team goes where is like choosing between cheesecake and carrot cake in the dessert line; there’s no wrong choice (of course if you were Kirstie Alley, you’d probably choose both. Moving on).

More Here

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see any way that Florida fails to go 14-0 this season. It will be an upset if any team beats them, including Texas and Oklahoma.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

This is a likely bet however to quote the much loved Steve Spurrier " Any team can lose on any given Sat." But I do look for them to hold the Crystal again this year. I do see Arron's analysis as being pretty good.

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think all 3 are too dependent on their experienced QB's for a MNC run. IMO it's likely that at least one will lost its QB for significant playing time, which could make big difference. This is likely to be surprising, but I am predicting Baylor to be a darkhorse in the Big 12 South. Though I forget his name as of now, their QB is more like Vince Young (the college VY) than anyone I have seen since. While they don't have the overall personnel to beat Texas or Oklahoma, I think they can contend with any other team in the Big 12 if they have an improved defense.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Much loved Steve Spurrier? In the Steve Spurrier household, maybe.

I don't know if we should go ahead and hand FL the crown yet. They have a couple of games that are loseable. Urban has a way of under-preparing and suffering let downs. I think they're clearly the best team in the SEC, but I could see them stumbling once on the way to Atlanta. I do think they'll win the NC, but with a loss.

The biggest question about the Gators? Who gets injured while they run it up on my Vols and little Lanie at the Swamp this year? If Eric Berry's still in the game, my advice to the reptiles is "back off." Ask Moreno and a couple of Bama receivers what it's like to meet Eric when the game's out of hand. Then again, the game doesn't have to be out of hand for Mr. Berry to hit you so hard that your children will be born dizzy.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, but even the most rabid Razorback fan has a hard time really believing that the Hogs will defeat the Gators - this season. But we will be hopeful. :)

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was said in jest although I do not get what the issue is with him other than he coached so many winning games. Just another winning coach folks love to hate based on a lot of sour grapes. I am glad to see USC did not start out over rated for once.

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

*cut to Kirstie Allie saying, "Hey! What do I have to do with this?"

So, it's a bad thing that Texas, Oklahoma and Florida are too dependent on their best player?

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, there was no good-or-bad judgment in that. It's just that if one of them loses its quarterback, it wouldn't be the same team.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is true of almost all teams college or professional

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Spurrier had some success to be sure, but his antics rubbed way too many the wrong way. Caught urinating in public, no control over his players (Thug U went north), and the ubiquitous game time whining. He did mellow a bit late. Some point to 2000 as his turning point for his verbage. His Gator teams slipped and no longer were a factor in the SEC race (he won four of the first five SEC title games, but after that won only won and was embarassed in another, on the way to becoming a doormat for Tennessee's path to Atlanta. Neutral media members, to a man, have said they can't stand Spurrier because of his treatment of people. I've talked to countless refs and other folks associated with the SEC, and they almost unanimously say that Spurrier is one of the worst to deal with. And I can name some FL players who couldn't care for Spurrier at all. So I don't think it's just jealousy.

That said..I always found Spurrious to be entertaining. Did I like the jabs at UT? No, but it created the illusion of a rivalry and got FL focused on the stumbling block to their conf success. Worked for him.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Been a Gator fan all my life. I never seen this during Spurriers time.