1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

College Football News.com Bowl Projections

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by KenH, Aug 4, 2006.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Interesting. It will be fun to look back come bowl time and see how correct these predicitions are.

3. leesw

leesw Member

Roll Tide!

Alabama will be good this year!

4. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

college bowl games

8 of the big twelve teams are predicted to go to bowl games. The only ones not predicted are Baylor, OSU, Ks State and U Kansas but OSU may make it with a little luck.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    9 of the 12 schools in the best conference in the nation, the SEC, are predicted to go to bowl games. Only Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky are left off of the list.

6. cjnreb

cjnreb New Member

I thought that the Bowl projections were insane. I get so sick of hearing about Auburn and David Cutcliffe at UT. Now, I am a little bit biased, but I do believe that people will be suprised when Ole Miss makes it to a better bowl than the Independence bowl. Auburn playing for the national championships is like the Saints winning the SuperBowl.

7. PastorSBC1303

Give me a break. Have you completely missed the Auburn teams the last few years? A couple years ago it can be argued that Auburn was as good as anyone else in the country going undefeated. Comparing them to the Saints is no where close. I guess your bias really is showing. :thumbsup:

8. cjnreb

cjnreb New Member

I have seen Auburn play the past couple of years and hear about them and Alabama every day of my life for the past four years. To base the predictions on the past couple years is not very wise. Look at Tennessee who ended up under
    .500. They were ranked very high. Anything can happen especially in the SEC. I don't think that any of the SEC teams will be vying for a National championship.:thumbs:

9. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There were very good reasons for UT's flop that had been lying under the surface ever since Sander's took over as OC. They finally manifested themselves last year.

Auburn doesn't have those reasons that I can see. My personal opinion is that it is unlikely that anyone other than WVU has a good chance to go undefeated. Auburn and LSU look to be the two strongest teams in the SEC and I would give both about the same chances of winning out as USC, ND, Ohio State, Texas, or several other good teams you might think of.

As far as an SEC team competing for the NC, I can think of at least 5 that have that kind of talent if things fall their way: Tenn, UGA, UF, Aub, LSU.

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That sounds like someone who needs to go back to their own folks and tell them to stop letting good coaches go. Cut did a good job at Ole Miss as did Tuberville.

Your posts sound like sour grapes.

BTW, if you lived in a state with Bama and Auburn... who in the world would want to talk about Ole Miss?

11. cjnreb

cjnreb New Member

Actually, I am glad to have the coach that we do have. I guess you can call it favortism. It's always nice to see fellow cajuns make a name for themselves as Coach O has done. As far as talking about Ole Miss in Alabama, there are a few of us in Northwest AL. Our church members like to rub it in, but I do the same. It's all in fun. I will agree that Tuberville did an excellent job at Ole Miss, but Cutcliffe inherited great talent from Tuberville with the exception of Eli. O is having to weed out Cutcliffe's guys because they are not up to par. The SEC is always the most interesting conference to watch as you never know what will happen from week to week.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six counting Arkansas. :thumbs:

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two "if's" would have made me agree with that as an extreme long shot. IF Mustain had come in and played like a Senior and IF the star tailback hadn't been hurt... Arkansas would have had an outside shot on a very, very good season.

As it is, Mustain will be asked to play like a Senior on a team with mediocre receivers and no running game. I really like Coach Nutt and hope that Arkansas will give him a couple of more years but they could lose patience after this year.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're information is outdated, Scott. You need to read up on the makeup of this year's team, not last year's team.

Evidently, you are not aware of team members such as Felix Jones, Michael Smith, Peyton Hillis, Damien Williams, Marcus Monk, and Casey Dick - just to name a few.

Hog fans have every reason to expect at least an 8-4 season topped off with a victory in the Cotton Bowl.

[​IMG]

15. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't really think I'd like to hinge my hopes on Casey Dick. He may be much better than many think but for the most part people think he's holding the job til Mustain is ready. Word is that he struggled with the new system in spring ball as well.

Arkansas has generally had a strong running game but that is kind of a strength by necessity. Last year, they had one of the worse passing games in CFB.

Jones is a nice back up and I personally hope that he takes So Cal by surprise. They've probably read the McFadden headlines too. Jones could surprise them. That said, he can't do it alone every week and Smith is an unknown quantity.

Monk has potential for greatness but the drop off behind him seems significant.

I overstated when I said "no running game". The line is still there and enough talent to be productive... but nothing like what they can be with McFadden. The passing game will have to come out of nowhere. One WR looks decent but overall that group appears mediocre.

I hope you are right and they go 11-2... losing to the Vols twice.:thumbs: ;)

Realistically though, I think they'll struggle early due to inexperience and the McFadden loss. I expect them to lose to USC, Bama, and Auburn early then UT and LSU late. At 7-5 they'll go bowling.

16. PastorSBC1303

My prediction: by the middle of the year Ken and Joseph are doing their normal whining about how bad things are and that they need a new coach, yadda yadda yadda....

:)

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will state flat out that I think that Arkansas will go to a bowl game this year with at least an 8-4 record and I think that Tennessee will be no better than 6-6(I don't know if that means a bowl game for the Volunteers or not). I think ya'll will be looking for a new head coach for 2007.

You really don't know much about Felix Jones, do you? And you really do need to read up on the Arkansas receiver corps for the 2006 season. Your understanding is way behind the curve on that subject.

Oh, and I wouldn't count McFadden out for the game against Southern California, regardless of what you may have heard.

18. PastorSBC1303

:laugh: hmm let's remember some of Ken's other predictions concerning college football.

• USC will demolish Texas. Oops, didn't happen.
    • Butch Davis will be the new Arkansas coach. Oops, didn't happen.
    • Arkansas will be 8-4 this year with a bowl game? You make the call :thumbs: :laugh:

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's save this thread and check back in late November. :smilewinkgrin:

20. PastorSBC1303

:smilewinkgrin: You got it.